Help - Broken rear light cluster

Pete-B

I broke the drivers side rear light cluster cover yesterday whilst on site. I've got it covered with cling film and cellotape hoping it will get me home. I've then got to get a replacement and fit it, so my question for someone whose not too savvy at these things, is it a relatively easy job and how do you do it?

Appreciate any help thanks.

I got one for an X2/50 van off ebay

Several people selling them, and cheaper than I thought.

Easy to replace on the van if you can get to the rear of it to undo the 2 nuts.

Might be more complicated with the trim on a motorhome.

But they would have to make it reasonably accessible because you have to take it out to change a bulb.

Pete’s motorhome is a 2020 Peugeot Boxer-based Auto-Sleepers Warwick XL panel-van conversion.

It might be worth Pete asking about this via the ASOF forum if he wants detailed instructions.

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/

It’s well known that changing a Boxer/Ducato/Relay-based panel-van conversion's rear light (or just one of the light’s bulbs) may require a heart-surgeon’s manual dexterity. However, this YouTube video

suggests that access to the rear lights from inside the motorhome may not be too bad (though- as John52 has said - it may well be necessary to remove some trim to reach the back of the rear light so that its fixings can be undone.)

.............................................................................................................

And (for the umpteenth time)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/-IDENTIFYING-YOUR-MOTORHOME-/54713/

Derek Uzzell - 2021-06-28 2:27 PM

Pete’s motorhome is a 2020 Peugeot Boxer-based Auto-Sleepers Warwick XL panel-van conversion.

It might be worth Pete asking about this via the ASOF forum if he wants detailed instructions.

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/

It’s well known that changing a Boxer/Ducato/Relay-based panel-van conversion's rear light (or just one of the light’s bulbs) may require a heart-surgeon’s manual dexterity. However, this YouTube video

suggests that access to the rear lights from inside the motorhome may not be too bad (though- as John52 has said - it may well be necessary to remove some trim to reach the back of the rear light so that its fixings can be undone.)

Thanks for that information Derek, yes there are two internal removeable covers but as yet I haven't checked behind them.

From an interior view of the Warwick XL on Auto-Sleepers website, it is clear that the two access panels for the rear light cluster fixings are relatively unobstructed, and access to remove them should be straightforward.

That just leaves the question of removing the two fixing nuts (misleadingly referred to as "screws" in Derek's Fiat and Peugeot manual screen grabs). Do not underestimate this step! :-)

As can be seen from Derek's YouTube link, the nuts are somewhat odd in shape but, as is less clear from the video, although the upper is readily accessible, the lower one is rather more of a fiddle to get at. You absolutely must use a 17mm socket spanner to undo these, and you must also ensure that the socket engages the nuts to its full depth when retrieving the nuts, especially the lower one. If you don't have/can't find the 17mm socket supplied in the Peugeot toolkit, get yourself one plus an appropriate driver (Halfords or whoever).

This has nothing to do with the two nuts themselves, which are not tightened to any great extent. They have been purpose made to retain the light clusters in place and, as can be seen in the YouTube video (if stopped at the right point), are abnormally long and are "waisted" to receive the 6 or 10mm (didn't measure!) captive retaining bolts projecting from the rear face of the light cluster. This is presumably intended to avoid the fiddle of trying to manipulate the otherwise quite small standard 6 or 10mm nuts into place where vision and access are limited. So, you end up with what is, in effect, an elongated 6/10mm threaded nut with a 17mm head.

The point of all the above is that should one of these nuts fall out of the socket spanner as it unscrews and before you have safely retrieved it, it will drop into a void between the inner and outer skins of the bodywork that extends at least down to floor level (a bit like a well!), from which it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to retrieve. So, to eliminate the chance of that happening, especially with the more awkward lower nut, the use of a socket spanner, and care as you retrieve the spanner with the nut still nestled in it, is highly desirable. It may help to put a small blob of something sticky (Blu Tack or similar?) inside the socket to ensure the nut stays safely in place until you can safely remove it and set it aside! Then, when the new light cluster is connected and in place, use the same socket to run the nuts onto the two projecting retaining bolts and tighten gently - remembering that those bolts are only held in plastic at the other end! Forewarned is forearmed? :-D

As has been said above, ’pattern’ UK-offside rear light units are advertised online from £33.50 upwards.

I believe the Peugeot part number is LLL261 and the Fiat part number is 1380672080. A brand-new ‘genuine’ complete light unit is likely to be priced at close to £100, though it seems possible to obtain just the lens-unit (ie. without the bulb holder) for about half that.

(I assume these light units are not ‘handed’ regarding their foglamp functionality - that nearside and offside units both carry a foglamp-bulb fitting.)

Derek Uzzell - 2021-06-30 7:12 AM.........................(I assume these light units are not ‘handed’ regarding their foglamp functionality - that nearside and offside units both carry a foglamp-bulb fitting.)

On the basis of our 2017 X290, yes. All five functions (rear, stop, indicator, reversing and rear fog) are present on both l/h and r/h units, all are equipped with lamp holders and lamps, and all function.

In addition to following Brian Kirby’s advice “...to put a small blob of something sticky (Blu Tack or similar?) inside the socket to ensure the nut stays safely in place until you can safely remove it and set it aside”, after the internal removable covers have been taken off it would be wise to carefully stuff with rag the void beneath the back of the rear light. That way, if one of the retaining nuts is dropped when the nut is being removed or replaced, it will just land on the rag. (Obviously the rag itself should be removed once the rear light has been replaced and the nuts done up.)

This reminded me I kept a rag in there on my X2/50 (a bit of screwed up anti slip plastic mat that doesn't retain water). Occasionally there was an irritating tapping noise coming from there that kept me awake. Just when the van was parked at a certain angle. Hard to find. I eventually discovered it was condensation forming in the roof box sections, running down inside that rear corner box section, and dripping on to a metal plate tapping it like a drum.

(Follow-up by Pete-B)

BRICKBATS TO ROSES

We tend to throw brickbats at companies who give bad service or generally turn us over with ridiculous prices and rightly so. But on the other hand there are some good people out there who are just the opposite and I think need to be mentioned.

You will know from my previous posting that I smashed the lens on my O/S rear light cluster. I took the good advice from the forum and thought I could change this myself. I got the cover off inside the van and under all the insulation, I spotted the nut which holds the top of the light on. I loosened this with a 17mm socket as adviced but I couldn't even see the bottom one and after delving right down with my arm could just reach it with my finger tips. I couldn't see any way I could even get a socket on it let alone undo it. So I bit the bullet and found a commercial garage locally who I didn't even know was there who seem to deal mainly with HGVs. I called them and told them honestly that I'd bought the lens, had a go at fitting it but failed miserably and could they possibly help me out.

The receptionist ask her boss who said "come down and they would have a look".. I went straight there and he sent one his technicians out to have a look, he was a young guy, not huge, but looked very strong. He grabbed the top nut which I'd done up with the socked as tight as I dared considering it goes into plastic and he turned it off as though I'd left it loose. I said he would need some sort of socket to get the bottom one off. He put his arm down and said there wasn't room to get anything on it, he seemed to be fiddling around and next thing I know he had it in his hand. How the hell he did that I will never know but he did graze his knuckles in doing it.

I guess all in all he took about 20-25 minutes to do the job and test all the lights were working so I expected to pay for at least 1 hours labour. Went up to the office and the boss said no charge go off and enjoy your van and you might want to remember us when your service or MOT comes up.

So if anyone comes from the South Lin'cs area and needs any work doing you could do far worse than calling Kennington Commercials in Bourne...

Archived