Northern Lights

michele

Hi Michele, long time no chat -I often wonder what became of you as you disappeared - hope you and the family are all well.

What countries are you considering travelling to?

We have seen the Northern Lights from the North coast of Scotland but the further South you are the less the chances.

Norway and Finland are a very long way to drive but you don't need any more paperwork than you do for France, just be sure you read what you can and cannot take into those countries. The roads are often quiet but very rarely dual carriageway so whilst you can cover big mileages you often will not do so at Motorway speeds.

The Northern Lights are much more visible on dark nights, although it is still a lottery as to whether they will oblige and coincide with your visit, and that means colder weather up North and maybe snow and difficult roads too.

When we toured that part we didn't use any sites and they are very expensive and may not be open out of summer season.

Richard, Long time I hope you guys are well also we are all fine . Still poodling along with the children in tow haha looks like i will never retire.

I just get so busy that I forget to log on and before you know it the day is done and then life takes over . I do mean to pop in but as Ive never been much help with the practical side of things well....

Anyway I always say Im back and hopefully I am this time lots of questions to ask .

Im in no hurry re the lights and it wont be a quick trip its for when we retire my bucket list so to speak .

Ive been looking lately at the country and just thought Id ask who had done it .

Ive still got the Rapido and all is well although we bought a Caravan for this years SOF trip needs must with the boy .Thanks for all your info and watch out for me ive come back to haunt you :D

Hi Michele and welcome back!!!

I saw the Northern lights a few years ago while working in Arjeplog in Northern Sweden. It was very late February or early March and night time temperatures where down below -25 °C so be prepared if you travel that far North!

We where staying at the Hotel Kraja which has a campsite attached...

https://silverresort.se/en/accommodation/kraja/camping/

From Arjeplog it is less than 100 miles to the Arctic Circle.

Keith.

Hi Michele;

If it’s a bucket list thing and maybe not a whole family trip? Then maybe Iceland for a few days at the most likely time of year, without the van.

Probably similar to Norway or Sweden cost wise,

We saw a hint of them in Reykjavik, but an hour out in the cold at midnight just 5 mins away from a warm hotel was bearable!

Regards, Snowie

None of these countries are known for their clear skies so in addition to solar activity you need luck with the weather. I've spent a lot of time in Finland (mostly south) over the past 10 years in all seasons and have seen the sun/stars on about 10-20% of my days there. Winters are especially bad in that regard. Let's just say I haven't seen the aurora yet. But I also never went looking for it on purpose.

So be prepared to spend a bit of time there. Or you might get lucky on day 1. Obviously much more likely to see it up north (Rovaniemi, Tromso etc.). And be ready for temps well below -20.

Hi

We saw the lights in Finland 4 years ago. Temperatures bottomed out at minus 37C so not motorhoming temps.

The lights are better some years than others. This is linked to sun cycles. 4 years ago the probabilities were high, hence our trip. You need to do research on when best to go. I beleive the cycle is low at the moment.

We went for 7 nights. Saw the lights on two nights, one excellent and the other mediocre.

So, choose you year with care and go for a maximum period you can manage to give best chance.

Peter

After midnight on a moonless nights in March and September (near the Spring and Vernal equinoxes) is the optimum time to see a good auroral display. We are approaching solar minimum, so auroral activity is likely to be lower. However, as many have said, weather also plays a big part in whether or not you will actually get to see a display.

Will86 - 2018-09-11 1:25 PM

They were seen south of London in in Surrey when I was a youngster but it never gets dark here now and they've probably progressed further north following a colder pattern as may things are. Better be quick lest they fade over the horizon.

It will be better when Brexit is finalised!

Archived