SOG toilet systems, any good?

BGD

We're toying with the idea of fitting a SOG fan ventilation thingy to our Thetford C200 toilet cassette/door, as we don't use toilet chemicals anymore nowadays.

Are they any good for removing the pong when the "slice" on the cassette is open?

Are they really worth the approx 110 quid that they cost?

Comments/views from SOG owners please................

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q1: Are they any good for removing the pong when the "slice" on the cassette is open?

A1: YES - that's exactly what a SOG system does well.

Q2: Are they really worth the approx 110 quid that they cost?

A2: Difficult to quantify value-for money. I wouldn't want to go back to using toilet chemicals, and I very definitely would want a SOG ventilating system if I were not using toilet chemicals.

Some light reading... http://tinyurl.com/bph35o6

They are non smelly to anyone parked near you. hey m,ust be emptied every day as dangerous bacteia can build up as not killed by use of chemicals.

Would I have one, most certainly not because I cannot empty every day. Friends who have one cannot smell it n the van, I can and is disgusting, just as I cannot smell my chemicals anymore and they can.

Is it worth the cost, no way. Its like people who own dogs, they cannot smell the doggy smell, non dog owners can.

One of the more positive investments I have made, really worth while and absolutely no smells either within when in use or outside, however if you stick your nose right into the vent you will obviously get an smell but then who would do that (?)

No chemicals to carry and worry about and it appalls me that people still use some dated chemicals no doubt along with the old hard paper, but then everybody to their own.

I do not have a problem with then as long as the carbon filter is chaged regularly to absobe smells ( do carbon filters kill germs?) , but too often I have been parked next to one and the smell can be really quite disgusting when the fan is running. I assume that is because the filter is old or indeed missing.

As to the diposal point, if the person in front of you has just emptied a sog with solids you can forget going near it for a while. I really do believe they are very antisocial systems...but I am entitled to my opinion and in 10 years of Motorhoming I avoid parking next to any motorhome on an aire or cramped campsite now which has one of the little sog vents showing. So if you do have one please maintain it properly...I am sure most do but unfortunately the odd owner gives all you sog owners a bad name in my book which is unfortuatate. Its one of these things where people get accustomed to the smell as it slowly gets worse over the months and do not realise it needs a thorough clean out and the carbon filter replaced.

Was on an Aire in France last year ,when a German Concorde van came in ,He emptied the cassette and the smell coming from it was awful. Inquired later to the other Brit on Aire he said that the Concorde had a SOG that had not been emptied for a good few days.What a stink!!!!!

I have never changed the filter although I have cleaned it. I am afraid that it is just like using a public toilet when somebody in the adjacent stall can produce odours that are "different" and you have the option to move. Similarly the odours produced when emptying a cassette are a refection of the user and can be natural or disguised with chemicals.

Dangerous bacteria? well I cannot comment other than I maintain a high standard of personnel hygiene and do not see the SOG as providing a source of danger

I am really impressed by the findings of those who do not have a SOG

We've had our SOG working a C250 cassette now for just over a year.

Absolutely no contest - SOG is fantastic, solid German technology (lol)

Used it in all conditions and for varying lengths of time between emptying.

Simply - no chemicals - no smells anywhere outside/inside.

Easy to connect/disconnect the extract hose.

However I had it fitted because I didn't fancy fitting the microswitch which goes right at the back of the cassette chamber which is a full arm stretch for me as the cassette chamber is inset behind the wheel arch. Great job done by Chelstons in less than 90 minutes.

Go on - treat yourself BGD you will not be dissapointed.

Guest JudgeMental
Thankfully opinion moving on from years ago when SOG first discussed. Strange that some happy to use chemicals, sometimes containing formaldehyde and happy to dump this down a toilet.....also when trap is opened release fumes into the van!lol ignorance is still bliss......

Brambles - 2013-02-11 8:36 PM

I do not have a problem with then as long as the carbon filter is changed regularly to absobe smells ( do carbon filters kill germs?) , but too often I have been parked next to one and the smell can be really quite disgusting when the fan is running. I assume that is because the filter is old or indeed missing...

I don't believe the filter in a SOG's outlet makes a massive difference to the smell. I could detect a strong odour from the outlet immediately after I installed the SOG system in my Hobby and, although I've never changed the filter during the last 7 years, the odour coming from the outlet is no worse now than originally. Obviously, if the filter in the outlet becomes contaminated with solid/liquid matter, it will need replacement. But, if the system is installed correctly to minimise the risk of contamination, it's debatable in my view that regular filter-replacement will be worthwhile.

There's no doubt that the odour from the outlet is unpleasant (Why should it be otherwise?) and I try to remember not to use the toilet with the washroom-window (directly above the SOG outlet) open. I'm well aware that (as has been said in this thread) some people seem unable to detect any odour from a SOG outlet, but I certainly can.

I wouldn't have thought the growth of "dangerous bacteria" was an issue with SOG systems that are not emptied daily. I live in the country and there's s**t from cows, sheep, horses, dogs and cats everywhere and nobody seems to be dying from the Brown Death.

Have had one fitted to my motorhome for the last few years (I use chemicals still as it's a bit fragrant when emptying). It has been trouble-free.

I've fitted many aftermarket kits of all sorts over the years and what I liked about fitting the SOG kit is that it all fitted beautifully and was clearly well developed and well thought out. So I do think it's worth the money - price up all those bits and mouldings yourself and it would soon add up.

The fitting of it was detailed in the June 2010 issue of MMM (p216).

The only thing to bear in mind is that the charcoal filter needs changing on occasion and that it vents the nasty niffs outside. So if your loo is on the awning side this is worth noting!

Is the 'new' thetford filter system on the 250 (cassette with handle/wheels grey/orange) the same as a SOG system (or as good ?) I have one on the new van, but am still using Chemicals (Elsan Blue)

Must admit that I find the Chemical smell quite pleasant, !! certainly better than the 'other' smell. And the Chemical is British Standard approved. But if this Filter/Fan system does the job, and isn't going to cost £100. (you can buy a lot of chemicals with £100). Then I might give it a try. Ray

http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/products/accessories/accessories-for-toilets/electric-ventilator-c250.aspx

I parked next to a van on an Aire with one of these last summer. We had to move it was so vile.

I really dont see the point. Is it an environmental thing as it it cant be a cost saving device at £110. One £10 bottle of Blue stuff lasts me a whole summer. Loo doesnt stink really either. Once its shut its sealed and doesnt smell.

I'm not having a go at people who use them but I really dont get it and to be honest I would be embarressed to have one on an Aire having been next to one and had to move.

I can certainly see the logic in having some form of "extractor" fan/system,to take any smells out of the van but personally,I think I'd still want something to make it smell more pleasant.(..especially for when emptying it (lol) )

As an aside,we switched to using bio-washing liquid a while back(cheapie supermarket own brand stuff for clothes)and it smells far better and is a lot cheaper(quid a litre?)than the "proper" fluids that we've used..

We have,also on occassions used a splosh of pine scented disinfectant(..and I think that's only a couple of quid for 5 litres)..

But as I don't know what it's effects would be,I wouldn't really want to be dumping,large quantities of the stuff into sceptic tank set ups... :-S

Archived