Folding Handbrake

bigal

Does anyone know anything about the Folding Handbrake on MB Sprinter or has anyone seen a Sprinter with one fitted! I am not speaking about Handbrake Extensions but about a Handbrake where the lever folds down to the floor after the Handbrake is applied, leaving the brake on. Any information would be appreciated as the main dealer in my area cannot tell me where I could view one fitted although they will quote me all the necessary parts required. I don't wish to spend money without knowing more about the system.

. B-)

Guest peter
My sprinter based van has it fitted as standard. It's the only way the seat can be swivelled without letting it off. Plus it doesn't get in the way when parked up. You pull it on as usual and just push it down to normal off position, then you lift it up and pull to release. Very good.

Hi Bigal,

I have seen them as factory fitted items on post 2007 models and their operation is very simple.

You pull the handbrake on as normal then without touching the button you push the lever back to the floor.

To release you pull the lever up until you feel it 'take the strain' then push the button in and release back down.

I do not believe they can be retro fitted to pre 2007 models :-(

I asked a friend who worked at a Main Merc commercial dealers and he came back saying it would not fit.

What year is your Merc?

Keith.

Edit. Damn, Peter replied while I was typing!

Edit 2. Did you not get the answer when you asked this question 18 months ago? Link

Edit 3. And now found your Merc is a 55 plate so unfortunately I do not believe it will fit.

Thank you for all the information, my Sprinter was new in Feb. 06 so it looks like I am out of luck. Yes I asked the same question 18 months ago but people got it confused with handbrake extensions so I didn't get what I was looking for. I have experience of folding handbrakes from being in Motor Engineering a long time ago but I wished to obtain current info. on this particular one. Thanks to you all I have now done that, unfortunately it may all be in vain but I shall pursue the matter further with the information that has been provided. Mercedes Benz would not tell me anything but just referred me to the main dealer, unfotunately they had just changed hands and were unable to help other than giving a long list of parts that would be needed if the conversion was possible, they didn't even know which model it was fitted to, mine is a 316cdi. Once again, Thank you :-D B-)

Just to take the question one step further - does anyone know if this type of handbrake can be retro fitted to a 2010 Fiat Ducato?

Our PVC has the same problem - unable to swivel the drivers seat without leaving the handbrake off, which causes a problem when using ramps as it is an automatic and I don't really like leaving it with all the weight resting on first gear.

Once had a Knaus Sun Ti on a Renault Master with this type of handbrake and found them extremely good.

David

david lloyd - 2012-04-12 7:05 PM

Just to take the question one step further - does anyone know if this type of handbrake can be retro fitted to a 2010 Fiat Ducato?

Our PVC has the same problem - unable to swivel the drivers seat without leaving the handbrake off, which causes a problem when using ramps as it is an automatic and I don't really like leaving it with all the weight resting on first gear.

Once had a Knaus Sun Ti on a Renault Master with this type of handbrake and found them extremely good.

David

As far as I'm aware no Fiat Ducato (whatever its year of manufacturer) has ever had a factory-installed 'fold-down' handbrake of the type fitted to certain Mercedes and Renault vehicles. Also - to the best of my knowledge - there is no handbrake replacement/modification offered by Fiat or marketed commercially for retro-fitting to provide a fold-down handbrake for Ducatos.

Consequently, if you wanted that type of handbrake, you'd need to have the existing Ducato handbrake suitably modified, or replace it with a fold-down handbrake from a Mercedes or Renault. How realistically practicable either of those approaches would be is anybody's guess - it's not something I'd contemplate doing.

David

Now this is odd!

On a 2007/8? Citreon the handbrake had been bodged in attempt to clear seat swivel but it still caught a bit, and I've noticed it on some others, but on our 2011 Fiat swivel clears handbrake no problem at all. I wonder if this is something to do with either a update on swivel or some convertors using different swivel.

Guest JudgeMental

My 2011 Fiat seat does not interfere with hand brake. but it is so low I hate the bloody thing nearly as much as the 6 speed box :-S handbrake has an alarm that tells you you have not disengaged it properly, this beeps at most times.....

next time an auto *-)

JudgeMental - 2012-04-16 8:25 PM

My 2011 Fiat seat does not interfere with hand brake. but it is so low I hate the bloody thing nearly as much as the 6 speed box :-S handbrake has an alarm that tells you you have not disengaged it properly, this beeps at most times.....

next time an auto *-)

Eddie, as posted on another thread, due to a back problem (proboly due to the Fiat handbrake :-| ) I decided to fit a Kobran extender. If you can use the hanbrake without to much probelm I don't recommend it but if like me the thought of trying to get handbrake off fills you with dread as to pain it will cause back then get one, but it's a bitch to fit and I'm still playing with seat pos'n to get it to clear rake knob.

Guest peter
colin - 2012-04-16 7:25 PM

David

Now this is odd!

On a 2007/8? Citreon the handbrake had been bodged in attempt to clear seat swivel but it still caught a bit, and I've noticed it on some others, but on our 2011 Fiat swivel clears handbrake no problem at all. I wonder if this is something to do with either a update on swivel or some convertors using different swivel.

They probably used a higher seat mounting.

peter - 2012-04-16 9:08 PM

David

Now this is odd!

They probably used a higher seat mounting.

I don't think so as earlier one was an even worse reach down than mine, but if I remember I'll have a look and post photo for david to compare.

David

Now this is odd!

Hi Colin

Our previous IH (2008 Ducato) had seats with built in seatbelts that swivelled with the seats but this one has the seat belts on the door pillar as usual.

The handbrake on the 2008 model was no problem but this one lies parallel with the underside of the swivel plate mount so the seat clears it in the 'off' position but when it is 'on' it the press to release button is only just below the seat squab!

So I suspect that it is something to do with different setas/swivel plates but the folding handbrake would overcome the problem easily.

David

Since my first post on this subject I have been able to contact the Mercedes Benz Customer service center at Maastricht N.V who have replied as follows: We can confirm that a retro fitting kit for the Folding Handbrake is not available for the 316cdi registered in 02/06.

I get the impression that this would also apply to other models/makes. :-S B-)

Archived