SOG toilet systems, any good?

BGD

lennyhb - 2013-02-13 11:48 AM

pepe63 - 2013-02-13 11:42 AM

But as I don't know what it's effects would be,I wouldn't really want to be dumping,large quantities of the stuff into sceptic tank set ups... :-S

Another advantage of the SOG no restrictions on empting.

Spoken like a true "willder",eh lenny..? ;-)

(lol) (lol)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to me that if you are a site user and can empty the loo daily, or if you are a non chemical of any sort user for whatever reason, SOG may well be worth considering as a pong preventer.

However if you are a nomadic type of wanderer who empties the loo every two to four days or whenever the appropriate opportunity presents itself it might not have any real advantages?

That said maybe there are places you can empty a chemical free loo that you can't empty a blued loo - I don't know?

We get through about 2 x 2 litres of Thetford every year and we generally pay about £24 for two so on that basis it would take several years to recoup but as it is not about money but is about convenience I think on balance we will carry on using the blue stuff.

We tried cheaper chemical alternatives a few years ago but we found that some damaged the rubber seals and as they are quite pricey, not to mention quite inconvenient to replace away from home, we decided for the sake of a few quid to stay with the Thetford.

lennyhb - 2013-02-13 11:45 AM

Barryd999 - 2013-02-13 11:16 AM

I parked next to a van on an Aire with one of these last summer. We had to move it was so vile.

That's because they haven't changed the filter.

Yes but Derek further up the thread said his smelt outside when it was new. Are you saying if I put my chair outside your loo on a hot summers afternoon on an Aire I wouldnt be able to smell your loo when you flush it?

A word of warning to those with the very sensitive hooters, do not use the aires at Equhen Plage. You back on to the sewage works and if you look over the hedge you just see a mass of bubbling effluent. We were fortunate that the wind was blowing in the right direction but even being downstream it was not too bad.

I am afraid I take the "had to move" with a large pinch of salt having parked adjacent to numerous MH with SOGs fitted, but then I may well have been gassed at the same time.

:-D

I thought SOG stands for " Smelly Old Git "?

New filters cost about £9, and there are some that simply remove them.

The smell on a hot Spanish day from a van I was alongside was very bad.

So they can and do smell.

I might get one though, it could stop anyone parking with 10 metres of me with some luck!

H

sshortcircuit - 2013-02-13 12:40 PM

A word of warning to those with the very sensitive hooters, do not use the aires at Equhen Plage. You back on to the sewage works and if you look over the hedge you just see a mass of bubbling effluent. We were fortunate that the wind was blowing in the right direction but even being downstream it was not too bad.

I am afraid I take the "had to move" with a large pinch of salt having parked adjacent to numerous MH with SOGs fitted, but then I may well have been gassed at the same time.

Against my better judgement I once stayed at a CC site only to wake up in the morning to the lovely aroma of the sess pit overflowing.

lennyhb - 2013-02-13 2:53 PM

sshortcircuit - 2013-02-13 12:40 PM

Against my better judgement I once stayed at a CC site only to wake up in the morning to the lovely aroma of the sess pit overflowing.

You have solved the conundrum about the SOG. Because you did not see the cess pit until the morning you did not smell it. Which means that if you see a SOG you will automatically assume it smells (?)

These are truely revolting things. Had one fitted a few years ago but after about a week could stand it no more, kept it in place but used chemicals as well. If you cannot smell them you really need to get your nose tested or something, park well away from any sog outlet, we mostly use sites or aires with plenty of room so am able to do this.

hallii - 2013-02-13 2:35 PM

I thought SOG stands for " Smelly Old Git "?.............

I might get one though, it could stop anyone parking with 10 metres of me with some luck!

H

Nice idea Geoff, that would work for me too.

Failing that this link might be a possibility?

http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/thundertrunk-camping-and-composting-toilet-69482213.htm?from=googleshop_uk&gclid=CL7J0NzSs7UCFYXLtAod4xAAng

regards

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

I see Rupert got out of bed the wrong side (again). have had on last van and present...6.5 years in total. Have never smelt anything except when emptying...

