Any BBQ recommendations?

TSG

Hi all,

New user. Hoping to ask a few queries about some camping kit.

I actually own a tent for my camping, but thought that this question would encompass most campers.

Anyone got some good recommendations on decent barbecues?

Me and my mates have started planning some trips, but we can't live off portable BBQs forever ...

Had a look at a few on amazon but I'm not very well informed on which ones work best:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kbabe-Stainless-Outdoors-Barbecues-Multicolor-Orange/dp/B06XD6Z23Y/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536321801&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=camping+barbecues&psc=1

We're going to have a whip around to afford it, so I should think we have a reasonable budget.

Cheers if you can help.

We use a portable bbq which we had from Lidl 3 years ago and have seen them there since. Viewed from the side they are a X shape and close up to fold flat for easy storage. Not much money - I think £10 /£12 'ish. We use it with those pre packs of charcoal that you light the paper so its clean and easy. We saw some the same type in Halfords that looked like stainless steel so we got one as back up but have not used it yet as the original is still o.k.

I have 2. One has a battery powered rotisserie and cost me about 8 Ff ( french francs) when I bought it in the 80's still does a wonderful job and the rotisserie bit is the envy if other campers. 
The other is a cheap Wok with holes drilled in it and a piece of weld mesh for the grid. It sits atop an old pan. Wok was a couple of £'s from a market, as was the pan. Have enjoyed many a beer watching these work, and then the food is pretty good too! No need to spend lots. 

MrsJ - 2018-09-07 4:30 PM

We use a portable bbq which we had from Lidl 3 years ago and have seen them there since. Viewed from the side they are a X shape and close up to fold flat for easy storage. Not much money - I think £10 /£12 'ish. We use it with those pre packs of charcoal that you light the paper so its clean and easy. We saw some the same type in Halfords that looked like stainless steel so we got one as back up but have not used it yet as the original is still o.k.

They where removing them from Lidl on Wednesday evening, as end of season!

Depends how much you want to spend, and how big you can carry

PJay

Hi Tom, in this country amongst the RV community the Webber Baby Q is the standout leader. There are a few pretenders that are supported by a minority but the high top Q is king. There is a strong soft carrybag available making it easy to fit in the hold of a motorhome or in the boot of a car if you are tenting it.The lighter weight models are probably good if weight or space is an issue. When we tented we had a two burner gas stove on a stand. There was a BBQ plate as an option. We sat a gas bottle beside the stove with a long extension pipe screwed into the top of the gas bottle. On top was a gas lamp and the BBQ screwed into a tee in the extension tube. It feed our family of 4 for several years. The downside was the gas lamp needed a new lintel? (Edit: Mantle) almost every trip due to vibration when travelling destroyed it. I would be using an led lamp today. In summary gas every time for me. Cheers,

https://www.weberbbq.com.au/barbecues/weber-q/baby-q/baby-q-premium-q1200au/

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/camp-cooking/camping-stoves/coleman-triton-2-burner-stove/90050554?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw_rTg8Gq3QIVDQUqCh1O2gwTEAQYAiABEgLdjPD_BwE

Charcoal BBQ do have a place on a campsite as long as it's as far away from my unit as possible :D The acrid stench of lighter fuel, coupled with great billows of smoke causing many to close windows and doors while enjoying the great outdoors :-( No real problem with gas operated BBQ apart from knowing what's on the menu by guessing if it will be undercooked chicken or burgers. The bright side though of this pagan act is to watch while they sit with umbrella over them when it starts raining trying to look that they are enjoying this experience.

chas - 2018-09-08 7:19 AM

Charcoal BBQ do have a place on a campsite as long as it's as far away from my unit as possible :D The acrid stench of lighter fuel, coupled with great billows of smoke causing many to close windows and doors while enjoying the great outdoors :-( No real problem with gas operated BBQ apart from knowing what's on the menu by guessing if it will be undercooked chicken or burgers. The bright side though of this pagan act is to watch while they sit with umbrella over them when it starts raining trying to look that they are enjoying this experience.

May I second the above statement.

Alan

chas - 2018-09-08 7:19 AM

You, or the people next to you , obviously have no idea how to use a charcoal BBQ correctly from your description of what happens

For me the Weber go anywhere solidly built will last for years I have had mine for about 12 now and still good as new and used a lot. As for lighter fuel never! Now wood and wax starters are so good and use quality charcoal not supermarket crap. One advantage of the GO is when cooking is finished you can close the vents and it will be cold enough to move in about an hour

polo - 2018-09-08 6:23 PM

For me the Weber go anywhere solidly built will last for years I have had mine for about 12 now and still good as new and used a lot. As for lighter fuel never! Now wood and wax starters are so good and use quality charcoal not supermarket crap. One advantage of the GO is when cooking is finished you can close the vents and it will be cold enough to move in about an hour

Agree 100%. The only thing I would add is the use of a small chimney starter to get the coals fully alight before emptying onto the charcoal grate. I also find the Weber briquettes give a good, long lasting heat.

In my opinion the disposable barbecues take some beating. Easily found for as little as just £1.....no faffing around with cleaning, easily packed, take up very little room in vehicle, light up....wait 10 minutes, chuck the meat on and job done! Once finished with some water poured over soon cools it down enough to chuck in the bin.

