Passenger door

Jona

Hi everybody

I have a 2017 Peugeot boxer, when I took the battery to charge I locked the van with the key but when I tried the passenger door it wasn’t locked so I had to leave open all night, when I put the battery back I locked with the key and this time the passenger door locked, as anybody come across this and if so what was the solution.

Thanks Jona. :-(

The procedure was covered here in 2010

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/fiat-ducato-door-locks/18382/

Besides the link rayc has provided, there’s this YouTube video relating to a USA Ram “Promaster” vehicle (Mexico-made Ducato clone) that advises how to manually lock a panel-van’s side sliding door.

The Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook helpfully says

"If a power supply is not present (blown fuse, battery disconnected, etc.) it is, however, possible to lock the doors manually.”

But - as far as I’m aware - how to do this is NOT explained in Ducato handbooks. :-(

(I’ve looked at a Peugeot handbook for a 2017 Boxer, but could find nothing in it about the potential to manually lock the doors, let alone how this might be accomplished.)

On 2017 DUCATO you have to use the ignition key through a hole on the inside of the door not use a screwdriiver in the hole shown. I had the locking problem and the dealer had great delight in showing me, the ignition key needs to be put fully into a hole and turned

The first link (dated 2010) I provided in my last posting refers to using the Ducato’s ignition key to manually lock the cab passenger door. I don’t know where the advice originated from, but it also appears on a 2014 Finnish caravan/motorhome forum in response to an enquiry about a 2012 Ducato.

- Open the passenger cab door and locate the access hole directly above the latch mechanism. Using the ignition key, insert the metal key’s length into the hole at a downwards angle. Within the access hole (not visible) is a small plastic hook and the objective is to slot the key underneath the hook.

- Using the key, lift the plastic hook within the access hole to an upward position. A small “click” will be felt. Close the passenger door as normal. The door should then be locked and can only be opened from the inside using the interior handle.

When I needed to manually lock the cab passenger door of my 2015 Ducato I recall initially following that advice but ending up using a screwdriver. Presumably the rationale of advising that the ignition key be employed is that, if the need arises that the door be manually locked, the person doing the locking will be the vehicle’s driver who will have the ignition key to hand. But I believe any suitable tool (ignition key, screwdriver, lock-pick, etc.) that can reach and lift the ‘hook’ will do the job, and this will be the case for any X250/X290 Boxer/Ducato/Relay vehicle built from mid-2006 onwards.

OK. in which case the cab passenger door lock of your 2017 Ducato must differ from that of my 2015 vehicle.

Having experimented after my last posting above, I found that I could easily manually lock the door using the ignition key. The key would not penetrate fully into the door and, rather than turning the key, the locking procedure involved moving the key-fob downwards so that the other end of the key moved upwards. There was a clearly audible ‘click’ and after the door was shut, the interior handle was needed to open it.

(It has to be said that inserting the key fully into the hole in the door and turning the key is more logical and instinctive - I’m just surprised that a) Fiat has bothered to change a method that has been in use since 2006 and b) that Fiat would be logical...)

colin - 2021-02-17 3:59 PM

Well I'm 'glad' to have remote locking, even better would be keyless like my car.

As for locking the keys inside, how do you think you would do that, and if possible, how would it be different than a keyed vehicle?

Because you need the keys to lock the door from the outside.

By locking the front doors then exit by the habitation door which is normal muscle memory, trip the lock because the battery is out for charging. then put your keys on the counter because you forgot the dogs lead or something, then leave the van and shut the habitation door...now where did i put that spare key? in the van safe perhaps or the miles away at home...bugger >:-)

Omitting the keyhole from a vehicle’s passenger door has become the norm since fitting remote central-locking became standard practice. (My 2009 Skoda car has no keyhole on the passenger door.)

