Removing batteries

Pete-B

Having recently purchased a new AutoSleeper on a Peugeot chassis which is now in storage for the winter period I'm considering removing the batteries and storing them at home.

When I had the Bessacarr on the Fiat chassis I wouldn't even attempt trying to move the engine battery it would have been so difficult. Not having looked at this before I took it to the storage I just wondered if anyone knows how difficult it would be on the new Peugeot.

Thanks for any help.

Two points.

The battery is heavy and you do need to be quite strong to remove it (best to have the passenger door wide open to give yourself some room)

You do not say which model of Auto-Sleeper you have bought, but the majority of the pvc models have the leisure battery under the driver's seat, To remove this battery, the seat must be removed first (held by 6 Torx 40 bolts).

spospe - 2020-11-05 5:44 PM

Two points.

The battery is heavy and you do need to be quite strong to remove it (best to have the passenger door wide open to give yourself some room)

You do not say which model of Auto-Sleeper you have bought, but the majority of the pvc models have the leisure battery under the driver's seat, To remove this battery, the seat must be removed first (held by 6 Torx 40 bolts).

It's a Warwick XL van conversion.

This June 2020 forum thread discussed removing the starter-battery of a Peugeot Boxer (2013-vintage I think)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Battery-Removal/55329/

There is a need for care when disconnecting the starter-battery of some modern vehicles as touched on in this other June 2020 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Vehicle-Battery/55275/

(Hopefully, there will be guidance on battery replacement in Pete’s Peugeot Boxer handbook and whether any special procedure should be follows.)

The 2018 Auto-Sleepers handbook for the Warwick XL model includes the information on the image below.

1473379191_Warwickleisurebattery.png.8e78ec93cd0f3bd602f5a03c51d0cf8d.png

Derek Uzzell - 2020-11-05 6:36 PM

This June 2020 forum thread discussed removing the starter-battery of a Peugeot Boxer (2013-vintage I think)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Battery-Removal/55329/

There is a need for care when disconnecting the starter-battery of some modern vehicles as touched on in this other June 2020 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Vehicle-Battery/55275/

(Hopefully, there will be guidance on battery replacement in Pete’s Peugeot Boxer handbook and whether any special procedure should be follows.)

The 2018 Auto-Sleepers handbook for the Warwick XL model includes the information on the image below.

Thanks for that Derek.

If you disconnect the starter battery and leave the van with no battery present over winter, I think you may have a few unpleasant surprises when you re-install the battery in spring.

If the radio is an oem version (and, depending on how wired, even an after market radio) its memories will have been erased and it may demand a "radio code" be entered before it can be used, so check on this.

If an alarm is fitted it will probably go off when the battery is disconnected and may continue doing so until the battery is re-installed (and probably a security code entered) or its internal battery is exhausted, so check on this.

All the computer memories in the van may be wiped in the absence of the battery, so you may experience strange behaviour from remote locking, possibly the immobiliser, starting, and driving.

Usually, when batteries are changed, a standby 12V power supple is connected (often through the dashboard cigarette lighter) to maintain all these memories until the new battery is connected. So, I would definitely take advice before removing the starter battery for any length of time. These vehicles are really a computer network with wheels and an engine!

Your habitation battery should not have any electronics permanently connected in the above way, except, possibly, a feed to the radio where the usual feed from the starter battery is subject to a time limited supply.

Both batteries will be subject to self-discharge in storage, so will need periodic re-charging to avoid damage from being allowed to become flat.

FWIW, in my view it would be preferable to take the van out of storage monthly and drive it for an hour or more before returning it. The alternator can then re-charge the batteries and all the electronics memories will be maintained. Alternatively (and probably better, but less likely to be on offer), see if there is any chance of a power hook up in the storage facility that could be used via a time switch, to bring on the 230V power for about 24 hours once every month.

Don't leave anything edible in the van, mice are very persistent! :-)

Perhaps one of the other forum members can confirm or correct me but do these Sevel vans not have some weird, complicated procedure to follow to disconnect the starter battery?

From memory it goes something like wait ten minutes with both drivers door closed and ignition off before disconnecting battery negative, and then before reconnecting the drivers door must be closed and ignition key removed.

Keith.

This May 2020 thread

(that I provided a link to in my posting of 5 November 2020 6:36 PM above) related to changing the starter-battery of a 2014 Fiat Ducato and included the following advice from forum-member Mikefitz

Peter said,

' is it easy to change or is there something I need to watch out for.'

Well yes there is, hidden away in the handbook it states that the battery must only be disconnected two minutes after the doors are closed with the ignition off. It should add that if the ignition has been on, you need to wait 10 minutes. The problem is that it takes time after the doors are closed or the ignition turned off for all the computers to shut down correctly. If the shutdown process is interrupted then there may be problems, usually its the air bag computer that fails.

After the waiting time, from inside the van, remove the quick release negative terminal. The doors may now be opened and the rest of the process completed.

When replacing the battery complete all the installation except the negative terminal. From inside the van with the doors closed reconnect the negative.

Mike

In fact, I now see that the most recent (September 2019 onwards) Peugeot Boxer on-line English-language handbook DOES include advice on changing the starter-battery and this guidance can be viewed via the “Battery” entry in the handbook’s Alphabetical index. The handbook can be reached through this webpage

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/APddb/

For what it’s worth, current Boxers seemingly have as standard a “BATTERY STANDBY SYSTEM” (initiated via a button on the ignition switch) for when the vehicle is to be out of use for an extended period of time.

Thanks for all the replies and sound advice, much appreciated.

I think I will now just remove the leisure battery and store at home and then the 80w solar panel should be capable of keeping the engine battery topped up.I guess?

Archived