Scooter Racks & Payload

Gearbox1056

Hi - My wife and I are about to purchase our first MH and are looking at the various options available.

We have been quite successful at narrowing-down our preferred base vehicle as follows:-

New or Fairly new (say 2010 onwards)

French Bed

Parrallel Lounge (We wont be transporting anybody other than ourselves)

No Wet-Rooms

MRW not an issue as we can both drive over 3500Kg's

We have some on our short-list , Auto-Trail Imala 715 or perhaps the Tracker FB if budget allows , possibly even the older Frontier Cherokee (which was the first MH that caught our eye)

Alternatively the Bailey 740 with its Alde heating.

So , no problem with deciding what suits in those departments !

Our problem comes from wanting to carry a small scooter (100-125 Kgs) on the back.

Nobody wants to state that their MH can do so.....

Auto-Trail say "You need to be carefeful" , Swift never replied other than to say they would investigate and get back but they never did (although we have since dropped the 454 from our short-list as it has a wet-room) and Bailey said they would ask Al-Ko to advise but they also have failed to respond and they make the chassis !

We are unwilling to spend £ 40,000+ without knowing if the MH we choose can accommodate the scooter and although I am no chassis engineer , I am reasonably technically minded and am suspicious of the capabilities of our preferred MH's due to their 'Over-Hang' from the rear axle , even though the payloads are sufficient (especially if the chassis is upgraded)

How do we overcome this conundrum ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough

It's a big problem as a scooter rack and scooter puts a huge load on the back end and may well exceed the axle limit as well as the payload limit.

There is one solution though, which puts hardly any weight on the rear and doesn't affect the payload of your motorhome.

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm

There's a You Tube video, one shows the older single wheel model. The latest twin wheel seems to be better.

Gearbox1056 - 2015-03-14 10:43 AM

Hi - My wife and I are about to purchase our first MH and are looking at the various options available.

We have been quite successful at narrowing-down our preferred base vehicle as follows:-

New or Fairly new (say 2010 onwards)

French Bed

Parrallel Lounge (We wont be transporting anybody other than ourselves)

No Wet-Rooms

MRW not an issue as we can both drive over 3500Kg's

We have some on our short-list , Auto-Trail Imala 715 or perhaps the Tracker FB if budget allows , possibly even the older Frontier Cherokee (which was the first MH that caught our eye)

Alternatively the Bailey 740 with its Alde heating.

So , no problem with deciding what suits in those departments !

Our problem comes from wanting to carry a small scooter (100-125 Kgs) on the back.

Nobody wants to state that their MH can do so.....

Auto-Trail say "You need to be carefeful" , Swift never replied other than to say they would investigate and get back but they never did (although we have since dropped the 454 from our short-list as it has a wet-room) and Bailey said they would ask Al-Ko to advise but they also have failed to respond and they make the chassis !

We are unwilling to spend £ 40,000+ without knowing if the MH we choose can accommodate the scooter and although I am no chassis engineer , I am reasonably technically minded and am suspicious of the capabilities of our preferred MH's due to their 'Over-Hang' from the rear axle , even though the payloads are sufficient (especially if the chassis is upgraded)

How do we overcome this conundrum ?

I have carried a scooter on a motorhome rack since 2008 and had no problems despite a lot of negative from some quarters. The first van I carried one on was a 2008 Swift Sundance 230LP, which I was told could not be done, this is a small van with a 3300kg rating, but no problem. However after much weighing and asking various rack producers I had a rack and towbar fitted by Watling engineering, which was used for four years. My current rack, fitted to a long wheel base Alko chassis van is one from Armitage Trailors and is first class. Personally I would ring someone like either of these companies and ask the question, my dealings with both have been straight forward. A quick look under the van you want will give some indication of the practicalities. My Swift had very substantial extenders fitted to the chassis that went right to the back of the van, the current Alko chassis also extends right to the back of the van. Many vans these days the chassis does not do this and stops some way forward of the back. The weight problem is easy to check and both the companies I have mentioned have calculators on their sites but you will need axle weights with van loaded, a problem if it is not yet bought. You will get no answer from the makers although Alko do list a scooter rack. Armitage may well have fitted racks to vans you list just phone and ask.

See, this is a perfect example of what originally attracted me to this forum. A genuine query, and so far 2 very useful and helpful answers.

(Sorry that I can't be of any help myself, except I've seen the easylifter thing in use and it looks great).

