Creaking New Omnistor

Willum

Has anyone else come across a significant creaking coming from the area marked on the attached photo?

I've stood inside the awning and listened carefully and there is a lot of noise coming from the area where there is no gap between the plastic 'keeper' and the awning material.

Even with the slightest air movement - nothing that would worry even a nervous awning user - it creaks loudly: annoyingly loudly.

Our old (6 meter) awnings on the Burstner A747 and A748 were 2009 and 2013 vintage respectively, a slightly different design and only ever clonked if the wind really got up.

This is a last year's model, only 4 metres long and much noisier.

The 'keeper' is there, I assume, held upwards by the annotated springs to help keep the fabric roll good and tight as it's wound in.

My awnings are always well secured, fitted with storm rafters and wind blockers and have never been as noisy as this.

Apart from 'don't wind it out', has anyone any ideas, had an issue like this, or tried removing the 'springs'?

Will

865454476_CreakingOmnistorawning.jpg.5e737800b0e2cd43c88bf37e168a7a77.jpg

Hi, Mine does exactly the same, the least wind and it starts it’s even worse at night when your in bed keeping you awake. I haven’t tried taking out the springs because I don’t know what effect that would have on the awning. Mine is 4.5 m long. Possibly someone else will post a reply and help us both.

I've had a creaking Omnistor since I bought our van over 9 years ago. I bought a Fiamma Motorhome Awning Tie Down Kit, 11m. It said you can use it over the extending arms or over the awning canopy. I have always used it over the awning canopy. It comes with a spring loaded end, so you can make sure not too much pressure is applied to the canopy. In 9 years of use (800 nights of camping), I use it every time I get the awning out, the awning canopy is still in one piece, and creaking is negligible. I do not leave the canopy out if there is any risk of gusty winds though.

CaptainKool - 2018-08-12 7:55 PM

I've had a creaking Omnistor since I bought our van over 9 years ago. I bought a Fiamma Motorhome Awning Tie Down Kit, 11m. It said you can use it over the extending arms or over the awning canopy. I have always used it over the awning canopy. It comes with a spring loaded end, so you can make sure not too much pressure is applied to the canopy. In 9 years of use (800 nights of camping), I use it every time I get the awning out, the awning canopy is still in one piece, and creaking is negligible. I do not leave the canopy out if there is any risk of gusty winds though.

I know the very straps you mean - and I have a set and now only use them over the front rail. It works well but I found it actually stretched the sides of the canopy fabric after a while if placed over the canopy itself. I think it might ease the noise a bit but I also fear it wouldn't stop this thing creaking. Even the tiniest bit of movement produces a creak - from the canopy fabric moving relative to the plastic 'keeper'.

Since posting the original question, a braincell has sprung to life and made me consider a thin, closed cell foam strip to push into the area with no gap, to be taken out before rolling the awning back in. We use the awning a lot, sometimes for months at a time, so the thought of that noise all night isn't a welcoming prospect.

Will

Will, today prior to opening this site I had noticed my awning was creaking more than I remember from near the front swing arm. I tried tightening the three bolts that hold the assembly to the side of our motorhome. It had no impact on the noise, so I gave up. If there is a solution I would be happy to implement. Cheers, 

If I find a solution, Gary, I'll be more than happy to share. :-D My first attempt will be to put a strip of soft cloth - microfibre, or similar - in the bit between the plastic 'keeper' and the canopy material.

I'll let you know what happens but it will be a couple of days.............. whilst we fill the house with dust building a new fireplace........ :-S Today might not be the best of days to see the result, anyhow. The weather's turned as calm as a millpond.

Will

Will (747Heavy),

Why not try pushing a thin wedge (such as the end of a wooden clothes peg) in between the awning and case where you say there is no gap to relieve the touch condition?

This could be a simple fix every time you roll the awning out if it works.

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-08-14 2:39 PM

Will (747Heavy),

Why not try pushing a thin wedge (such as the end of a wooden clothes peg) in between the awning and case where you say there is no gap to relieve the touch condition?

This could be a simple fix every time you roll the awning out if it works.

Keith.