If its a strong smell it is probably a case of far more common waste tank pong.

Only smells I've ever had the van is a slight ammonia outside smell within a couple of inches of outlet , and strong ammonia smell outside several feet away when filter needed changing.

A peey smell inside the van due to calcium deposits in the tank which a good clean cured, chemicals would have masked the smell but you would have still been breathing it plus the chemicals.

Overall far better than chemicals less smelly (unless you are like Henry and love the smell of poisonous chemicals) and can dump waste into septic tanks without problems.

Had mine about 6 years. I never expected it to save me money. Saves hauling chemicals about and gives me a smug feeling of being environmentally friendly. Does it smell? - certainly when you come to empty but in my experience no different to when using chemicals and not regularly emptying the cassette - chemicals only mask the smell for a while. Doesn't smell inside the van when the fan is on. I have replaced the filter.

Does it smell outside when the fan is on? No idea as I don't go sticking my nose up vents.

It was a British invention by a chap who occasionally appeared on Tomorrow's World. He thought the market was domestic properties but it never took off. The Germans realised its potential and put it in motorhomes. It should be a standard fit in my opinion.

Brock - 2013-02-16 9:37 AM

It was a British invention by a chap who occasionally appeared on Tomorrow's World. He thought the market was domestic properties but it never took off. The Germans realised its potential and put it in motorhomes. It should be a standard fit in my opinion.

Germans also have them on domestic loos.

Brock - 2013-02-16 9:37 AM

Had mine about 6 years. I never expected it to save me money. Saves hauling chemicals about and gives me a smug feeling of being environmentally friendly. Does it smell? - certainly when you come to empty but in my experience no different to when using chemicals and not regularly emptying the cassette - chemicals only mask the smell for a while. Doesn't smell inside the van when the fan is on. I have replaced the filter.

Does it smell outside when the fan is on? No idea as I don't go sticking my nose up vents.

Thetford are fitting a similar extractor as standard on the C260 Does it do the same Job ? Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-02-16 11:59 AM

Thetford are fitting a similar extractor as standard on the C260 Does it do the same Job ? Ray

I think a cassette ventilation system is an option on a Thetford C260 (as it was on a C250) rather than being standard. (Anyway, that's what Thetford's advertising says.)

It performs a similar function to the SOG system, but it requires the user to initiate the ventilation process via the toilet's control-panel. It's referred to as "automatic", but I believe this just means that (unless the user switches the fan off manually via the control-panel) the fan will eventually switch itself off. The SOG system's fan automatically switches on when the blade-valve in the toilet-bowl is opened and automatically switches off when the valve is closed.

• 2 weeks later...

Clara, the two topics that will always produce some interesting input on this forum are anything to do with toilets and wildcamping.

That has made me wonder, do wildcampers use SOG systems? Does it matter? I suppose when they empty the loo in the woods the lack of chemicals makes it more e-friendly?

H 8-)

Guest peter
JudgeMental - 2013-03-01 12:41 PM

Jeez Geoff dont you recognise SPAM when you see it!lol :-D

If it is , it's a bit pointless as it's an american site. :D

peter - 2013-03-01 9:55 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-03-01 12:41 PM

Jeez Geoff dont you recognise SPAM when you see it!lol :-D

If it is , it's a bit pointless as it's an american site. :D

It's a peculiar (and little known) fact that people in Atlanta Georgia who have septic tanks are also avid readers of the Out&AboutLive motorhome forums. The reason for this is not easily understood and forum members are invited to suggest why this should be.

(Clarasmith's first forum posting resurrected a 2007 water-tank-cleaning thread on 29 December 2012.)

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all replies.

We've now decided to go ahead and buy, and then I'll fit, a SOG system for our Thetford C200 toilet.

But we'll wait to purchase it until we are up in France again, in mid-April to buy it........as the cheapest UK price I can find is via ebay, and it's 110 squids plus 20 quid to post it to us here in Spain.

Although Narbonne Accessories shops in France sell them for about 140 euros if/when I visit one, they also want 25 euros on top as their minimum parcel postage charge to Spain.

Archived