The problem comes when the vehicle owner wishes to lock the passenger door manually and there’s no information in the vehicle’s handbook on how to do this. There’s no guidance in my 2015 Ducato’s Owner Handbook (nor, presumably, in the Boxer handbook either). Conversely, Ford does explain the procedure in the Transit Mk 8 handbook (attachment below) and this matches the method darcywick described above when needeing to manually lock his 2017 Ducato’s passenger door.

This 2009 posting from the Honest John forum may amuse

We weren't going to use our 2006 Nissan Note car today and it's been standing since Friday. Needing to get something out, I confidently pinged the key at it...nowt happened. few more pings and I went and got the other key. Nothing again ! ' Car battery flat ' thought I....first frost. Not to worry, I'll open it manually and junp start it......think again!

No keyholes. Car down drive at back of house, in 'park ' and handbrake on ! Rang main dealer, spoke to mechanic. ' There's an emergency keyhole under the trim by the passenger lock ' Great !

Car nearside 4 inches from 6ft fence.....opened it but couldn't get in.

Ended up removing the fence panel from neighbour's side. Opened the bonnet, put her on charge and went and got another battery....original only 3 yrs old. What a kerfuffle !

In fact, I vaguely remember an elderly neighbour who owned a Nissan Micra being similarly caught out and the local Nissan dealer sending someone round to open the car.

349641837_transitlocking.png.3459acb6211d344761178cdc188eba03.png

colin - 2021-02-17 4:14 PM

Well you can't do that on my van, the only way to lock the van when outside is by using remote, or using the key in outside lock.

I believe your Globecar 636SB is 2011 vintage.

Your vehicle clearly has central locking, so I would have thought it would also have the ability to manually lock the passenger door using the method described in my posting of 12 February 2021 5:25 PM above.

Only the driver’s door when closed can be locked with the ignition key (as it’s the driver’s door that has the keyhole) and the passenger door when closed cannot be locked using the ignition key (as that door has no keyhole). But if your Globecar’s passenger is open so that the ‘access hole’ can be reached, it should be practicable to trigger the locking mechanism through that hole. Then, when that door is slammed shut, it can only be opened from inside (or by using the remote).

Plainly it would be possible to lock oneself out by using the ignition key to lock the driver’s door, then manually triggering the passenger door lock, then placing/dropping the keys in the cab, then slamming the passenger door, but that would be a fairly complex sequence.

(The doors of my Rapido’s gas-locker and rear garage have key-operated locks of the type shown on the attached photo. These are locked then ’slammed’ shut and I once managed to lock the Rapido’s keys inside the garage. Fortunately this was at home and the spare keys were in the house.)

lock.jpg.44cdb910bbfc70ca6c4c60812414ca97.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2021-02-17 5:52 PM

colin - 2021-02-17 4:14 PM

Well you can't do that on my van, the only way to lock the van when outside is by using remote, or using the key in outside lock.

I believe your Globecar 636SB is 2011 vintage.

Your vehicle clearly has central locking, so I would have thought it would also have the ability to manually lock the passenger door using the method described in my posting of 12 February 2021 5:25 PM above.

Only the driver’s door when closed can be locked with the ignition key (as it’s the driver’s door that has the keyhole) and the passenger door when closed cannot be locked using the ignition key (as that door has no keyhole). But if your Globecar’s passenger is open so that the ‘access hole’ can be reached, it should be practicable to trigger the locking mechanism through that hole. Then, when that door is slammed shut, it can only be opened from inside (or by using the remote).

Plainly it would be possible to lock oneself out by using the ignition key to lock the driver’s door, then manually triggering the passenger door lock, then placing/dropping the keys in the cab, then slamming the passenger door, but that would be a fairly complex sequence.

(The doors of my Rapido’s gas-locker and rear garage have key-operated locks of the type shown on the attached photo. These are locked then ’slammed’ shut and I once managed to lock the Rapido’s keys inside the garage. Fortunately this was at home and the spare keys were in the house.)

Well I stand corrected, if I try hard enough I could lock myself out. :D

Archived