It's another "be careful" from me. In addition to the scooter you also have to factor in the weight of the rack and these purpose built racks are very very heavy - maybe up to 60kgs. You need to check the axle weights of your proposed vehicle carefully as well as your overall 3.5kgs limit. I have been advised specifically by Swift not to do carry a scooter as there is no way any weight on the back can meet the manufacturers vertical load limits which from memory are around 75kgs (don't quote me as you must check) ; there was no "be careful" from them and the same advice came from Witter with whom I exchanged e mails. The problem with carrying scooters is that if you exceed your weight limits your vehicle insurance will become void meaning that in an accident you could be liable for the lot.

Many do carry scooters with no problem; but they are taking a hell of a risk. They think because a small engineering firm manufactures a rack which can carry a heavy load means that everything is OK. But it is not. No doubt those who carry scooters on a 3.5 tonne MGW vehicle will come on here and rubbish responsible manufacturers views but that is their prerogative. It's your choice and your risk.

There are a small number of vans that can accommodate a rack but modern vans are getting heavier so they are becoming few and far between.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

You can get an idea of what extra load a scooter and rack will add to the rear axle (and consequently subtract from the front axle) by using the Load Distribution Calculator on the SV Tech website...

http://www.svtech.co.uk/lda/

There is also a video showing how to use the calculator. Put is some typical figures and see what happens.

Best of luck.

Keith.

What a fantastic response , quick and helpful , even the negatives (I am cautious by nature so they are extremely valid)

Thanks to all who have responded (I particularly like the Easylift , not clear from the video but do the wheels on the twin wheel spin 360 ? I am not keen on reversing a 7M+ van plus a trailer ! but equally can see the weight handling benefit of 2 wheels.

At least it gives us a place to start otherwise the alternatives are cycles , electric or otherwise and my wife is not keen !

Guest Had Enough
Gearbox1056 - 2015-03-14 4:32 PM

What a fantastic response , quick and helpful , even the negatives (I am cautious by nature so they are extremely valid)

Thanks to all who have responded (I particularly like the Easylift , not clear from the video but do the wheels on the twin wheel spin 360 ? I am not keen on reversing a 7M+ van plus a trailer ! but equally can see the weight handling benefit of 2 wheels.

At least it gives us a place to start otherwise the alternatives are cycles , electric or otherwise and my wife is not keen !

Yes, they swivel through 360 degrees. I know there was a lot to take in with my three links but it says this in the facts page of the first link.

'Unlike all other trailers, the hydra-trail cannot tip over or jack knife and when reversing the caster wheel rotates through 360 degrees thus allowing the tow vehicle to reverse as normal.'

Guest Had Enough

We're having the same dilemma. We have two electric bikes but the older we get we find ourselves staying on a site for a few days and relaxing, walking and cycling.

Electric bikes are great for short trips out, we've been out today and it was a lovely ride but only about 25 km.

We're looking at a new Honda scooter so that we can leave the 'van on site and explore much farther afield.

Fortunately I have a 'van with a massive payload and a very high rear axle loading as well as rear-wheel drive. I keep my bikes on a Thule rack on a tow bar but if we buy the scooter it will go in my motorhome garage.

A huge garage over a raised bed is one of the advantages of a Continental layout and we'll be able to continue carrying the bikes and also have a 125cc scooter in the garage. I'd rather put the scooter on a Hydra Lift than clutter up my garage but doing that means we couldn't take the bikes as well.

We enjoy the bikes and even though they're electric you still have to pedal and we like the exercise.

Had Enough - 2015-03-14 4:46 PM

Yes, they swivel through 360 degrees. I know there was a lot to take in with my three links but it says this in the facts page of the first link.

'Unlike all other trailers, the hydra-trail cannot tip over or jack knife and when reversing the caster wheel rotates through 360 degrees thus allowing the tow vehicle to reverse as normal.'

Thanks , that's my 'bad' - looks an even better arrangement if we stick with the FB layout and concentrate on the vans we have short-listed.

A further point you may not yet have considered is rear ground clearance. Extending the chassis beyond the rear wall of the vehicle, so as to support a scooter rack, will involve some fairly deep supporting steelwork. The greater the rear overhang, the longer this extension, the deeper the steelwork, and the greater the risk of grounding the rack on abrupt changes of inclination (ferry ramps etc). The ideal, if you go for a rack, will be the shortest practical rear overhang consistent with your needs. It will also reduce the chances of overloading the rear axle.

If the vehicle you select has an AlKo chassis, it would be prudent to look to AlKo for the scooter rack. Alko chassis are deliberately lower that the standard Fiat etc chassis, so provide lower ground clearances. They are also fairly highly engineered, and relatively light. Since they design both chassis and the relevant extensions, plus the scooter rack, there is a much reduced risk of parts of the chassis being subjected to stresses they were not designed to resist. Buying from smaller independants, who will not have access to AlKo's chassis design criteria, seems to me to introduce an unquantifiable, avoidable, risk.

