Tyre pressure monitors again

Armstrong2

Just collected my Peugeot based motorhome from Peugeot dealer.ask them to reset tyre pressure settings.gave him pressures from continental tyres.called back 1hr later mechanic told me it is not

Possible to do.now I am stumped..79psi in rear tyres is much to high

This is the truth of the matter, they haven't the right diagnostic tool to do the job.

Below is a response to another owner with the same problem.

The Peugeot Homologation and External Relations team have advised that 'The tyre pressures that the customer wishes to have (provided they have authorisation from the tyre manufacturer) can be recorded into the TPMS ECU. To do this the vehicle will need to go to an authorised repairer who has access to the diagnostic tool.' "

However,

My nearside left kept flagging up that it needed some air, after about a week or so it stopped doing so, I wonder if it just stops reporting or it accepts that it is now at a new pressure?

should anyone try it out on all four tyres, please let me know.

Pete

I assume it is possible to inflate the tyres to a higher pressure than that at which the TPMS is set to alarm?

Motorhome loads fluctuate with use (fuel, water etc. consumed), and over time as we change our loading habits.

Could you get the TPMS pressures set to a safe compromise below maximum load, and then inflate beyond that pressure to suit actual load? That way, you'd still get a warning if a tyre pressure dropped dangerously in use, but the system shouldn't be quite so hairline sensitive as some seem to be, and would allow you a bit of choice with pressures to cater for future load variations without needing to get the system re-set every time. Just musing, that's all! :-)

Armstrong2 - 2017-04-27 2:06 PM

Just collected my Peugeot based motorhome from Peugeot dealer.ask them to reset tyre pressure settings.gave him pressures from continental tyres.called back 1hr later mechanic told me it is not

Possible to do.now I am stumped..79psi in rear tyres is much to high

Not sure what MH you have, but our last two vans(both coachbuilt0 and the new one (PVC) which we collect shortly have recommended TPs of 80psi all round. In practice and after discussing with the dealers, we reduce that to 74psi, as this is a more comfortable level.

Have no knowledge of the TPMS system as has never been fitted, and in discussion with dealers for the new one, they suggest they are best avoided...probably for the reasons the OP is quoting!!

Armstrong2’s motorhome is a current-model Elddis Accordo 105 based on a Peugeot Boxer.

There is a short section in the Boxer handbook relating to the “Tyre under-inflation detection system” but no technical data are provided as to how much drop in inflation-pressure the system will tolerate before a low-pressure warning is issued.

I assume Elddus (unlike Bailey) will not have diverged from the 5bar/72.5psi (front tyres) and 5.5bar/79.8psi (rear tyres) recommendations that are the norm for motorhomes fitted with 215/70 R15CP tyres. Consequently it would be logical to assume that those are the pressures that the Accordo’s TPMS system will have been adjusted to.

There has ben a good deal of discussion (on this and other forums) about the TPMS system fitted to Boxer-based motorhomes

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=TPMS&author=&days=&Submit=Search

It should be possible to establish by trial-and-error how much pressure-reduction from the 5bar/5.5bar values the TPMS system will accept before a warning is triggered, but it should be anticipated that a major reduction (say to 4bar/4.5bar) would result in warnings being produced.

This 2015 thread

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/New-Ducato/37504/

suggested that February 2016 might be the date when a TPMS became mandatory for new ‘multi-stage construction’ motorhomes, but although UK-built Boxer-based coachbuilt models seem to have been commonly fitted with TPMS for a while, equivalent Ducato-based motorhomes have not. As the Ducato TPMS also does not allow a driver to twiddlie the pre-set pressures, it’s going to be interesting when TPMS is no longer an option for Ducatos.

Had my elddis accordo weighed.sent continetal tyres with info.came back with 44psi front.52 rear no water onboard when weighed.big difference from elddis figures.much better ride with lower settings.trouble is tpms keeps flagging up.and can't find a dealer to alter TPM settings

I've just had a look for TPMS on the Autel website and note they quote a relearn procedure for 2014 - 2017 Boxers...

http://www.maxitpms.com/getCoverage.jspx

"Relearn Procedure:

1. Properly install tire pressure sensors.

2. Ensure all tires are inflated to the pressure listed on the tire placard. (located in the door jam of your vehicle)

3. Park for 20 minutes. Drive vehicle at speed between 16 mph (25km/h) and 64 mph (100km/h) for at least 10 minutes. TPMS Sensors will be learned automatically , any TPMS warning will disappear and tire pressure value will display if available."

Has anyone tried this exact procedure?

Keith.

Doesn’t the procedure you’ve quoted merely relate to ’teaching’ new TPMS sensors to communicate correctly with the vehicle’s ECU that will have been factory-programmed with the recommended inflation-pressure values?

The give-away is the statement "Ensure all tires are inflated to the pressure listed on the tire placard. (located in the door jam of your vehicle)”. Armstrong2’s Boxer’s ECU’s software will (presumably) contain the 72.5psi/79.8psi values I mentioned above (and shown on the motorhome’s door jamb) so reducing the tyre pressures to 44psi/52psi won’t affect this. It’s the values in the motorhome’s ECU that will first of all need to be altered to match the reduced tyre pressures Armstrong2 wants to use.

Keithl - 2017-04-29 1:57 PM

I've just had a look for TPMS on the Autel website and note they quote a relearn procedure for 2014 - 2017 Boxers...

http://www.maxitpms.com/getCoverage.jspx

"Relearn Procedure:

1. Properly install tire pressure sensors.

2. Ensure all tires are inflated to the pressure listed on the tire placard. (located in the door jam of your vehicle)

3. Park for 20 minutes. Drive vehicle at speed between 16 mph (25km/h) and 64 mph (100km/h) for at least 10 minutes. TPMS Sensors will be learned automatically , any TPMS warning will disappear and tire pressure value will display if available."

Has anyone tried this exact procedure?

Keith.

The 're-learn' procedure relates to introducing new TPMS sender units (i.e. the special valve in the wheel) into a TPMS system, sadly it has nothing to do with the system learning to accept new pressures. It allows you to change a faulty valve unit with say a flat battery without the need to re-configure the system; the system will learn to accept the data from the new unit.

(Edit: written while Derek was posting, but agrees with his conclusion).

We have a 2015 Accordo with TPMS. The TPMS is very irritating and my local Peugeot dealer is unable to reduce the set pressures. The alarm comes on when the pressures fall below about 68psi (as measured using a digital tyre pressure gauge). The low pressure alarm goes off only after pressures are increased to 73-75psi and after driving many miles (on one occasion it was 200 miles after increasing pressures that it finally shut up). Whoever designed this stupid system should be hung drawn and quartered!

Armstrong2 - 2017-04-29 7:30 PM

Why didn't elddis contact tyre manufactures? with axle weights and get correct tyre pressure settings.instead of getting crazy figures that tpms are set at

It is simple. The manufacturer cannot know how the user will load the vehicle. They therefore set the tyre pressures to a value appropriate to the maximum permissible load for each axle. That way, no tyre can be under-inflated (dangerous) relative to its actual axle load. However, no vehicle can be legally operated with both/all axles at their individual maximum loading, as the result would be a vehicle that exceeded its MAM. So, the TPMS settings are safe, but inevitably result in at least one axle being over-inflated relative to the optimum pressure for its actual load. The consequential result for the user is a harsher, more jarring, ride.

Archived