CAMC Membership

Den

Due to being unable to use the CAMC and other camping , caravan and Motorhome clubs, does anyone have thoughts on expectations of members not being able to use sites during the later part of March, April, May , June and I would imagine the early part of July.

Hopefully the Club will extend membership by the number of months that the network will have been unavailable. The CAMC and other clubs have to make a profit in order to be able to continue trading and if we want their network to survive, some degree of give and take will have to be followed.

I have just bought some CAMC site vouchers for use later this year and next and at 20% discount they give a better rate of return than any bank or building society does at the moment.

See: https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/great-savings-on-uk-campsites/

Even if you never use CAMC sites, it is in your interest for them to survive, imagine the congestion at your favourite wild camping spot if there were no club sites to soak up the numbers.

One of my clients spoke of his golf club extending his membership by 3 months to compensate for the lost time.

He then, knowing we have a MH questioned me on what clubs I belong too and I mentioned that my Frequent traveler Wallet was being extended by 12 months., but not what if at all what expect from the CAMC and a couple of other non related to Mh clubs would be offered, if at all.

Well it seems the C&MC are not extending membership but the C&CC are...

"This year, we’re extending your membership period for as long as our sites are closed, to ensure you receive your full 12 months of membership no matter what happens. This will be added on to the end of your membership term, when we know how long our sites have been closed for. The extension will be applied to all fully paid members when we reopen."

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/travelplanning/coronavirus/

Keith.

That’s very decent of them to do.

All my clients that paid for my services have received deposits/ payments back on the same day they cancelled and I’ve given them a10% discount when they book again.

It’s a time to give like the tunnel giving an extra 12 months.

Must confess we have been debating whether the C&MC holds any benefit for us any longer, if they don't make any move to give some benefit it could for us be the thing that makes up our mind.

The 'club' has been of little value to us for some years now and we have only renewed out of loyalty or perhaps habit! We get very little for our annual fee in our case but have been members for over forty years and seen how the membership 'benefits' have deteriorated.

Bas

Steve H - 2020-05-16 9:03 PM

I agree with Basil. The C&MC is not much more than a travel agency and insurance brokerage so don't expect too much from them.

Of course there is also the network of Club Sites, some of which are exclusively for members whilst those that do allow non-members charge more for the non- members.

There is also the network of CLs, exclusively for members.

A minor point perhaps but a monthly magazine is also still provided for members.

There are also savings to be had in their "Great Days Out" booklet and also other offers of discounts through the Club.

Had you forgotten about these or just ignored their existence?

Of course, if none of these and the services you mention are of any use to you then it is pointless being a member.

mel wood - 2020-05-17 3:16 PM

Of course there is also the network of Club Sites, some of which are exclusively for members whilst those that do allow non-members charge more for the non- members.

There is also the network of CLs, exclusively for members.

A minor point perhaps but a monthly magazine is also still provided for members.

There are also savings to be had in their "Great Days Out" booklet and also other offers of discounts through the Club.

Had you forgotten about these or just ignored their existence?

Of course, if none of these and the services you mention are of any use to you then it is pointless being a member.

We haven't forgotten or ignored but simply don't use them, the last time we used a 'Club' site was about ten years ago, we have used the occasional CL but the last time was about four years ago, the monthly magazine is full of dross that takes all of ten minutes to scan and the discounts are normally dearer than you can achieve by other means!

We stopped using the main site network when they became viciously overpriced, we have used many private sites that are as cheap or even cheaper with equal if not better facilities. We do like CL's but some, at the behest of the C&MC, have become overpriced for what they offer, that is from two of the CL owners we used to use. The quotes for insurance are a joke, double what our normal provider asks, green Flag only covers UK so try's to force you to use the now overpriced Red Pennant and having had to call GF on three occasions every time let down so we have moved from them after 20 odd years!

So as I said we don't really know why we continue with our membership, habit I suppose, but rethink next renewal I think!!

Bas

We are members of both clubs. We use the sites but not their travel/insurance facilities.

Whilst we mostly travel on the continent we use Uk sites enough to make it worth while. I prefer the sites of both clubs rather than commercial sites which, generally, I don’t enjoy.

I accept that I cannot use sites for, probably 3 or 4 months this year. Not going to worry about the cost for that period where I probably wouldn’t have used the sites much anyway. Life’s too short to worry about that. I am more interested in getting back on the road ASAP..

