Peugeot Brake Pipe Recall

niktam

I bought my MH in 2019 and took it to a Peugeot dealers in late 2019 for a service/MOT as it had only had oil changes up until then.. It's just gone in for a once over then an MOT as that expires this week. I got a call to inform me that the brake pipes to both sides at the front were damaged and that both sides needed to be renewed at just shy of £400, I couldn't remember hitting anything but promised photos.

I got a call today to inform me that the brake pipes are all to be renewed under a recall.

Van registered in March 2017 build data is November 2016 so I guess the chassis was built in the Summer of 2016?

I've now checked and found that Boxer 3's built from Summer 2016 to 2019 have this recall. I therefore assume I was the only one that didn't know about this as clearly the other dealer for the service in 2019 didn't know either.

(Title edited for clarity - Keithl)

Vehicle safety recalls can be checked via this website

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

The Boxer brake-pipe recall details are shown here (for a 2016 vehicle)

https://www.check-vehicle-recalls.service.gov.uk/recall-type/vehicle/make/PEUGEOT/model/BOXER%20III/year/2017/recalls

(The date of the recal was 8 November 2019, so the recall might not have been known to the Peugeot dealership that carried out the service in “late 2019”.)

Finer details of the recall are

PEUGEOT,BOXER III,

THE BRAKE PIPE FIXINGS MAY NOT CONFORM TO SPECIFICATION,

Action: Checking and repairing these fixings and replacing any damaged pipes as necessary.

VIN Number: VF3******12H59631 to VF3******12H26394

Build date: 05/07/2016 to 17/06/2019

Yes, my Boxer is due the same brake fix, but I can't find a dealer that will do it unless I leave it with them for two days. Nearest dealer that can fit it in their workshop is 40 miles away and they just say leave it with us and we'll call you when it's done. Best I can get them to offer is drop it in and 08.00 and it SHOULD be done by the evening. Not overly helpful?

ColinM50 - 2021-03-02 7:14 PM

Yes, my Boxer is due the same brake fix, but I can't find a dealer that will do it unless I leave it with them for two days. Nearest dealer that can fit it in their workshop is 40 miles away and they just say leave it with us and we'll call you when it's done. Best I can get them to offer is drop it in and 08.00 and it SHOULD be done by the evening. Not overly helpful?

If it is the same as the recall on my Fiat it took all of 30 seconds to inspect it. You can do it yourself if you are worried it is very easy to do . Of course you will need it being inspected by Peugeot to clear it from the recall list but that can be at your leisure in months to come. My dealer did the check on the forecourt no need to get it in the workshop or on a lift.

https://www.facebook.com/motorhomeholidayco/videos/840583719757912

I’ve attached below details of the Peugeot Boxer and Fiat Ducato brake system-related recall notices.

Although the wording of the two recall notices differs, it’s quite likely that both cover the same potential fault.

When I spoke to a Fiat Professional agent about this issue I asked how many Ducatos they had dealt with under the recall and how many of these they had found to have the brake-line retaining clip not fixed correctly. The answer was “Lots” and “Just a couple”. And, in the latter cases, none of the brake pipes had been damaged.

The difficulty for a Fiat/Peugeot dealership (particularly at the moment) is that an under-recall inspection MIGHT reveal that the brake pipes had beeen damaged and would need to be replaced, and this would take time. So insisting that Colin leave his motorhome with the dealer for one or two days might seem unhelpful, but - given the nature of the recall - it is understandable.

1384618542_PeugeotBoxerbrake-piperecall.png.31d3c56a1c7985fa4b808a9e7d647eb6.png

1359188174_FiatDucatobrake-piperecall.png.ce53bea1282e1fd7dee91f70307aa2f4.png

ColinM50 - 2021-03-02 7:14 PM

Colin,

The issue is not the '30 seconds' to do the inspection but if they then find the brake pipes are damaged they are not allowed to let the vehicle leave until it has been fixed. So they have to leave sufficient time in their diary to replace the pipes if required, but not leave themselves without work if it does not. It's a juggling act for the dealership!

