You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Format:  Go
Motorhome Warrantee Query
AuthorMessage
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 2 January 2022 2:52 PM
Subject: RE: Motorhome Warrantee Query

Regarding the loose screws, Paul said earlier

In terms of the loose screws I mentioned previously, they have actually come totally out and cannot be reinserted. They don't grip. Dealership has told me to fill the holes with PVA glue and try again. One of them is the bracing for the travel seat which means we can't use the travel seat until its fixed or indeed the bench / seat that it converts into.

There's no doubt that Paul's middle photo above relates to the forwards-facing travel seat as the motorhome's kitchen is visible behind the bulkhead that carries the headrest. There's also no doubt that the two seats that the settee can convert into are considered 'travel seats' nor that each seat has a 3-point seat-belt. The latter feature is highlighted in this review

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-pilote-pacific-p626d-evidence/1029363

(and you'll note the comment in the last sentence).

Another plus is the neat way the lounge backrests ping into position, secured by magnetic strips – no more arriving on site and finding a pile of cushions on the floor! And, if you plan on carrying passengers, the nearside bench can also convert into a pair of travel seats with three-point seatbelts – one forward-facing and one rearward-facing. The conversion is simple and requires no extra cushions (two settee cushions are left over) but we’d like to see more metalwork in the seat structure.

I don't recall any passenger weight/size restriction for the 'convertible' travel seats of my Rapido motorhome, nor any instructions on how to carry out the conversion. The end of the longer settee lacked support for the seat cushion as a consequence of the conversion process and (as I never intended to carry passengers in the Rapido's lounge) I extended the top of the seat base to provide the necessary support.

Before selling the Rapido I thought I should check what the conversion involved and discovered that the extra backrest needed for UK-offside travel-seat had the fittings for the headrest on the wrong sides, making height adjustment of the headrest extremely difficult. I never did work out how the UK-nearside travel-seat's headrest could be height-adjusted. Hidden behind a wooden panel was a metal framework with springs in it into which the headrest's uprights plugged, but I feared that if I pushed the uprights too far into the frame, there was every chance that I would not be able to get them out again. The 640F model began to be marketed in 2013 and I suspect that buyers must have complained about this headrest adjustment difficulty as 2016 model-year 640Fs had no metal frame or headrest height adjustment for the UK-nearside seat, just a simple padded headrest fixed high above the backrest cushion in case one carried a basketball player.
userBrian Kirby
Posted: 2 January 2022 4:23 PM

Thanks for that, Derek. Clearly, having looked at Paul's picture of the forward facing passenger seat, and then tried to understand the importance of the screws, I've side-tracked my-self onto its rear facing counterpart - which was not the subject of Paul's complaint. I still can't properly see what the panel in Paul's photo is supposed to be screwed onto. I assume a hinge of some sort, as there seem to be six screws involved and it appears to be the hinged seat base access to the locker below.

But, on the rear facing seat, Peter's "but we’d like to see more metalwork in the seat structure" is very Delphic, isn't it? I wonder what he really thought? Have you asked him - in confidence, of course!

Edited by Brian Kirby 2022-01-02 4:39 PM
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 3 January 2022 9:25 AM

Although there's plenty of online guidance about the type of seat-belts fitted to a motorhome's 'designated travel seats', with emphasis on the security/strength of the seat-belt mounting points, I can't find anything about controlling/testing the design and construction of the seats themselves. So an orange-box screwed to a motorhome's floor with a bit of foam on top for comfort and a bare plywood backrest would appear to be acceptable provided that this 'seat' has a sturdily mounted 3-point belt.

(I interpret Peter's comment as "the structure of these seats lacks robustness and is unlikely to provide adequate accident-protection for people using them", but I doubt Pilote would be happy with a review that said that.)
userBrian Kirby
Posted: 3 January 2022 10:55 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2022-01-03 9:25 AM.........................
(I interpret Peter's comment as "the structure of these seats lacks robustness and is unlikely to provide adequate accident-protection for people using them", but I doubt Pilote would be happy with a review that said that.)

