Auto Sleeper Fridge

Pete-B

HI, We've got a AS Warwick XL we're going away tomorrow and I don't think the fridge is working. Could someone please direct me to the fuse I should be checking. I've looked in the book and it doesn't list which fuse is for the fridge.

Really appreciate some help, thanks.

If it is a Thetford N3000 series fridge fault code 3 is gas lockout because it failed to ignite the flame , try it a few times to allow time for the gas to get through. There should be fuses on the Sargent PSU for the fridge (there may be 3 ,12v ,12vD+ and fridge electronics)

buddy - 2021-07-18 1:00 PM

If it is a Thetford N3000 series fridge fault code 3 is gas lockout because it failed to ignite the flame , try it a few times to allow time for the gas to get through. There should be fuses on the Sargent PSU for the fridge (there may be 3 ,12v ,12vD+ and fridge electronics)

Thanks for that mate, I found the fridge fuse and that's OK so pulled all the other fuses which seemed fine and switched the RCDs off and on and suddenly it's now working on gas. I'll let it get down to temperature and then try it on lecky again

I've got it on 240v at home at the moment and we are hoping to go away in the morning. The fridge is now at 9c which is not cold enough and it's been like that for at least a couple of hours. The gauge above the door say's the internal temperature is 33c even with door and roof vents open, could it be the fridge is just struggling to keep up.

If not, we'll just have to cancel our holiday.

The quality of installation, and in particular the air-flow route at the rear, will have a massive effect on cooling capability for an absorption fridge, as may any parking that leaves the vehicle substantially off-level (even with a tilt-tolerant model).

It isn't unusual to see the target fridge compartment temperature quoted at 7C; high ambient temperatures will threaten that. (Dometic will advise the addition of a fridge fan for continuous use above 32C).

I suspect you're simply seeing the effects of a fridge working at its limits in these temperatures. One recommendation that I've seen (and empirically, seems to work) is to ensure you park the 'van with the fridge on the shaded (Northerly) side of the 'van, as it tends to improve the air-flow. (though it is not always possible, of course).

The Thetford fault chart says to check that the thermistor inside the fridge cabinet is on the 5th fin from the right if it is not cooling enough (,with no fault code showing), it may have been dis-lodged somehow.

Also ,I dont know if you are aware that the van has to be level or almost level for correct fridge operation

buddy - 2021-07-18 8:53 PM

The Thetford fault chart says to check that the thermistor inside the fridge cabinet is on the 5th fin from the right if it is not cooling enough (,with no fault code showing), it may have been dis-lodged somehow.

Also ,I dont know if you are aware that the van has to be level or almost level for correct fridge operation

Hi, Sorry and excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what you mean by thermistor

It is a sensor with wires going to it that is clipped to the fins at the rear of the inside of the fridge, the area which get cold/frosty when it is working ok and it must be in its correct position as it measures ambient temp. and feeds this information to the temp. control electronics.

If it is out of position it affects the amount of cooling on all heat sources. (12v-230v-gas)

This link may be of interest

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t33280-fridge-not-cold

Also Pete’s earlier enquiry about levelling.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fridge-problem/58412/

This Thetford video relates to Error Code 13 (Thermistor Error)

but should also help with locating the thermistor's position in the fridge.

Archived