Imagine the scenario, they say it will 'only take 30 seconds' and to pop in. They then find damaged pipes and say you cannot take it away. Now what do you do? Walk 40 miles home or...

Keith.

Then the owner could inspect it themselves, it is very easy to do. If there is no problem then have it inspected by Peugeot at the owners convenience. If there is a problem then the owner would be able to book it in with the garage at the earliest date for their inspection / rectification.

If it were me I would want to look for myself before I drove it the 40 miles to the garage for inspection or anywhere else for that matter with a potential problem that could be so serious that the garage may apparently prohibit it being on the road.

Keithl - 2021-03-03 10:11 AM

The issue is not the '30 seconds' to do the inspection but if they then find the brake pipes are damaged they are not allowed to let the vehicle leave until it has been fixed. So they have to leave sufficient time in their diary to replace the pipes if required, but not leave themselves without work if it does not. It's a juggling act for the dealership!

Imagine the scenario, they say it will 'only take 30 seconds' and to pop in. They then find damaged pipes and say you cannot take it away. Now what do you do? Walk 40 miles home or...

Keith.

Spot on they would not let me take the MH away and it will take a week as they can only get one leg of the new brake pipes at the moment. Usual problem of not wanting to stock parts that they have to pay for to sit in the parts department!

rayc - 2021-03-03 10:34 AM

Then the owner could inspect it themselves, it is very easy to do. If there is no problem then have it inspected by Peugeot at the owners convenience.

But would you know what you were looking at? condition of brake pipes you might, but it sounds like the securing system is at fault, could you identify that? if it fails and your on a trip, allowing the brake hose to rub against suspension components. Which could cause the hose to fail quickly and potentially fatally for the MH.

it is a SAFETY RECALL why take chances just for convenience......

This 2020 MHFun thread related to this issue (where Fiat Ducatos are concerned).

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fiat-recall-for-pipe-clips.213324/

I’ve copied below one of the photos that shows the type of clip that needs to be checked.

Apparently there are THREE of these clips and they hold the metal brake-pipes tightly against the wall of the engine compartmemt’s rear bulkhead.

It’s worth noting that (on another forum) wrong advice was given about which clips needed checking and - although the (lfollow-up) advice by “Lanerboy” in the MHFun thread is almost certainly correct, it’s up to the motorhome owner to decide whether to DIY-check or leave the matter to a Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot agent.

clips.jpg.639a594f0c7900cdbd3bd34bea8ab9fe.jpg

rajohno - 2021-03-03 1:05 PM

Then the owner could inspect it themselves, it is very easy to do. If there is no problem then have it inspected by Peugeot at the owners convenience.

But would you know what you were looking at? condition of brake pipes you might, but it sounds like the securing system is at fault, could you identify that? if it fails and your on a trip, allowing the brake hose to rub against suspension components. Which could cause the hose to fail quickly and potentially fatally for the MH.

I assume you are asking me personally? If so yes I would. It is clearly shown in the video I linked to. It is just a matter of following the two brake pipes from the master cylinder, the fixing system is fairly simple to check. By doing that the OP could decide his best course of action in the circumstances. If it is that urgent that the garage could decide that the vehicle was dangerous and unroadworthy then it would be prudent to have a look prior to driving 40 miles.

rayc - 2021-03-03 2:24 PM

rajohno - 2021-03-03 1:05 PM

I assume you are asking me personally? If so yes I would. It is clearly shown in the video I linked to. It is just a matter of following the two brake pipes from the master cylinder, the fixing system is fairly simple to check. By doing that the OP could decide his best course of action in the circumstances. If it is that urgent that the garage could decide that the vehicle was dangerous and unroadworthy then it would be prudent to have a look prior to driving 40 miles.

sorry, not aimed directly at your good self,

I use 'you' in the everybody term, some have more knowledge than others. I love the 'risk of fire' statement though...more likely the result would be a risk of boiling brake fluid and loss of braking, which isn't pleasant when heading down a steep hill or mountain pass, which happened to my vehicle many years ago, saved by the mechanical handbrake,...

Archived