My son has a very expensive gas powered Weber on their patio at home. Still looks like brand new as they've only used it a couple of times.

Many of the purpose built barbies seem overpriced to me. If you must have this type of 'barbi' then you won't go wrong with an old oil drum cut down to size. Doesn't take much skill to knock one up, will cost a fraction of any fancy purpose built, and last for years.

Hi guys. Cheers for the responses. I've taken a look through.

Saw an option of one of these 'smokeless' charcoal barbecues (which I can't easily get my head around!). They sound convenient though.

Has anyone tried one/owned one?

Some good reviews for it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lotusgrill-Smokeless-Charcoal-Barbecue-Anthracite/dp/B008ZSNNSA

Managed to find a cheaper one here:

https://caravanandmotorhomeparts.com/products/teide-bbq-by-feuerdesign

Cheers.

My first thoughts would be, how easy is it going to be to clean...thoroughly...and whilst camped in a field...?

I prefer something simple and that I can easily line with foil making the clean up easier...

I don't want to be spending ages soaking and scraping a bbq, before it can be packed away...

Apart from causing nuisance to neighbours, barbecues have become notorious for undercooked food. Undercooked steak isn't too bad because e-coli lives on the surface - until it is minced into sausages and burgers distributing it to the undercooked inside. Then there is Salmonella in Chicken ......

One person getting incapacitated by food poisoning is bad enough. But what when its all of you in a motorhome, long way from home and nobody to drive it back.......

I'll stick to my pressure cooker - sausages and burgers look a bit pale but at least I know they are safe and not dried up - even when cooked straght from frozen :-D

I live in NZ barbys are a part of the life. I live in the country and will happily burn a tree to cook a sausage.

The idea that a barbeque would be offensive to your neihbours is very very strange,a charcoal bbq takes no time to light up and has no offensive odours 'weird pom complaints' we bought a portugese bbq many years ago from a lidle in portugal 'our first lidle' it was tiny realy meant for cooking sardines not much more than 300 mm wide but we could feed 4 mum dad and the kids off it and never a raw steak would love one now 'barbeque that is' .Charcoal is the way to go gas is convenient but some are really just outdoor frypans.

p.s. expat pom 40 years.

pps. Maybe you should eat more steak and chicken or maybe Haggis

I found the problem with charcoal is that it can still be smouldering the next morning, and hot coals are not a safe thing to leave about. Recently a young girl's feet were badly burned by stepping on discarded charcoal, and I've seen many a charred waste bin where folk thought the bbq was out and set the rubbish alight.

I use an induction hob on hook up, which means you can cook bacon for breakfast and the hob is cold by the time you're ready to move on.

jjsbc - 2018-09-10 10:12 AM

The idea that a barbeque would be offensive to your neihbours

Well if your neighbours are committing suicide by breathing in barbecue smoke (yes that happens) I don't suppose they would object to poisonous black smoke drifting their way ....

Some people love loud rap music and can't see why its offensive to their neighbours *-)

Wheras its civilised good manners not to force things (including poisonous smoke and odours) on to people when they haven't asked for it...

You shouldn't assume everyone likes it as much as you do

I agree John. The amount of people who think their darling little dog is loved by everyone on the campsite amazes me.

Not everyone loves dogs , especially the yappy little ones. So I’ll carry on with my charcoal Bbq as long as “dog lovers” let their dogs bark at all hours of the day and night

And before you all say my dog doesn’t bark, every campsite I’ve been on there’s always a barking dog so that statement can’t be true of everyone

And yes we had a yellow Labrador for 15 years , but when he died the grief was too much , such that we’ve never had another dog

John52 - 2018-09-10 9:27 AMApart from causing nuisance to neighbours, barbecues have become notorious for undercooked food. Undercooked steak isn't too bad because e-coli lives on the surface - until it is minced into sausages and burgers distributing it to the undercooked inside. Then there is Salmonella in Chicken ......One person getting incapacitated by food poisoning is bad enough. But what when its all of you in a motorhome, long way from home and nobody to drive it back.......I'll stick to my pressure cooker - sausages and burgers look a bit pale but at least I know they are safe and not dried up - even when cooked straght from frozen :-D

I agree - if people don't know how to cook properly,  then  BBQ cooking is not for them but it ain't rocket science to cook really well on a BBQ. Don't blame the equipment-  blame the numpties who can't use them properly! 

laimeduck - 2018-09-10 3:19 PM
John52 - 2018-09-10 9:27 AMApart from causing nuisance to neighbours, barbecues have become notorious for undercooked food. Undercooked steak isn't too bad because e-coli lives on the surface - until it is minced into sausages and burgers distributing it to the undercooked inside. Then there is Salmonella in Chicken ......One person getting incapacitated by food poisoning is bad enough. But what when its all of you in a motorhome, long way from home and nobody to drive it back.......I'll stick to my pressure cooker - sausages and burgers look a bit pale but at least I know they are safe and not dried up - even when cooked straght from frozen :-D

I agree - if people don't know how to cook properly,  then  BBQ cooking is not for them but it ain't rocket science to cook really well on a BBQ. Don't blame the equipment-  blame the numpties who can't use them properly! 
Spot on sir

Archived