SOG - No chemicals needed ?

7839278_7

Hi Stewart,

I have had one fitted on the last two vans (over ten years of use) I had it fitted due to having mobility problems which means I can empty it every day while it is lite to carry.

There is no smell in the van even when it is in use best bit there is no smell of chemicals.

It can be a bit ripe when you empty it, but not every time (guess you are what you eat lol.

You will get some people say it is anti social to those who camp next to you as it expels any smell through a charcoal filter? but all I can say is, i have been outside when my wife has been using it and haven't noticed any smell in all the years that we have used it.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Stewart

Over the years there has been plenty of forum discussions about the SOG system. These are just a few recent ones

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/loo/47739/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/SOG-II-Type-D-installation/47233/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Thetford-c400-toilet-vent/47066/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Thetford-C403L-toilet-Installing-SOG-system-/41205/

I’ve known people use their motothome’s cassette-toilet just for weeing and who then empty the casette soon afterwards - in such cases it’s reasonable to not use toilet chemicals at all.

Toilet chemicals mask the smell of waste in the cassette when the toilet is in use, when the ‘shutter’ at the base of the toilet-bowl is open and the smell will waft its way upwards into the motorhome’s toilet compartment. The chemicals also assist in disintegrating solid waste in the cassette.

A SOG system sucks air from within the toilet-bowl when the toilet is in use, preventing smells entering the toilet compartment. That’s the primary benefit of the system as far as I’m concerned as, although sucking air through the cassette may increase the rate of breakdown of solid waste, it won’t be as effective in that respect as using toilet chemicals.

I fitted a SOG system to my last motorhome shortly after I purchased in 2005, and I have also fitted a SOG system to my present Rapido. I have never used toilet chemicals with those SOG systems.

Pete has said that he hasn’t noticed any smell from the SOG exterior filter when his wife uses the toilet, but I can certainly detect a ‘whiff’ when my wife uses ours. Human waste is pretty smelly (unless one is a Vegan apparently!) and I’ve always maintained that it is unrealistic to expect the small SOG door-mounted filter to 100%-stop the odour from finding its way outside the motorhome. I don’t find the smell of the ‘tainted’ air emerging from the filter eye-wateringly/throat-gaggingly offensive, but I can certainly notice its presence. There is a SOG system (SOG II) with a larger filter and designed to exhaust beneath the motorhome’s floor the air from the cassette. If it’s practicable to fit a SOG II system, that’s the one to choose.

The smell seems to relate to the frequency of emptying, and the nature of use. I have noticed (forcibly! :-)) on a few occasions when following another camper to the disposal point, that their waste reaches about 9 on the Richter smell scale, and has left me gagging from outside! So, if you will restrict use to the liquids only, or empty frequently, it shouldn't be too bad, but otherwise I'd recommend wearing a aqualung while emptying! :-D

Brock - 2017-09-28 5:31 PM

We still used the diluted pink stuff as a spray in the toilet bowl. It is supposed to lubricate the sides. All I know the missus thinks the pink stuff makes the toilet compartment smell fresh.

a good idea, I'll try that. I replace the carbon filter once a year and remove the carbon filter and wash it with the garden hose and let it dry. Seems to help.

We still used the diluted pink stuff as a spray in the toilet bowl.

I asked a Thetford rep about using diluted Aqua Rinse Plus Link to AR Plus in a spray bottle and he advised most strongly NOT TO USE IT that way. He explained that AR Plus contains 'active ingredients', or chemicals to you and I, that are not intended to be airborne and as they cannot guarantee what spray bottle you will use they do not recommend it. He obviously would not comment on other makes as he did not know what active ingredients they used.

He said if we wanted to use a product in the toilet bowl then he would recommend Thetford Aqua Rinse Spray Link to AR Spray as that was formulated to be sprayed and as it is supplied in a spray bottle Thetford could control its spray application.

We switched from AR Plus to AR Spray and must say the difference is really noticeable, the Spray does a far better job, and smells far nicer, than the AR Plus. Also my OH no longer comes out of the small room choking and coughing as she always did after using diluted AR Plus.

I did write to Daniel after a recent 'Top Tip' in MMM recommended using diluted pink solution but as my information was only relevant to Thetford he declined to publish any follow up!

Keith.

