Constantly running taps.

Jonty068

Good afternoon.

We are having issues with our water taps, both bathroom and galley. They will not stop running when turned off, they slow to a trickle and the water pump then just pulses until we turn it off at the main panel, even then it takes a few minutes for the water to completely stop. The shower and toilet seem unaffected. I cannot find any evidence of a leak. I have tried adjusting the screw on the base of the water pump. I have drained the system completely, twice, and refilled it, to no avail.

The pump is a Shurflo Trail King 7, the boiler is a Truma Combi (E)

I'm stumped, I'm also no expert either, any pointers would be gratefully received.

Regards Jon.

Hi

I had a similar problem some years back. The problem was the microswitch in the tap sooooooo I cut the wire to the tap and inserted a switch in the cupboard beneath so I could switch off without effecting the other electric.

It was permanently corrected by replacing the tap but my Heath Robinson solution lasted for the best part of a year before I bothered.

Peter

I agree with Peter's diagnosis,

Check if you have microswitched taps by looking under the tap for two thin wires. If you do then try disconnecting one of the wires at each tap in turn until you find the one causing the pump to continue running.

I believe it is possible to replace the microswitch without removing the tap but have never personally done it. Maybe YouTube can throw up a video???

Keith.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Jon.

It would be unusual for a motorhome's water-system that includes a SHURflo TrailKing pressure-sensitive water pump to have taps with micro-switches that turn the pump on and off. (That arrangement is not unknown - my 2005 Hobby motorhome had it - it's just rare.)

As I understand your enquiry, water continues to flow from the bathroom and kitchen taps, even when the taps have been fully closed, and the only way you can stop the water flowing is to turn off the water-pump at the main control-panel.

I've looked at online adverts for 2018 Zefiro 685 models and these show the bathroom washbasin and kitchen taps as being the swivel-head mixer type that are commonplace in motorhomes nowadays. (685 washbasin tap image attached below).

Two possibilities - the taps have developed an internal fault and will need their cartridge replacing, or there is debris in both of the taps that is preventing the taps' internals from sealing properly. Either way, each tap will need to be dismantled and - even if there is 'muck in the taps - when the tap is apart it would be sensible to replace the cartridge.

457437094_washbasintap.jpg.61173561fd7942a6f0d7f3190570d30c.jpg

Good Evening

Many thanks for your replies. There are no wires in the taps that I can see or feel. I shall try to dismantle the taps and check them over, however this may be beyond me, but I'll check out you tube and see if I can find a video on how to etc. We are on the road at the moment, so probably try the kitchen one first, at the very least I may not have to do the washing up then :-D

Regards Jon

There's a good deal of online advice on replacing the cartridge of the mixer taps fitted to motorhomes/caravans. (This YouTube video is as good as any...)

The cartridges themselves come in different sizes, but it should not be too difficult to obtain suitable ones for your taps.

I can't identify the make/model of taps from adverts for 2018 Zefiro 685s (I'm not even sure that the same tap is used for the washbasin and kitchen). I've attached an image of the tap that I think Roller Team has generally used for the washbasin, so someone may know the make/model and may be able to advise on how to disassemble it. There's usually a small 'covered' grub-screw that needs to be removed so the tap's handle/top can be taken off, but as I can't see any sign of this on the photo, it may be at the rear of the handle/top.

587076698_washbasintap.jpg.e5b7c727e326ce8e9d3f73b7855467eb.jpg

Archived