Garmin Camper 770 - Review

StuartO

Garmin have just released a new camper-specific satndav and i treated myself to one - so here are my first impressions.

It is genuinely camper-specific in that it allows you to input the dimensions and weight of your MH fairly precisely and presumably it uses that info when route planning.  It certainly seemed to take a more cautious route (avoiding narrower roads) than I take in the car when we took it out for a test run.  It displays speed limits and also puts up warnings of speed limit changes at a suitable advance distance, likewise it warns of tight bends and narrowing sections of road in a useful way.  The built-in database of campsites seems to work quite well too and it even showed us the location of a CL as we passed it.  It holds all ASCI sites, which should be handy in France.

It has a big touch screen and I bought (as an optional extra) a dashboard beanbag mount so that it sits handily on the dashboard on my Fiat-based MH, where it sits just the right distance away.  First impressions were very good indeed.

It does lots of extra clever things, like providing a hands-free phone connection and it can connect directly to any WiFi for purposes of updating maps and software, so you don't need to connect via a computer.  Is it worth it at £350 rather than £80 for an entry level Nuvi?  I think it well might be.

Where it might fall down a bit it is connecting to BaseCamp, Garmin's route planning software, which I like to use of a winter's evening to plan my next tour.  It certainly works with BaseCamp but getting it to display the campsite locations on the computer (which I had to phone Garmin to discover how to) was a bit of a struggle but I got there in the end.

I'm quite looking forward to our April tour, to take it abroad.

• 1 year later...

I am considering upgrading to the 770 from the 760. My biggest beef with the 760 is that the speed limits on the continent are quite often wrong. Vis, it shows 70 or 80 kph on 90kph national single carriageways, and whereas I appreciate that not all limits can be accurate, these basic ones should be correct. I have also contacted Garmin on this subject, but got no joy.

I would be interested to know if you have found similar problems on the new model. We are over 3.5 tonnes, and soon to upgrade to 7.5 tonne, so I would like to know if the 770 is good in this area.

If StuartO, or anyone else with a 770 could do an update, that would be great.

flyboyprowler - 2018-04-29 12:22 PM

I am considering upgrading to the 770 from the 760. My biggest beef with the 760 is that the speed limits on the continent are quite often wrong. Vis, it shows 70 or 80 kph on 90kph national single carriageways, and whereas I appreciate that not all limits can be accurate, these basic ones should be correct. I have also contacted Garmin on this subject, but got no joy.

I would be interested to know if you have found similar problems on the new model. We are over 3.5 tonnes, and soon to upgrade to 7.5 tonne, so I would like to know if the 770 is good in this area.

If StuartO, or anyone else with a 770 could do an update, that would be great.

We have the Avtex One, which is a rebadged 770 - and so far it seems fine, apart from -

1. The stupid warnings of animal crossing signs - okay until you realise that the sign is warning of risk of animals crossing for the next 15 km (or whatever).

2. The laughable pronunciations of French or Spanish street names - a never ending source of amusement, though.

On the speed limits issue, if you’re over 3.5 tonne (we are too) I think you’ll find that the limit on French single carriageway roads is reduced to 80 kph from 90, (according to the ACSI guide, anyway) so the Garmin is probably right.. Not sure what happens when the 90 kph limit reduces to 80 experimentally in July, though. And the same source shows the limit for all vans in Spain (whether over 3.5 tonne or not) as 80, where a car’s is 90. Whether the ACSI guide is right or not, I don’t know!

flyboyprowler - 2018-04-29 6:21 PM

Well, stupid me! I could have sworn that all the single carriageway limits were 90 for motorhomes as well! Do you find that the Avtex upgrades ok from the internet as I have had problems with the 760 in the past.

Thanks for that info.

The 80 limit over 3.5 tonne was initially a surprise to me too, even though we had an over 3.5 tonne van up to 5 years ago, but when we came to France and I noticed the limits on the Satnav I thought I’d better check!

I only did an initial update as we got it not long before we came away - that worked fine over Wi-fi, though.

I think there was a major issue with Garmin updates removing installed POI sets around the turn of the year, but if I recall right they reckon to have solved the problem?

Mine is a 760 and must admit apart from the funny 'English' pronunciations of some place names, which i can live with, i rarely notice the speed warnings as i tend to drive according to the traffic and the only time i might want quick A to B, then i'll use an Autobahn and there isn't much chance of breaking the speed limit in a mh/camper on there! The rest of time i like to trundle around country roads. I've never seen the 'animal crossing' warning on my gps at all though!

Bulletguy - 2018-04-29 9:43 PM

I am considering upgrading to the 770 from the 760.