Thanks all for your replies, the forum is proving very useful, I diagnosed and fixed my fridge 12v problem using old threads, didn't join one of the big clubs (I am using the wait and see principle) and your replies on the SOG unit are helpful.

I was attracted to this (SOG) as a potential saving on chemical costs, so far we have not had any 'issues' with the cassette as is, we empty regularly and I take the point about being considerate to your neighbours and fellow campers at the chemical disposal point.

before starting this post I did put SOG into the forum search box and it said 'no results found' helpfully one of you then attached the previous posts, thanks for that and looks like i need to learn to search a bit more effectively.

Looking forward to a long weekend in the van adjacent to the river Thames from today.

Thanks all

regards

Stewart

:-D :-D

Keithl - 2017-09-28 8:54 PM

I asked a Thetford rep about using diluted Aqua Rinse Plus...

I once discussed with a Thetford rep fitting a SOG system to a C-200 toilet and was told that this would invalidate the warranty. I asked why and was told that drilling holes in the cassette were forbidden. I said that no holes were drilled in the cassette and inquired if the rep was familiar with SOG kits. She said No, but Thetford disliked the fan-ventilation approach. “What about Thetford’s C250/C260 fan-ventilation option?” I asked. “I wasn’t aware there was one”, she said.

Like Brock I occasionally spray diluted Aqua Rinse into the toilet bowl. I don’t how much actual cleaning/lubrication it does, but it smells OK and I have a large bottle of the stuff that must be 12 years old and I can’t think of any other use for it.

I never replaced the SOG carbon filter on my Hobby motorhome during the 9 years I owned the vehicle. I did once wash the filter, but this seemed to make no difference to the (slight) smell that had always emerged from the SOG’s external vent. It is important, with a cassette-locker door-mounted filter, that the fan-motor be mounted as high as practicable on the door and that the cassette not be allowed to become too full. If waste manages to reach and contaminate the filter, the filter will definitely need replacement.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-09-29 9:29 AM

Keithl - 2017-09-28 8:54 PM

I asked a Thetford rep about using diluted Aqua Rinse Plus...

Like Brock I occasionally spray diluted Aqua Rinse into the toilet bowl.

Derek et al,

One way to use up your Aqua Rinse Plus would be to dilute it and then use it in a 'Drizzle' bottle such as some bleach and bathroom cleaners come in, eg Link You would not then be spraying it and allowing it to become airborne., but would be 'pouring' it much like if it where in your flush water.

Keith.

If you have a modern thetford loo properly fitted then its worth considering this instead for a potentially neater fit vs SOG https://www.thetford-europe.com/product/electric-ventilator-c250/

You'll need to check how your throne has been fitted though as some marques do a lazy fit omitting the external through floor vent pipe.

I am a tight arse and was not gonna blow £125 quid on what is basically just a fan and a switch. I DIY'ed my fan vent with a microswitch and fan bought off fleabay for a tenner. The fan prevents the smell rising through the blade hole while enthroned.

Nigel

Installation of a SOG kit for a Thetford C250/C260 toilet involves drilling a hole in the cap that screws on to the end of the emptying spout, and then connecting a detachable ‘exhaust hose' to the cap (photos here)

http://www.soguk.co.uk/product/sog-type-f-kit-for-thetford-c250c260-cassettes/

It’s imperative as part of the installation process to remove from the cassette-locker a lid that covers a small compartment in the locker’s floor. This lid has on its upper surface a protrusion that opens the cassette’s vent-valve (that equalises the pressure inside the cassette) when the cassette is inserted in the locker. Failure to remove the lid will prevent the SOG C250/C260 system from operating correctly.

C250/C260 toilets can have a ‘passive outside vent’ to which can be added a ventilation fan (Pages 29 and 30 of following link)

http://www.thetford.cn/pdf/C260_OEM_IM_0813-V6.pdf

The passive outside vent (that demands a hole through the floor to the outside air) is not essential to the operation of a C250/C260, and (hole in the floor or not) if the cassette-locker has not been hermetically sealed from the motorhome’s interior there’s every chance that toilet odours will enter the motorhome’s living area. In principle, even when a cassette-locker has not been properly isolated from the living area, a SOG kit should prevent smells from entering the motorhome’s interior.

Archived