Mike88 - 2015-03-14 11:42 AM

It's another "be careful" from me. In addition to the scooter you also have to factor in the weight of the rack and these purpose built racks are very very heavy - maybe up to 60kgs. You need to check the axle weights of your proposed vehicle carefully as well as your overall 3.5kgs limit. I have been advised specifically by Swift not to do carry a scooter as there is no way any weight on the back can meet the manufacturers vertical load limits which from memory are around 75kgs (don't quote me as you must check) ; there was no "be careful" from them and the same advice came from Witter with whom I exchanged e mails. The problem with carrying scooters is that if you exceed your weight limits your vehicle insurance will become void meaning that in an accident you could be liable for the lot.

Many do carry scooters with no problem; but they are taking a hell of a risk. They think because a small engineering firm manufactures a rack which can carry a heavy load means that everything is OK. But it is not. No doubt those who carry scooters on a 3.5 tonne MGW vehicle will come on here and rubbish responsible manufacturers views but that is their prerogative. It's your choice and your risk.

There are a small number of vans that can accommodate a rack but modern vans are getting heavier so they are becoming few and far between.

This is nonsense, you were advised not to carry one on a panel van, which you know very well, my Swift coach built was able to carry a scooter that weighed 110kg, no problem.

rupert123 - 2015-03-14 10:09 PM

This is nonsense, you were advised not to carry one on a panel van, which you know very well, my Swift coach built was able to carry a scooter that weighed 110kg, no problem.

Thank you Rupert. We have been down this route before. So you think being careful, checking axle weights, vertical load and the insurance implications are nonsensical. I don't know the size or weight of your coachbuilt but both of the motorhomes in which the OP has an interest are around 21ft and weights need to be considered carefully as I indicated. I also indicated that some motorhomes are able to carry a rack but the underlying point is that you need to be careful. But you have your views and I have mine.

Mike88 - 2015-03-15 8:53 AM

rupert123 - 2015-03-14 10:09 PM

Thank you Rupert. We have been down this route before. So you think being careful, checking axle weights, vertical load and the insurance implications are nonsensical. I don't know the size or weight of your coachbuilt but both of the motorhomes in which the OP has an interest are around 21ft and weights need to be considered carefully as I indicated. I also indicated that some motorhomes are able to carry a rack but the underlying point is that you need to be careful. But you have your views and I have mine.

I did not make myself clear. You said 'I have been advised by Swift not to carry a scooter', you make no mention of the advice being applied to a small panel van. The poster made no mention of panel vans and your post implies Swift were saying this about all vans, this was the nonsense bit. So is your 'hell of a risk bit', I know some have a nil aversion to risk but were is the risk here? I said in my first post about working out the weights but the poster seems well aware of this. If you work the weights out, get a reputable firm to sort out the rack I see no more risk than bolting a cycle rack to the rear wall of a motorhome. Where is the 'responsible manufacturers view', on this you quote, Swift would not give me one when I asked and the one they gave you was actually from Fiat and related to a panel van. My original Swift was 18.6 ft long with a rear axle weight of 2000kg, which I managed with ease, despite being advised it was not possible. I in fact got the van uprated to 3500kg and the rear axle to 2100kg to be safe but not really required. Good luck to the original poster and do it, it will transform your motorhome experience

Rupert ................."You did not make yourself clear" - on that we agree.

The original poster wrote that he had been in contact with Swift and they had not replied. I pointed out that I had been in touch with Swift and they had provided written advice but it seems the original poster is no longer interested in a Swift but wants an Autotrail. As you may - or probably may not - know Autotrail also offer Witter towbars as an optional extra and it is a fair assumption that the original poster knew this. I pointed out that I had also been in touch with Witter and received specific advice from them that their towbars only support manufacturers vertical load limits which can be found in the vehicle handbook. They also provided additional advice about the legal requirements to keep to a certain weight ratio (now forgotten) between the front and rear axles.

Your panel van point is arguably irrelevant as the original poster's post mentioned the absence of a reply from Swift and he could easily have picked up from that that Swift do reply. If interested he could still contact them. However, the difference between you and I is that you prefer to rely on advice from an engineering firm. That's fine but I have received advice from an engineering firm specialising in towbars and racks to ignore vertical load limits which some might say is irresponsible.

It should also be borne in mind that the overhang on Autotrail Imala and Tracker models is considerable so additional steel could well increase the risk of grounding which is a particular problem for me and some others.