How is it an "upgrade"? :-S

https://www.cnet.com/products/garmin-dezl-760lmt-gps-navigator-0100106210/specs/

https://www.cnet.com/products/garmin-dezl-770lmthd-gps-navigator/specs/

The 770 can be updated wirelessly, seems the data base may be bigger and the screen is larger, so maybe worth a look!

flyboyprowler - 2018-04-29 9:18 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-04-29 9:43 PM

I am considering upgrading to the 770 from the 760.

How is it an "upgrade"? :-S

https://www.cnet.com/products/garmin-dezl-760lmt-gps-navigator-0100106210/specs/

https://www.cnet.com/products/garmin-dezl-770lmthd-gps-navigator/specs/

The 770 can be updated wirelessly, seems the data base may be bigger and the screen is larger, so maybe worth a look!

I'm not sure how the 770 screen is 'larger'? :-S If anything it seems the 760 is larger though by such a small amount nobody would notice.

Garmin 770

DISPLAY

Diagonal Size 7 in - widescreen

Display Resolution 800 x 480 pixels

Diagonal Size (metric) 17.6 cm

Display Width 6 in

Display Height 3.3 in

Garmin 760

DISPLAY

Diagonal Size 7 in - widescreen

Display Resolution 800 x 480 pixels

Diagonal Size (metric) 17.8 cm

Display Width 6.1 in

Display Height 3.4 in

To be honest i believe you will find the 770 is pretty much a rebadged 760 in a more squared off case......though Garmin most certainly would not tell you that. They are in the business of selling 'new' models! As for 'updating wirelessly'......how often do you update? I do mine a couple of times each year on my desktop pc at home. The last thing i want is to be faffing around over 'updates' when i'm away!

Regards storage both take micro SD and Garmin will tell you you only need and 8gb card for mapping though i've stuck a 32gb in mine which is pure 'overkill' as Garmin told me that's the maximum size so wouldn't take beyond that anyway.

Regards storage both take micro SD and Garmin will tell you you only need and 8gb card for mapping though i've stuck a 32gb in mine which is pure 'overkill' as Garmin told me that's the maximum size so wouldn't take beyond that anyway.

I take those comments re the differences on board, but do you find that you need the extra storage as I have not got an extra card. In deed the "chat" with Garmin said that they had cleared a lot of the memory on my Camper, and the next update I did (because I was getting an error previously) was OK. Maybe I need to get an extra micro SD card?

StuartO - 2017-03-21 4:42 PM............................ likewise it warns of tight bends and narrowing sections of road in a useful way. .......................

Interesting! The Achilles heel of these camper/truck sat-navs hitherto, has been that the mapping (in the case of both Garmin (Navteq) and TomTom (Teleatlas) does not include general road width data, but only legal restrictions on vehicle widths. Does the above imply that they are now beginning to map road widths, or only that they are including "road narrows" signage into the mapping data.

flyboyprowler - 2018-04-30 9:17 AM

I take those comments re the differences on board, but do you find that you need the extra storage as I have not got an extra card. In deed the "chat" with Garmin said that they had cleared a lot of the memory on my Camper, and the next update I did (because I was getting an error previously) was OK. Maybe I need to get an extra micro SD card?

No. In fact on an update i did last year it flashed up as "storage almost full" (words to that effect but not exactly that...can't remember the precise used) and i thought 'that's odd, i've got a damn big card in' and without thinking of looking first, i phoned tech support at Garmin......and that was the first question they asked me! Had i looked at my card? Of course it was empty.....silly me for not checking first!

The only reason i've got a 32gb card in is it was the only micro sd i had at home when i bought the Garmin, but an 8gb would be sufficient. I just didn't see any point buying another card when i had one sitting on a shelf doing nothing so that's the reason the 32gb is in.

Another point you might read on forums is folk saying "use a Class 10 because they are faster" which is true...they are faster than 4 or 6, but Garmin tech told me the highest class they recommend for gps is a 6. Class 10 is only any use in cameras.

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-30 11:55 AM

StuartO - 2017-03-21 4:42 PM............................ likewise it warns of tight bends and narrowing sections of road in a useful way. .......................

Interesting! The Achilles heel of these camper/truck sat-navs hitherto, has been that the mapping (in the case of both Garmin (Navteq) and TomTom (Teleatlas) does not include general road width data, but only legal restrictions on vehicle widths. Does the above imply that they are now beginning to map road widths, or only that they are including "road narrows" signage into the mapping data.

