Posting photos

Barcobird

Hi

From memory you will need to reduce the size of the photo using something like Simple resize app, then take a photo of it on the IPad. Then as said after writing post tick add photos after posting and should ask where photo is stored and then select the resized photo, under 100 kb or mb not sure and submit..

Caddies104 - 2017-01-19 10:31 PM

Hi

From memory you will need to reduce the size of the photo using something like Simple resize app, then take a photo of it on the IPad. Then as said after writing post tick add photos after posting and should ask where photo is stored and then select the resized photo, under 100 kb or mb not sure and submit..

The pictures only 91kb

Barcobird - 2017-01-19 11:37 PM

colin - 2017-01-19 11:20 PM

Well that seems to have worked from my Windows Phone which is basically a 6" tablet.

Maybe it's the apple syndrome again, I will try on a Windows computer tomorrow ;-)

It’s not the “Apple Syndrome”, it’s because the file you posted had a .jpeg’ extension (in your case “image.jpeg”)

Files with a .jpeg extension will attach OK to a posting, but they will only become visible if the file-name is clicked on.

What you need to do is change the .jpeg extension to .jpg and the photo will show up immediately on the posting.

Note the change from .jpeg to .jpg on the attached file

image.jpg.f02b07ce6f9e01879a2ad5f23f432c4c.jpg

Keithl - 2017-01-20 9:28 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2017-01-20 9:15 AM

What you need to do is change the .jpeg extension to .jpg and the photo will show up immediately on the posting.

Derek,

How do you change jpeg to jpg? This has always got me stumped!

Keith.

I can’t really help with this as I use an iMac running OS X that has the in-built capability to alter file-names and file-extensions very simply, and also play about with image sizing.

This Wikipedia “JPEG” entry indicates that JPEG files may have a .jpeg or .jpg extension

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

Historically operating systems restricted file-extensions to a maximum of 3 characters (hence the use then of .jpg) That’s not the case with more modern operating systems, so .jpeg is permissible and has become the norm. This might explain why the elderly software driving this forum causes an image file with a .jpg extension to display immediately when attached to a posting, whereas the .jpeg file will attach OK but not display.

I note that there’s on-line stuff about converting .jpeg files to .jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=convert+jpeg+to+jpg

but as I can do it easily with my iMac I’ve never looked into it.

The native iPhone camera (and many other camera apps) saves photos in a compressed JPG format. JPG stands for “Joint Photographic Experts Group” and is the standard format for mobile cameras as well as most point-and-shoot cameras.

What do we mean by “compressed”? Compression is used to reduce the file size of a photo while retaining as much detail as possible. In most cases, any loss of detail is minor and only noticeable to the naked eye when viewing a very large enlargement. For most purposes, this file type works great for mobile cameras as it takes up little space and is easily transferable via the internet due to its relatively small file size.

So maybe we are back to a size issue!

Barcobird

What you’ve said is explained in more detail in the Wikipedia link I provided in my posting of 20 January 2017 11:57 AM above.

A JPEG file can have a .jpg or a .jpeg extension - the two extensions are synonymous except the .jpg extension was used when the extension-length was restricted to 3 characters (a DOS limitation that carried over into earlier versions of Windows).

The reason for JPEG files not displaying on this forum immediately after being successfully attached to a posting is not related to the file’s size. The cause lies in the forums being based on software that probably wasn’t new in 2004 when the O&AL forums were created. The software ‘recognises’ .jpg files and fails to recognise .jpeg files.

This is easily shown by the the two files I have attached that are both based on the same .jpg file originally. I fiddled about with both regarding size, colour, orientation, etc, but the reason one displays on this posting but the other needs to be ‘clicked’ on to view it is simply because the former has a .jpg extension, but I changed that to .jpeg for the latter file (mug2.jpeg).

The forum’s jpg/jpeg behaviour has come up in the past - example here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Dash-cam-hard-wiring/41838/

mug.jpg.ba8a313118c2de099987fd5e3258c95f.jpg

mug2.jpeg.d162e4086bb859c1587cddb09ced13cc.jpeg

Derek,

Keith.

...using Windows, simply renaming the file works fine. (right click the filename, change the file extension from .jpeg to .jpg - you will get a warning that can be ignored).

Robinhood - 2017-01-22 3:13 PM

Derek,

Keith.

...using Windows, simply renaming the file works fine. (right click the filename, change the file extension from .jpeg to .jpg - you will get a warning that can be ignored).

Doesn't work in Windows 7, that was the first thing I tried :-(

Keith.

Keithl - 2017-01-22 4:37 PM

RH,

How do you 'see' the file extension in Windows to change it?

I use Windows Explorer and cannot see the extension. If I add .jpg to a file name it just renames it without changing the extension.

Keith.

The folder view needs to be set such that it doesn't hide extensions for known filetypes (which, I suspect, is the default).

On the menu bar for the folder, "Organize", then "Folder and Search options", then "View", then untick the "hide extensions for known filetypes" box.

Then, when you right click a filename, you are able to change the extension when editing.

Robinhood - 2017-01-22 4:47 PM

The folder view needs to be set such that it doesn't hide extensions for known filetypes (which, I suspect, is the default).

On the menu bar for the folder, "Organize", then "Folder and Search options", then "View", then untick the "hide extensions for known filetypes" box.

Then, when you right click a filename, you are able to change the extension when editing.

Fantastic! Thank you RH!

I knew there had to be a way but I just couldn't find it.

Thank you :-)

Keith.

Archived