Headlights For A UK Vehicle in Italy

APN01

I am in the process of importing my Auto Trail Tracker into Italy. I have a vehicle test scheduled for 15 November and the motorhome still has UK headlights. Does anyone know if I need to replace the entire units or is there a simpler less expensive solution? Any advice gratefully received.

This is for a 2003 Fiat Ducato base, correct?

So three options I can think of in order of cost...

1. Fit a set of stick on 'beam benders' and hope the tester accepts them.

2. Buy a second hand pair of LHD headlights and swap them over.

3. Buy a brand new pair of LHD headlights and swap them over.

Keith.

When a LHD motorhome is imported into the UK, the DVLA demands that, if its headlamps’ dipped-beam pattern is for ‘driving on the right’ traffic (ie. the dipped beam is asymmetrical and rightwards-oriiented) and the headlamps are not designed to have that beam altered to comply with the UK ‘driving-on-the-left’ norm, then the headlamps must be replaced.

On the other hand, the UK’s MOT test permits masks or beam-converters to be temporarily attached to ‘right dipping’ headlamps, thus allowing a LHD motorhome to pass the test despite having headlamps that do not meet the DVLA’s requirements.

Can’t you just ask the test centre what they’ll accept?

When we imported our car into France we had to change the light units. The rules changed in around 2018, before then you could get away with benders. Got some second hand lights and all was ok. I am sure an Italian garage "officially" should demand that the lights are changed

Surely a local (Italian) dealer will advise where to get some secondhand lights? There must be breakers near to you but like in UK they tend to be in out of town industrial (cheap rent) locations so you may not have noticed them, but local m/h dealers will point you in the right location?

It might help if you can wave your arms around in a very exaggerated manner too

:-D :-D

John52 - 2021-11-01 7:35 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2021-10-31 3:10 PM

Can’t you just ask the test centre what they’ll accept?

But then they'll have to give the official answer.

Wheras if you try it on you might get away with it :-S

And if APN01’s doesn’t “get away with it” and his motorhome is failed, he’ll have to have the vehicle retested and obtain and have fitted right-dipping headlamps before that test takes place. (And don’t forget his insurance problems either).

I would have thought that (like in the UK) the regulations defining the scope of the Italian test would be accessible online or an Italian test centre would have the regulations and could advise a motorist about headlamps.

Italian roadworthiness testing is referred to here

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/italy/transport/vehicle-ownership/vehicle-roadworthiness

The test centre at Lucca obviously won’t be the only one in Italy, so if there were concern that asking the Lucca centre about the headlamps might cause the centre to take a ‘harder line’ than if ADP01 just turned up there with his motorhome, APN01 could ask another test centre what the headlamp regulations are.

This (translated) link relates to the Italian test and headlamp checking

https://www-revisioneauto-eu.translate.goog/controllo-dei-fari-la-revisione-auto/?_x_tr_sl=it&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=nui,sc

The statement "the technical manager must check the presence of the homologation markings” suggests that left-dipping headlamps designed and homologated for left-hand-traffic (eg. UK roads) won’t be acceptable even if beam-benders or masks were attached to the lights. Given how picky the Italian authorities have been so far regarding this importing exercise, by far the wisest approach would be to fit the motorhome with right-dipping headlamps (and have them appropriately adjusted) before the test on 15 November.

(Dare I say this, but a possible conflict between the motorhome’s UK-specification headlamps and the Italian inspection test should have been recognised right at the start of the importing process and not at such a late stage.)

APN01 - 2021-10-31 1:40 PM

I am in the process of importing my Auto Trail Tracker into Italy. I have a vehicle test scheduled for 15 November and the motorhome still has UK headlights. Does anyone know if I need to replace the entire units or is there a simpler less expensive solution? Any advice gratefully received.

It's likely you will need to replace them with LHD light units. You're importing your mh to Italy so it has to comply with their MOT equivalent (not ours). I know it's compulsory for BFPO in Germany as they are considered resident and all German laws apply to them, including the TUV (MOT).

This 2013/2014 discussion related to headlamp requirements for RHD vehicles (With ‘RHD’ left-dipping headlamps) being imported to Switzerland.

https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/190141-rhd-headlights-adjustment-uk-car.html

The headlamps of APN01’s 2003 Ducato-based motorhome will have no built-in design capability to alter their dipped-beam pattern to a ‘flat’ profile, but what the Switzerland thread may show is that ‘foreign’ testers may allow latitude or may make decisions that a country’s regulations don’t necessarily support.

ebay.it indicates that the asking-price of a pair of new headlamp units (presumably ‘pattern’ versions) suitable for a 2003 Ducato is from €120 - €160

Derek Uzzell - 2021-11-01 2:10 PM

ebay.it indicates that the asking-price of a pair of new headlamp units (presumably ‘pattern’ versions) suitable for a 2003 Ducato is from €120 - €160

Can't quibble with that price which is pretty cheap as long as he buys them in Italy to avoid paying customs import duties.