Brian, its your 2nd bit they include, "road narrows" into the mapping data, an orange sign gets displayed with wording narrow road ahead in 350 mtrs (as an example) same again for tight bends

Jonathan

silverback - 2018-04-30 7:32 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-04-30 11:55 AM

Brian, its your 2nd bit they include, "road narrows" into the mapping data, an orange sign gets displayed with wording narrow road ahead in 350 mtrs (as an example) same again for tight bends

Jonathan

Brian,

They've been reading your rally pace notes! :D

Keith.

I agree with Brian, the width setting is a potential problem. We have a new 770 and have a width (mirrors folded) of 2.38 mtrs. Allowing for mirrors NOT folded, I set to 2.8 mtrs wide and wondered why the route wanted to take me through the Blackwall tunnel and through East London instead of through Dartford tunnel. ie travelling from Kent to M11. Discovered that there is a width restriction on the Dartford approach! Reset width to 2.75mtrs and hey ho! it wants to take us via Dartford tunnel which is the sensible route. All a bit hit and miss but as always, you need to use some common sense when interpreting what the Garmin tells you.

Barry

Just regarding the differences between the 760 and 770, straight from Garmin today

Below are the main improvements that the 770 has

Camper 770LMT-D | Garmin

Camper routing1 and road warnings help guide your Camper or Caravan.

Includes free Digital Traffic via DAB, plus free live services2 such as LiveTrack, basic weather information, and more using the Smartphone Link app.

Hands-free features include Bluetooth® calling3, smart notifications4 and voice-activated navigation.

Filterable Motorhome Campsite data from ACSI™, NKC™, and MotorHomeFacts™.

Built-in Wi-Fi® for easy map and software updates; no computer needed.

Includes lifetime safety camera updates

Also, as said above, the 770 seems to give better width restriction information, but I am not too sure if I would want to pull my mirrors in to get a different routing. Certainly, on occasions, when I have "cheated" the route with the 760, I have never had problems that could be seen. Its difficult to know which one to choose!

t I am not too sure if I would want to pull my mirrors in to get a different routing. Certainly, on occasions, when I have "cheated" the route with the 760, I have never had problems that could be seen. Its difficult to know which one to choose!

The amended setting of 2.75m is the exact width with mirrors extended.There is no suggestion of physically "pulling the mirrors in". I went to 2.8m as an allowance. I am surmising that Garmin already build in an allowance for the dimensions which the user enters. Interestingly there is guidance on the tunnel at http://driverrequire.co.uk/highways-england-issues-advice-drivers-goods-vehicles-using-dartford-crossing/

It seems that 2.75 is a threshhold which Garmin presumably adhere to in their routing. Hopefully when we next drive it Garmin will direct us to the correct lane??? We shall see.

• 2 years later...

Just thought I would resurrect this thread as I have now acquired an Avtex Tourer One 770 onto which I would like to download POI's for aires, french/spanish supermarkets etc and a few british POI's like garden centres.

Although it does update via WiFi I expect downloading POI's is done via a USB connection to the computer but can anyone recommend a good source of free POI files please?

David

I have this model and a standard car type model and compared to the very old TomTom I recently retired due to TomTom cancelling their updates for life promise, the Garmin's map data is inferior to TomTom.

The main issues I have with it is that when exiting a roundabout the TomTom would indicate the road number and nearby towns on the route, these towns would be shown on road signs. On the Garmin it merely indicates the street or road name which is no use to man nor beast as the street or road names are usually too small to see whilst negotiating a roundabout or junction. The "2nd Exit" type of advice is also flawed as sometimes a factory or retail park access is included and sometimes it is not. Same with pedestrianised streets and some slip roads.

The second issue is that for some reason the information about one-way systems and roads that have been changed or re-routed often do not show accurately on the Garmin whereas on the TomTom I didn't have as many of those issues.

Both makes fall foul to often inaccurate speed limits.

After using TomTom for around 12 years and the Garmins for around two to three years I find both Garmins inferior. For work the map and route suggestions on the car model are often slower than my own deviations yet the model is set for the fastest route. Today for example I knocked 6 minutes off the suggested route simply by turning right instead of left as I left my customer's address. This happens on a daily occurrence.

In short; I wouldn't blindly trust the Garmin Camper if my nous was telling me otherwise.

Nicepix - I agree with you entirely. This is the second Garmin I have tried with pretty much the same results. The first one I tried I returned and got my money back then bought a a TomTom Pro that is far superior in every way. The only reason I am keeping this 770 is that it came with the vehicle and is linked to a wireless reversing camera - which also leaves much to be desired - so, until I can afford to have a proper camera fitted I will continue to use it. However, if we ever get to go overseas again my TomTom will be the satnav of choice.

David

Archived