OIL! Warning message

JTII

Hello,

first post :-D

Elddis Autoquest 2011 on a 2.2 Peugeot Boxer, 12,000 miles, serviced in January by the supplying dealer.

When the ignition is turned on, the message OIL shows on the mileometer, no flashing symbols just the word OIL. It disappears after a few seconds.

Have checked the oil level, it's fine at the top of the dip stick so rang a couple of Peugeot dealers. Couple said they'd need to hook it up to their diagnostics whilst one hazarded a guess it was because fuel had mixed with the lubricating oil.

A google trawl talks about oil degradation but surely this shouldn't be happening less than 1,000 miles after an oil change?

Any suggestions as to the cause and a fix?

Photo shows what I'm talking about! Edit - now attached!

Many thanks,

Jeremy

2005653849_photo(3).jpg.5d7a649c57cbbfd2dcaf8e536dbd9cfc.jpg

We have 7 of the 2012 boxer vans on our fleet and at least three of them have done this shortly after a service and we use very good grade oil mine was the first to do it and I held my foot on the brake and throttle fully switched on ign held them on for about at least 20 secs and it went out never to come on again also did this with another one but ours was red and stayed on try it hope it helps

Hi,

Sorry to jump in with my first post without introducing myself. I've only just registered, although I've been 'lurking' on here for many years.

I think this is perfectly normal, and it's just the oil level indicator doing it's job. The oil level is indicated - allegedly - by the number of circles shown. I've never found it to be parhicularly reliable, however, and prefer to rely on the dipstick.

Roger

Beltie - 2017-03-28 10:59 PM

Hi,

Sorry to jump in with my first post without introducing myself. I've only just registered, although I've been 'lurking' on here for many years.

I think this is perfectly normal, and it's just the oil level indicator doing it's job. The oil level is indicated - allegedly - by the number of circles shown. I've never found it to be parhicularly reliable, however, and prefer to rely on the dipstick.

Roger

Roger seems to have found the answer.

From my quick bit of searching I found a Peugeot website http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ddb/#/38 where you can open an interactive owners manual and page 37 details instrument cluster messages.

This states that 'Oil' and a series of circles is a selectable message showing oil level. You should be able to turn it off by going through the menu as described on this screen shot.

Keith.

1019130714_oilLevel.jpg.0d713f32b05341a64f031cdf0001faef.jpg

There’s a fair amount of on-line discussion about the Peugeot Boxer oil-level indicator

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=peugeot+boxer+oil+level+indicator&*

As Roger (Beltie) advises, the readout shown in the photo is what one would normally expect when the oil-level display option is enabled. As Keith says, this display option can be disabled (though I can’t see why one would want to do this!)

If there is a need to reset service indicator/oil-light warnings, this video-clip explains how

(Which is what Sunbeam has done.)

I agree with all the above that the issues are not uncommon directly after an Oil change.

However, do I read the original post correctly that this has occurred a couple of months later, at less than 1,000 miles, but not right after an Oil change?

Depending on how many miles after the Oil change this occurred, then there may be a different issue, possibly with a leaky Injector or something?

If this warning has come up several hundred miles down the line, I think I would play safe and get it checked, especially on this particular engine.

Actually, there is more to it than that.

This display is definitely for the oil level but the circles should be blobs. There are a total of 5 circles and they should all be blobs. If you have 2 blobs on the left followed by 3 circles to the right that means that you are 2/5 of the way between the min and max marks on the dipstick. (In theory).

Fiat engines have frequent faults and mismatches between the dash display and the actual level so i expect the Peugeot engines to be much the same. This indicates a faulty oil level sensor and if the vehicle was plugged in to a diagnostic unit the fault would be displayed. The sensor is not hugely expensive but as long as you keep an eye on the real level; i would not worry about it too much.

Not all vehicles have this oil level display. It is part of a 'high level instruments' pack and will be fitted if the vehicle has climate control, cruise control or if the 'oil level sensor' option box was ticked.

WOW! I wasn't expecting such a response, what a helpful forum this is.

Many thanks for all the really informative replies. Helped put my mind at ease so thank you.

I think the reason for its appearance maybe down to me looking at the Mode button and thinking, 'I wonder what that does?' Ahem :-(

In my defence is it only me who thinks the Peugeot Handbook could be better?

Thanks for the links and downloads, (they're now saved) it's much appreciated. I'll have a thorough read and go back to the Mode button armed with some knowledge before pressing merrily away...

Based on the Fiat Owner Handbook for Euro 4 Ducatos (eg. an up to mid-2011 vehicle) it would appear that a contemporary Peugeot Boxer could have two different displays - a ‘multifunction’ display or a ‘digital’ display.

When an engine oil level gauge was provided, the multifunction display would (on its topmost of three lines of information) carry the words “Oil level” followed by a maximum of 5 ‘blobs’, whereas the digital display would have a maximum of five ‘squares’ on the topmost of its two sections with “OIL” in the right corner of the lower section.

JTII’s photo exactly matches what the oil-level gauge readout would look like on a Euro 4 Ducato with a digital display.

The relevant Fiat Handbook says

"ENGINE OIL LEVEL GAUGE

(for versions/markets where provided)

The gauge provides a graphic indication of the level of oil in the engine.

Versions with digital display

When the ignition key is turned to MAR, the quantity of oil in the engine is displayed by means of five symbols.