Quite!!
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 5 January 2022 1:28 PM

Paul may be interested in an "Our motorhome" article in the latest edition of MMM Magazine (February 2022).

This article deals with a 2020-model Pilote P696D (rather than Paul's shorter P626D) and the final page (Page120) lists several fairly significant conversion-related faults. (bed, oven ignition, EHU battery charging, radio/sat/nav, radio aerial, etc.)

The motorhome was purchased from a dealership at Newark (presumably SMC Motorhomes) who seem to have done their best to address the problems when the motorhome's owner was able to take the vehicle to Newark. The final paragraph reads "This has highlighted the issue of buying from a dealer a long way from home - 300 miles in our case. Our local Pilote dealer declined to do warranty work on a motorhome that it had not sold".
userPaul.S
Posted: 5 January 2022 5:14 PM

Having a look around

Thanks All,

I will keep you updated with progress. The advice provided has been much appreciated and should help me in my negotiations with the dealership.

kind regards

Paul
usertonyishuk
Posted: 6 January 2022 5:53 PM

Forum master

Slow draining sinks.

It could be a matter of construction crud down the tubes being caught in the corrugated tube.

My first approach would be using a plumber’s plunger GENTLY on the plug hole and see if a bit of push and pull of water frees anything

Drain cleaner left to soak before washing through might help to soften the crud , repeat with plunger WITH CARE.

Most motor home Plumbing is plastic but joints vary between push fit, welded fit or screw fit (hose clip)

Some mhome sinks have a waste trap which looks like a flat circular plastic tub, about 50 mm deep. The bottom unscrews, and with luck, a diamond will fall out lost by previous owners wedding ring.

Reds

Edited by tonyishuk 2022-01-06 5:55 PM
userKeithl
Posted: 6 January 2022 6:01 PM

Lord of the posts

tonyishuk - 2022-01-06 5:53 PM

...and with luck, a diamond will fall out lost by previous owners wedding ring.

Very unlikely seem as it is a brand new MH!
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 7 January 2022 8:53 AM

You never know...

I remember reading a story (years ago) where the owner of a new Italian car reported massive vibration when the vehicle was being driven. A check showed that one of the front wheels was well out of balance and rebalancing was carried out. The next day the vehicle's owner came back to the car dealership complaining that the problem had recurred - the wheel's tyre was removed and the wallet of one of the Italian factory workers was found inside the tyre.

One of my Golf GTi cars was forever going back to the VW dealership in Gloucester for under-warranty work. On one visit I asked the service manager "Have any of your mechanics said they had lost any tools?". He replied "No" and I replied "That's good as I'll be able to keep the brand-new spanner that fell out from under the dashboard when I drove home after my car was last worked on here."

But as another owner of a new P626D complained 5 months ago of the 'sink' being slow to drain, it may be assumed that this is a characteristic of this Pilote model, rather than something unusual about Paul's motorhome.
userBrian Kirby
Posted: 7 January 2022 10:07 AM

I suppose the revealing answer to a simple question might give a clue. The simple question? How far is it from the washbasin to the waste tank into which it drains. The important criterion is the length of horizontal travel once the washbasin drain gets to floor level.

A second question is what type of waste drain pipe has been fitted? That is to say plumbing grade PVC (or equivalent) with solvent welded, compression, or push fit joints, ribbed flexible pipe (and whether smooth or ribbed internally), or "glorified hosepipe"? The point being that the former should be smooth and undistorted from end to end, while the latter will be the most prone to kinks and flattening. Ribbed flexible being, for obvious reasons, the most prone to accumulating "crud".

After all, when the basin is filled and the plug removed, there should be an initial surge of water down the drain with an (approximately) initial 600mm head driving it, which should shift most of any loose material to the end of the pipe. So, knowing the horizontal distance and the pipe type will be instrumental in diagnosis of potential problem areas.
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator