Fridge freezer + external thermostat

Davidhood999

Hi

Does anyone know of anyone in Essex or Suffolk area that will look at our 12 volt / 240 volt fridge freezer with an external thermostat controller display? I've been searching for ages for someone to look at it after exhausting all avenues myself but people / companies that I have found are nowhere near.

Many thanks.

David.

This is a follow-up to David’s 21 April 2021 enquiry

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Dixell-external-fridge-freezer-thermostat-fault/58012/

In that forum thread David identified the external thermostat display as a Dixell Universal R model (Installing and Operating Instructions here)

https://climate.emerson.com/documents/universal-r-en-gb-3723528.pdf

but provided no details of the fridge/freezer itself.

David’s motorhome is a 2004 Rapido 924F model that he obtained towards the end of last year, and he said in his first forum posting on 4 December 2020 that he was new to motorcaravanning.

Online data indicate that a 2004 Rapido 234F would have been built with a large Dometic fridge/freezer mounted against the motorhome’s rear wall. The Dometic appliance might have had manual controls (or possibly be one of Dometic’s earlier AES models) but it’s absolutely certain that the Dometic fridge/freezer would be the ‘3-way’ type (gas/12V/240V, not just 12V/240V) and would not have had the Dixell Universal-R unit.

I’m guessing that, sometime in David’s motorhome’s past, the original Dometic appliance gave up the ghost and (possibly because a similar replacement 3-way fridge/freezer was considered too expensive) a 2-way (12V/240V) appliance was fitted instead controlled by the Dixell unit.

As Steve has said, details of the fridge/freezer will be needed to have any realistic hope of providing focused advice.

Hi

The fridge freezer was indeed replaced about 2 to 3 years ago, it is an Isotherm model which I think is by Webasto Marine. The external thermostat controller/ display is by Dixell and is the Universal R model.

I suspect it's the thermostat / display rather than the fridge freezer itself as it's just unresponsive and just keeps flashing continuously but I'm far from expert. The fridge freezer was working perfect before this but the thermostat kept playing silly buggers and turning off every now and then and the only way we could turn it on again was to turn thermostat down to 50 degrees and then back up to 3 degrees again and then the fridge freezer would come back on.

Many thanks.

David Hood.

I suppose that - if there’s nobody within a reasonable striking distance of Essex/Suffolk who could look at the problem - you could take a chance and replace the Dixell unit with a new one (about £70 online). Or would replacing the Dixell unit be a major task in itself?

Sounds like the controller could just need setting up. There's loads of settings on modern Comercial ones.

When you say you have to turn it right down to make it come on, that could be the "diff" setting too big. Needs to be about 3.

There's delay timers, locks and all sorts...

If you Google the controller model you should get the setup manual

Got the pdf manual. :-)

Press aux for 3 seconds to get into programming mode. Scroll down to thr "HY" setting, default is 2 which will be ok.

The controller is designed as a service replacement for all others, it was probably selected because it can have a 12v power supply. It can work with 1,2 or 3 temperature probes. How many is on your fridge? There typically will either be just a room probe but maybe another one stuck to the fridge evaporator for defrost purposes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks everyone for your help so far.

I've managed to get the fridge freezer to work now however the display on the unit is blank. Initially it was displaying correctly but messing about with I noticed a few wires had become detached and I've no idea what order the wires went into the back of the unit.

The 12v power supply is connected and I've got terminal 4 &6 wired to the fridge. I've got two more wires that I don't know what theyre for, I'm not sure if they're 230v for look up or if they are why the display isn't working. I've got someone coming to look at it but that's not till mid July and I was hoping to get away in it very soon.

I'll include an image of the wiring diagram that I don't really understand so maybe someone knows where I correctly put the wires, I've 6 in total 2 of which I know are the 12v supply.

Dixell are absolutely useless, I've emailed them 4 times over the last 6 months but I get no answer ever.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

David.

PS I'm having trouble uploading this image, I will keep trying ??

Davidhood999 - 2021-06-04 5:06 PM

PS I'm having trouble uploading this image, I will keep trying ??

OAL Moderator - 2006-08-22 11:31 AM

Q: How do I attach a file to a forum posting?

A: The procedure for attaching a file to a forum posting is as follows:

1: Type the posting’s text into the Message box.

2: Tick the box titled "Attach a file after posting”.

3: Click the posting’s SUBMIT button.

An “Attach a file” box should now appear, When it does

4: Click on the “Choose File” button.

The response to clicking on the “Choose File” button will depend on the device you are using. But however your device (PC, Mac, tablet, phone) responds, you’ll need to identify and choose the file you want to attach. The file-name should now appear alongside the “Choose File” button. When it does

5: Click on the “Submit” button.

If the file you are trying to attach has a format that the forum’s software can handle, a message (in red) “Upload successful” should appear, plus information showing the name of the file and its size.

6: Now click on "Return to the thread” in the “Actions” box to complete the process. (If you want to attach several files, repeat actions 4 and 5 as necessary, and then click on "Return to the thread”.)

......................................................................................................................................

THE CRITICAL THING IS TO ENSURE THAT THE SIZE OF THE FILE BEING ATTACHED DOES NOT EXCEED 100KB

Attempting to attach a fairly large file with a size exceeding 100KB may prodce the following error message

Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'

Operation not Allowed

/forums/includes/include-upload.asp, line 51

However, if the file is really large, the attachment process may fail with no error message and with “no file selected” appearing alongside the “Choose File” button.

......................................................................................................................................

If a file has a .jpg extension (eg. photo.jpg) the attached file-image should be permanently visible on the posting.

If a file has a .jpeg extension (eg. photo.jpeg) just the name of the file will be shown at the foot of the posting. If a forum-member then clicks on the file-name, the member’s own device (PC, Mac, tablet, etc.) will attempt to handle it and the image will normally become visible.

It is possible to attach other file-types provided that the file-size is no larger than 100KB. However, there is no certainty how the forums’ software will react.

Q: How do I get a picture under my name when I post?

A: You can upload a small picture (normally called an avatar) via your Control Panel - scroll down to the 'Images' section (the last area on the page), and click the 'Browse' button in the 'Upload profile image' box. This will open up a 'file browser' window. Locate the image you wish to use as an avatar, click on it, and press the 'Open' button. The file browser window will close. Then just click the 'OK' button in the 'Upload profile image' box; your image will be saved to our servers, and your picture will appear next to your posts!

There are a couple of limitations: The image must not be larger than 50kb in filesize (this is to keep the loading speed of the pages as fast as possible). If the original image exceeds that size, it MUST be resized before it is uploaded. This can be done using variousl computer programs (such as Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Macromedia Fireworks, Paint Shop Pro, etc.). For more information of free image editing software, please click here (please note - Warners Group Publications Plc cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites).

Hi

I think the image quality I'm trying to post is too high and am working on lowering it somehow.

Update; this is a copy of an email I sent to the chap I bought the van from last October;

Hi

Sorry to be bombarding you with messages. I've remedied the display screen, it is now on. I'd accidentally put one of the wires in a wrong terminal after they all has come out when pulled the unit out to look at it

Now I find that although everything works as it should, the temperature reads abnormally high even though the fridge/freezer is working as normal. The parameter for the 'room' probe (the only probe) is set for 2.7oC with the high and low parameters set for 4.0 and 2.0 respectively. Is there any other parameter that I need to change? I've set the probe type also.

Many thanks.

David.

Archived