I'd thought about a thin strip of felt-type material where there is no gap to see if it stopped, so a similar approach. The plastic 'keeper' bit touches for about half of the length of the canopy, so a few thin strips attached to bits of some sort of card should do. I'll try it - after the mess gets cleaned up and the brickie starts getting the fireplace rebuilt............... :-D

Will

witzend - 2018-08-14 4:08 PM

WD 40 Cures mine just give it a spray when its creaking

As with Will86's previous suggestion of silicon spray, I'm wary about spraying anything on the canopy material. Probably neither silicon or WD40 will hurt it but both are almost certainly propelled by something nasty and hydro-carbon based. Both will probably leave a residue that grit and dust will stick to - so I'm cautious. I'd certainly use either on the metallic moving parts, it's just nervousness of anything on a vinyl canopy.

Will

Guest pelmetman
Ninian - 2018-08-12 6:20 PM

Hi, Mine does exactly the same, the least wind and it starts it’s even worse at night when your in bed keeping you awake. I haven’t tried taking out the springs because I don’t know what effect that would have on the awning. Mine is 4.5 m long. Possibly someone else will post a reply and help us both.

Mines been creaking for 25 years :-S ...............Should I be worried? 8-) ...............

It's worse now when I roll over in bed ...........Coz I'm a fat bast*rd :$ ..........

Guest pelmetman
pelmetman - 2018-08-14 9:12 PM

Ninian - 2018-08-12 6:20 PM

Mines been creaking for 25 years :-S ...............Should I be worried? 8-) ...............

It's worse now when I roll over in bed ...........Coz I'm a fat bast*rd :$ ..........

Forgot to add it also makes "ping & pong" noises to ;-) .........

But apparently....... according to er indoors so do I 8-) .........

• 3 years later...
747Heavy - 2018-08-12 3:10 PM

Has anyone else come across a significant creaking coming from the area marked on the attached photo?

I've stood inside the awning and listened carefully and there is a lot of noise coming from the area where there is no gap between the plastic 'keeper' and the awning material.

Even with the slightest air movement - nothing that would worry even a nervous awning user - it creaks loudly: annoyingly loudly.

Our old (6 meter) awnings on the Burstner A747 and A748 were 2009 and 2013 vintage respectively, a slightly different design and only ever clonked if the wind really got up.

This is a last year's model, only 4 metres long and much noisier.

The 'keeper' is there, I assume, held upwards by the annotated springs to help keep the fabric roll good and tight as it's wound in.

My awnings are always well secured, fitted with storm rafters and wind blockers and have never been as noisy as this.

Apart from 'don't wind it out', has anyone any ideas, had an issue like this, or tried removing the 'springs'?

Will

Not sure if anyone has come up with a solution yet? I also have the issue and it was so bad I would take rain/sun blockers down and wind in every night as it was so bad! After reading this post and still away I experimented by putting split wooden washing line pegs above the silver spring and that stopped the creaking :-D not sure what the long term solution would be it seems like a really poor design flaw?

Just a quick update, since this has popped up again.

Sorry I can't offer any better than this, but:

We don't have the creaking awning any more - not because it's cured but because we sold the POS it was attached to. To be candid, in the end the creaking awning was the very least of the problems attached to it - or part of it.

The lovely old Frankia we bought to replace it and recover our sense of humour still trundles us around for months at a time, currently moving north through France, keeping ahead of the heat and fires.

As for Omnistor:

We bought a new awning for the Frankia to replace the original 'LB' Omnistor which had suffered damage in a former life. The build standard is NOT the same, plus the clots who delivered it, contrary to instructions printed all over it, propped it across some boxes and bent it. It's a long story (as is usual, with any of my projects :-D ).

A lot of effort was put in by the retailer and me to sort out the problems with it (mid-Covid). I was given some accessories as a compensation but the problems are still there. Two years later and after asking several times, I still do not know where the front and rear brackets should be placed - because all the screws were loose when it was delivered and they all moved.

Trying to get the Omnistor UK rep to do anything about it was like drawing teeth - without anaesthetic. In the end I really got the impression I was disturbing his round of Golf, or something similar.

In other words, from my experience, if you have a problem and you want an answer from Omnistor - don't hold your breath.

................... but this one is an 8000 series and doesn't creak .................. :D :D

Will

I suspect that creaking is a function of "application engineering". What I mean is how well it is fitted to the side wall of the motorhome. As I stated back in the original section my awning fitted to then Autotrail played a nice old tune. The Adria fitted with the latest version of the Omnistor brand after two years is noise free. Both motorhome brands are owned by Trigano so you could assume the "application engineering" should be similar or maybe not. Cheers,

• 11 months later...