Irrespective of the above, we both agree is that weight limits need to be checked and from then on it is up to the original poster to determine whether to rely on advice from an engineering firm or manufacturers. As I said in my original post it's another "be careful from me".

We have carried a scooter for many years and it's fantastic so go for it. You can go into the centre of most cities towns and villages throughout Europe without hastle. We originally carried on a rack of a 6 metre home with ramp but now have a seven metre with garage and find much better. Our scooter is a Honda ANF 125, at about 106 kgs. We have seen some amazing racks that can carry heavier bikes the best being a towed carrier with two tow hooks, one either side and 360 Deg wheels, so no reversing problems, however it was £3500. One word of advice if carrying on a rear rack, some countries may pull you up for it, Portugal in particular. Last year we did most of Italy on a scooter and it was terrific.

Have fun!

flightcom - 2015-03-15 7:12 PM

We have carried a scooter for many years and it's fantastic so go for it. You can go into the centre of most cities towns and villages throughout Europe without hastle. We originally carried on a rack of a 6 metre home with ramp but now have a seven metre with garage and find much better. Our scooter is a Honda ANF 125, at about 106 kgs. We have seen some amazing racks that can carry heavier bikes the best being a towed carrier with two tow hooks, one either side and 360 Deg wheels, so no reversing problems, however it was £3500. One word of advice if carrying on a rear rack, some countries may pull you up for it, Portugal in particular. Last year we did most of Italy on a scooter and it was terrific.

Have fun!

I'm considering a scooter for the reasons you mention. I just worry about getting it into the garage. How easy is it pushing it up a ramp? Do you need to use the engine or can you do it without?

I have a Sachs MadAss motorbike ~ 105 kilos which lives in the garage. I find it very easy to push it up backwards with your hands on the handlebars - that way you have total control with your hand on the front brake.

Means you can do it in stages and are "square-on" to your push so making it very stable. Same for getting it out - come down in stages, not a rush!

I carry a BSA Bantam 175cc 100 kg motorbike on a rack mounted off the tow-bar it does have a four pin fixing which gives a more stable and of course stronger, the tow-bar is attached to the Alko maxi chassis.

Its easy to push the bike up the ramp and secure.

I have travelled many miles without a problem.

The ramp that lowers by using a hydraulic bottle jack are very good i have a friend who uses one all over Europe. again with a similar sized bike

I have also seen the 2 wheel 360 degree turning wheeled ramps they can take a much heavier motorcycle no adverse reports from the owner he had a Triumph 500 cc on it 371 lbs in weight.

Never seen the single wheel version so cannot comment

Sorry that I appear to have sparked off a bit of an argument and it is plain to see that the issue is far more complicated than it first appears.

I don't like leaving a thread 'open' so to respond to a few of the points raised:-

We are actually strongly torn between Bailey (lower price and Alde Heating plus a reasonably local dealer (i.e. under 40 miles) and Auto-Trail (Fiat Engine and superior back-up but blown air heating , a bit more pricey plus nearest dealer is a considerable distance away (i.e. 100 miles)

Certainly Swift (Bessacarr were in the running but were ruled-out due to their love of wet-rooms in the MH's we like in their range)

I am especially disappointed with Al-Ko exactly because they supply suitable racks and the chassis to Bailey so if they don't know then who does.....?

The concern raised about foreign compliance and ferry access will be an issue to consider as we do intend to take the MH abroad and I will want whatever we do to be legal and safe.

Are the Hydralift type trailers accepted abroad ?

My wife is concerned that a 7.5 M van then becomes an 8+ M unit but I don't think that would be an issue for me if we go down that route.

We may even have to consider a different lay-out if matters cant be made certain but hopefully , that wont be the case.

It does seem disappointing that the manufacturers don't seem able (willing ?) to offer clearer advice but maybe , when we are at 'point of purchase' , we will be able to get the supplying dealer to state clearly in writing what the vehicle capabillites are before we hand over any cash and we can take it from there.

spartan3956 - 2015-03-16 3:03 PM

I carry a BSA Bantam 175cc 100 kg motorbike on a rack mounted off the tow-bar it does have a four pin fixing which gives a more stable and of course stronger, the tow-bar is attached to the Alko maxi chassis.

The ramp that lowers by using a hydraulic bottle jack are very good i have a friend who uses one all over Europe. again with a similar sized bike

I have also seen the 2 wheel 360 degree turning wheeled ramps they can take a much heavier motorcycle no adverse reports from the owner he had a Triumph 500 cc on it 371 lbs in weight.

