Autotrail, Apache Roof.

Peter Boyle

After spending all day cleaning my Apache 700, my roof was covered in green algie off trees is it possible to walk on the roof, because after spending 2 hours off a step ladder my arms are falling off, it would be easier to get on the roof and clean it properly.

Sunday & Monday this week was spent washing & polishing my 2015 AT Tracker FB after 3 weeks touring. It is possible to walk on the roof except the luton area as stated above. The 2014 version is essentially the same as mine roof wise so I see no problems there. My roof had lots of pin head size black algae marks. I used a bathroom cleaner called "Exit mould" that I spray on and wipe off with a wet sponge to avoid any runoff over the edge of the roof. I then used a medium cut 3m plastic polish. I purchased a cheap electric polisher to make the task a little easier. Worked a treat, even the codriver had a positive comment. Cheers,

Advice on cleaning a mororhome can be read here

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/51526-how-to-clean-your-motorhome

It is recommended that the roof is not walked on. This is not so much because a roof might be damaged by doing this (as any flattish roof should be ‘walkable’ is something is put on it first to spread the load) but because of the risk of an accident. People fall off motorhome habitation-door steps and break bones and a fall from the roof is going to really hurt.

breakaleg - 2019-03-11 9:50 AM

If You can't get up there try a product called wet and forget, purchase it on Amazon, says it sutible for use on Caravans and Motorhomes.

We use it on the patio and it does what it says it will there.

Pete

Wet & Forget is a VERY expensive source of regular Benzalkonium Chloride algaecide.

W&F's only active ingredient is Benzalkonium Chloride at 9% and costs c. £6-£10 per litre.

All the other BC 'patio cleaners' come in much cheaper but the clear winner is Doff Patio Cleaner (currently in Aldi stores) which is Benzalkonium Chloride at 7.5% and costs £1 per litre (2L for £1.99), often reduced to 50p/litre later in the season.

Please don't use Wet and Forget, despite what the manufacturer says it's not suitable for motorhomes and can cause premature oxidation and if it dribbles down the sides will wreck graphics. There are a few mistakes

and omissions on the Practical Motorhome guide. If you walk on the roof as well as the Luton area keep away from the rooflights too.

For a start they say to use a sponge which is a definite mistake, use a noodle mitt instead, they are cheap and won't hold grit like a sponge will.

It's best not to use a blade for clearing water because there might still be minute particles of grit on the van, the blade will catch and scrape them along the van ( even worse on polyplast windows. Much better to dry with a microfibre drying cloth which don't retain.

Polishing is not as simple as they make it seem and no mention of avoiding door handles and mirrors with polish/wax as it stains.

I could go on about grit gaurd in bucket and two bucket method along with other stuff not mentioned

Archived