The symbols are gradually turned off to indicate a reduction in the oil level.

If the oil level is lower than the minimum required value and a top-up is required, the display shows 5 dashes intermittently.

Four or 5 symbols light up to indicate a sufficient level of oil in the sump.

The failure of the fifth symbol to come on should not be taken as a fault or the fact that there is not enough oil in the sump.

IMPORTANT To find out the correct oil quantity, always check on the dipstick (see paragraph “Checking levels” in the section “Maintenance and care”).

After a few seconds, the symbol display indicating the amount of engine oil disappears and:

- When the next scheduled servicing is near, the time to the next service is displayed and the ‘spanner’ warning light lights up on the instrument panel. When the service date is reached, the display shows some dashes.

- then, if it is nearly time to change the engine oil, the time to the next oil change is shown on the top row

of the display and the message “OIL” appears in the lower part of the display. When the service date is

reached, the display shows five dashes."

(And, Yes, I think the Boxer handbook is pretty dire too. :'( :'( )

Derek Uzzell - 2017-03-29 9:08 AM

There’s a fair amount of on-line discussion about the Peugeot Boxer oil-level indicator

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=peugeot+boxer+oil+level+indicator&*

As Roger (Beltie) advises, the readout shown in the photo is what one would normally expect when the oil-level display option is enabled. As Keith says, this display option can be disabled (though I can’t see why one would want to do this!)

I can..........and fit one of these instead !!

OIL.jpg.5ff4297455d6bcc3fd8dafca616e2e53.jpg

Yes, but that’s an oil-pressure gauge, not an oil-level gauge, and there’s already a dashboard warning-light on a Boxer/Ducato for low oil-pressure.

Even if it was decided to fit a separate oil-pressure gauge, if the vehicle has the oil-level gauge option fitted, why would one deliberately choose not to see the readout?

Many thanks Derek, that's a decent description in the Fiat handbook.

With these engines (and the family's daily driver, a diesel Berlingo), I'm paranoid about oil - quality, levels, and frequency of changes, so when anything shouts oil at me, I'm on red alert.

This is a great site with such knowledgeable and helpful people, some sites are like tumbleweed, I found one where someone had posted 'Does anyone reply to posts?' - that was in 2016, he's still waiting.

Thanks again for all the helpful responses, I'm gobsmacked. (lol)

Derek Uzzell - 2017-03-29 1:56 PM

Yes, but that’s an oil-pressure gauge, not an oil-level gauge, and there’s already a dashboard warning-light on a Boxer/Ducato for low oil-pressure.

Even if it was decided to fit a separate oil-pressure gauge, if the vehicle has the oil-level gauge option fitted, why would one deliberately choose not to see the readout?

Because modern day electronic warnings are notorious for giving out false readings. How long does it take to check a dipstick....10 seconds? More reliable, hassle free and last the life of the vehicle. ;-)

My question (and Lord knows it’s not difficult to understand!) was, when a vehicle has a sensor-system that - when the vehicle’s ignition is switched on - will produce a readout on its instrument-panel display showing the oil-level, why would anyone choose to disable that feature? (And, for that matter, why would the vehicle manufacturer provide the ability to disable the oil-level display?)

An oil-pressure gauge will not indicate a vehicle’s oil-level and (although I’ve fitted them to some of my cars in the distant past) I suspect that installing such a gauge on a modern Boxer/Ducato would be challenging.

My understanding (from what Nick Fisher (euroserv) has said in an earlier discussion) is that X250 Peugeot Boxers have the oil-level indicator/display as standard, whereas it’s a cost-option on X250 Fiat Ducatos. In this 2015 thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-X290-questions/39663/

Nick refers to this Ducato option as

"033 Oil level indicator. £35 Nice to know how much oil you have each time you start the engine!”

As far as I’m aware there is nothing to suggest that the Boxer/Ducato oil-level indicator provides unreliable readouts and, in any case, nothing prevents a Boxer/Ducato owner confirming the accuracy of the indicator by taking regular dip-stick measurements.

I don’t know how familiar you are with modern Ducatos, but I find accurate oil-level checking far from easy with my 2015 version. In the Good Old Days, when dip-sticks were shortish, their ends had a cross-hatched surface and oil was thick, sticky and discoloured as soon as it was put into the motor, taking a dip-stick measurement was simple and quick. But with the thin 0W30 oil now used that stays clean for thousands of miles, plus a long springy dip-stick (photo attached) that needs to snake to reach the sump, ‘dip-sticking’ a Ducato is much trickier and I’d quite like to have the belt-and-braces capability of the oil-level indicator option.

dip-stick.jpg.e6fb2963ea79faeb400b8eb2d18bf489.jpg

Derek,

agreed. Some modern dipsticks are almost useless as measuring guides as they flex and the oil is spread as the dipstick is withdrawn, making it difficult to measure the level accurately. Culprits include Citroen C1, BMW Mini.

Strangely this Boxer engine's dipstick is ok, it's flexible but with a yellow plastic tip which makes the reading pretty straightforward.

It seems there are quite a few detail differences between Fiat and Peugeot/Citroen variants :-S

Picture is a proper dipstick!

Jeremy

1018538954_ProperDipstick.jpg.132c3a2119da1ed6362d28e50c0f9bdd.jpg

Archived