Thank you to you and Laimeduck. That's encouraging. I've had lots of queries all of which I've had answered by using the search facility as the same questions can get asked over and over again.

I couldn't find any advice on how easy it is shove 120 kg of Yamaha up a slope and am now confident that I'll manage.

I did buy 150 miles away and after all the faults being fixed it cost me 450 miles of fuel and considerable time. non refundable, it would have been a lot more if i hadn't fixed most of them myself.

They had a no posting policy which really annoyed me,

They never tell you before you sign

I would never buy so far away again especially new.

I have used a rack on swift ,Auto trail and my current Auto cruise without incident. Ferry ramps no problem

Have you ever considered towing a single bike trailer which will mean the size of the bike will be more capable.

I have towed all over Europe approx 10K with a large 368kg Honda Touring bike ok it puts 10ft on the length of the unit but its never been a problem,

The manufacturers will never commit to any mod they are concerned of comeback if done incorrectly.

I currently use a rack fitted with a tow bar i dont carry a bike on the rack when towing you have to be sensible in relation to the weight of the trailer and bike plus rack ,if a larger bike is required i have the option.

Gearbox1056 - 2015-03-16 3:49 PM

I am especially disappointed with Al-Ko exactly because they supply suitable racks and the chassis to Bailey so if they don't know then who does.....?

Attached is a picture of a scooter rack on the back of Bailey 740/5 which shows, I suppose, that it is possible.

As someone who has weighed their 740, I can't believe that it would work within the standard 3500kg MAM. You would certainly have to re-plate to 3850kg unless you planned to travel with a near-empty van.

Then of course there is the question of overhang. The 740's 7.4m length sits on a 4.1m wheelbase, a common enough configuration used by many m/h manufacturers which results in a longish overhang. The weight of a rack and scooter 'aft' would surely be badly detrimental to the van's handling.

Plus of course the resultant overhang (which includes all bolted structures) would be more than 60% of the wheelbase and the van would fail to comply with the Construction & Use Regulations (whatever that might imply..).

Overall, not a good idea IMHO.

11046629_1046546002028964_1084185116219839864_n.thumb.jpg.b7ce3ac495a93eadcb13dba3e8e38d36.jpg

Guest peter
DavidGJ - 2015-03-16 5:31 PM

spartan3956 - 2015-03-16 3:03 PM

Thank you to you and Laimeduck. That's encouraging. I've had lots of queries all of which I've had answered by using the search facility as the same questions can get asked over and over again.

I couldn't find any advice on how easy it is shove 120 kg of Yamaha up a slope and am now confident that I'll manage.

Unless you're built like Geoff Capes I wouldn't bet on it. Especially as you will be standing on the ground and trying to push it through a small opening. I'd go with the Hyratrail instead. I've got one and they're pretty good.

Gearbox1056 - 2015-03-16 3:49 PM

Sorry that I appear to have sparked off a bit of an argument and it is plain to see that the issue is far more complicated than it first appears.

I don't like leaving a thread 'open' so to respond to a few of the points raised:-

We are actually strongly torn between Bailey (lower price and Alde Heating plus a reasonably local dealer (i.e. under 40 miles) and Auto-Trail (Fiat Engine and superior back-up but blown air heating , a bit more pricey plus nearest dealer is a considerable distance away (i.e. 100 miles)

Certainly Swift (Bessacarr were in the running but were ruled-out due to their love of wet-rooms in the MH's we like in their range)

The concern raised about foreign compliance and ferry access will be an issue to consider as we do intend to take the MH abroad and I will want whatever we do to be legal and safe.

Are the Hydralift type trailers accepted abroad ?

My wife is concerned that a 7.5 M van then becomes an 8+ M unit but I don't think that would be an issue for me if we go down that route.

We may even have to consider a different lay-out if matters cant be made certain but hopefully , that wont be the case.

It does seem disappointing that the manufacturers don't seem able (willing ?) to offer clearer advice but maybe , when we are at 'point of purchase' , we will be able to get the supplying dealer to state clearly in writing what the vehicle capabillites are before we hand over any cash and we can take it from there.

Would not worry about arguments they are the norm. As for the concern about foreign compliance, not sure what this is all about, another 'hearsay' thing I reckon. Ferry access, well we have the long wheelbase Alko, as I have mentioned, and it is very low but never had a ferry problem. If you think a supplying dealer or a maker is going to supply a written statement that any van is going to take a scooter rack I reckon you are in for a disappointment. You are simply going to have to sort this out yourself and I still say the best way to start is to talk to someone like Armitage trailers. The Hydratrails legality has been questioned but as far as I know nothing has ever come of it.

Archived