• 1 month later...

So. I checked with the testing centre in Italy and I do need to replace the headlights on my 2003 FIAT Ducato 2.0 based Auto Trail Tracker for importation. Current OEN's for the lights are:

RH: 13 3781 7080

LH: 13 3781 8080

Having done some research I am pretty sure that the OEN's for replacement lights would be:

RH: 13 3781 5080

LH: 13 3781 6080

although none of the parts suppliers I have been in touch with seem very sure. If so replacement lights would cost around 200 euro for something midrange - Van Wezel in this case.

There are however replacement lights for the same vehicle and same brand but much more expensive. The difference would appear to be that the more expensive lights have an integral electric motor for beam adjustment. On the dashboard there is a beam adjuster and all the OEN's above are notated as - for vehicles with electric headlight alignment correction. I am assuming that on the cheaper lights the electric correction is external to the headlamp unit and that these would be compatible with my vehicle.

Any thoughts on the above would be very welcome.

My understanding is that the headlamp beam adjustment of Fiat Ducato X244 models (built 2001-2005) involves an electric motor external to the headlamp itself and available separately. (Prior to 2001, Ducato headlamp adjustment was via a pneumatic or hydraulic system.)

Attached below is a drawing of a Ducato X244 headlamp with the electric motor arrowed in green.

I'm guessing that X244 headlamps designed for 'left-hand traffic' (eg. traffic in the UK) use the same motors as the equivalent headlamps designed for 'right-hand traffic (eg. traffic in Italy) and if that's the case and your Ducato's current beam adjustment works OK, you might be able to swap the motors from your existing headlamps to new 'no-motor' headlamps.

I've looked at a few online adverts for Ducato X244 headlamps and some of the 'with-motor' headlamps (eg. Magneti Marelli units) aren't that much more expensive than 'no-motor' units. Me, I'd buy the cheapest 'with-motor' units I could find rather than risk buying 'no-motor' units and then find the motors from the old RHD-pattern lights don't work properly.

headlamp.png.f142d4dca188984480eca49e7712999b.png

...my impression is that all the p/n you quote are electrically adjustable via an adjustment motor that is external and separate to the headlight unit itself.

You should be able to ascertain whether your current units have the external adjustment by reference to this:

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-citroen-relay-headlight-level-motor-02-06-9949563.html

which shows the motor and the location.

If they are fitted to your existing units, they ought to be re-usable with units supplied without the motor. (i.e. they are supplied without motor to save costs where the existing moto is still functional).

The other links on the Coastal site certainly leads one to believe this, e.g.:

https://coastalmotorhomes.co.uk/citroen-relay-fiat-ducato-peugeot-boxer-front-right-headlight-lhd-2002-2006.html

(which is one of the LHD units you're looking for - and details that it has electric adjustment, but that it is supplied without the motor).

Given that the electric function is levelling, I wouldn't expect the "handing" of the headlights to make any difference to the use of the motor.

Don't "quote me" on any of the preceding, but that's what it looks like to me. Coastal have a good reputation for advice, so it might be worth a 'phone call (even if international, you'd be talking to someone in English ;-) - or an eMail query)

• 2 weeks later...

I had intended to post earlier to note a very big thanks for the advice and guidance. Completely invaluable as always. So. In the end I ordered replacement headlights without motors as I could not find anything with motors which was not quite a bit more expensive. A couple of Van Wezel headlights cost around 150 euro from a company called Daparto which I think is based in Germany and arrived within 3 days.

Good news. Although getting the front grill off was a bit of a hassle with seized bolts, headlight removal is pretty straightforward and the fittings seem the same on both original and replacement lights. I have transferred the lights over. Not so good news. The motor fittings look identical but I cannot disconnect the motor wiring on the originals. The connector seems to interlock with the circuit board on the motor in some way and I cannot work out how to release it. Any ideas very welcome.

More generally, getting anyone to work on the vehicle has been really difficult. I am not sure if this is language or business culture or the fact that it is a UK vehicle. I have tried 5 - 6 different garages and no-one seems interested. My current plan is to get the tyres and lights replaced, some corrosion underneath taken care of and then put it through the test and see what the Italian authorities come up with.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Archived