I use the clubs sites cos they have a consistent quality with good spacing and facilities.. as soon as sites open, I will tour Uk until Europe opens.

Peter

We have been members of the C&MC club for years and joined the C&CC club this year. Had a few nights on C&CC sites before lockdown and we really liked them, even more so than some of the C&MC sites. We like the layout and facilities of club sites and the onsite teams are always very friendly and eager to help. You kind of know that you are going to get good facilities wherever you are going and we like that security. Now think it is a good idea to be members of both clubs for the variety of sites between them. The cost is not much in the scale of things and you get it back on site fee savings.

Basil - 2020-05-16 8:31 PM

Must confess we have been debating whether the C&MC holds any benefit for us any longer, if they don't make any move to give some benefit it could for us be the thing that makes up our mind.

The 'club' has been of little value to us for some years now and we have only renewed out of loyalty or perhaps habit! We get very little for our annual fee in our case but have been members for over forty years and seen how the membership 'benefits' have deteriorated.

Bas

Tend to agree. We're allowing our membership to lapse. To us the C&MC don't offer value for money and they took an age to close their sites as we headed into lockdown. Rarely use their sites but will miss the CLs

mel wood - 2020-05-17 3:16 PM

Steve H - 2020-05-16 9:03 PM I agree with Basil. The C&MC is not much more than a travel agency and insurance brokerage so don't expect too much from them.

Of course there is also the network of Club Sites... charge more for the non- members .. .the network of CLs, exclusively for members ....a monthly magazine is also still provided for members....also savings to be had in their "Great Days Out" booklet and also other offers of discounts through the Club.....

All of which are consistent with a marketing strategy aimed at serving the money-making needs of the oligarchy which runs the so-called "Club" rather than its Members. The Executive Committee cannot be approached or complained to by Members and Members can be expelled (eg for critcising management) by members of staff with no right of appeal to the Executive Committee, as would apply in any normal club. It really is nonesense that CAMC calls itself a Club at all these days.

Well done C&CC by promptly offering their Members an extension of the subcription year, shame on CAMC for not doing the same and for selling vouchers which appear to offer 20% extra value but give no guarantee against 20% price rises next year which will wipe any extra value in those vouchers out altogether.

As I've posted before, in the general scheme of things, considering that we are in the midst of a pandemic that is claiming many 1000s of lives, and where even those who are not yet directly touched by it are having their lives turned upside down ( no proper contact with loved ones, some losing earnings and possibly even their jobs/business..? etc ), the loss of a bit of "camping" is surely way down any right thinking persons' list..? as should be the few quid "lost" in some camping club "subs"?.. *-)

pepe63 - 2020-05-18 9:21 AM

As I've posted before, in the general scheme of things, considering that we are in the midst of a pandemic that is claiming many 1000s of lives, and where even those who are not yet directly touched by it are having their lives turned upside down ( no proper contact with loved ones, some losing earnings and possibly even their jobs/business..? etc ), the loss of a bit of "camping" is surely way down any right thinking persons' list..? as should be the few quid "lost" in some camping club "subs"?.. *-)

My daughter worked in ICU treating covid patients for 3 weeks and despite full PPE she caught the virus herself. Three weeks later she's still recovering but not fit to go back to work, so your point above is perfectly valid.

Nonetheless, to us the CAMC recent behaviour is the final straw. As I said above we haven't considered CAMC offer value for money for a number of years. I'm not prepared to pay £20+ per night for a pitch the size of a small African state, overheated toilet blocks etc

Keithl - 2020-05-16 6:33 PM

Well it seems the C&MC are not extending membership but the C&CC are...

"This year, we’re extending your membership period for as long as our sites are closed, to ensure you receive your full 12 months of membership no matter what happens. This will be added on to the end of your membership term, when we know how long our sites have been closed for. The extension will be applied to all fully paid members when we reopen."

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/travelplanning/coronavirus/

Keith.

We also had our membership of Brittany Ferries extended automatically by 2 months….our NT membership is due up next month and I wrote to them asking if they were going to extend the date ..they returned to me offering 25% discount on renewal,.,..I also wrote to CMC but haven't even head a reply....

Hi Keith

Just received an email back from the CAMC offering for me to cancel or a voucher for 1 night.

I’ve been with them 18 years and didn’t really want to cancel, so I accepted the voucher.

Den

Archived