VIN Plates Chausson 650

plop

Hi Everyone,

We're getting ready to go away 4th July - got camps ites booked so assuming these in Bournemouth idiots don't get a complete lockdown enforced again we can;t wait. Various Caravan club sites around Devon/Cornwall and getting our security and solar fitted at VanBitz.

We've had one overnight on the drive and the bed in this thing is absolutely amazing - my neck and back are totally screwed, hence no more camping - but this is as good as my £1500 home mattress.

Anyway, now we are getting everything loaded up thought I'd check the weight situation. Called past the weighbridge and got 1700kg rear axle and 1500kg front axle.

Somethings to add but we'll be absolutely fine for normal use this year.

However, next year if I can get some time and finish building my trimaran project, we'll be looking at towing.

There won't be much nose weight as I can design / build it to whatever I want basically as I'm doing the trailer as well. We can move some from the garage behind the rear wheel on to the middle of the trailer taking that weight out of the equation.

Total trailer / boat weight max 450kg assuming I add everything I can possibly think of!

I've looked under the bonnet at the VIN plates and there are two - attached a photo hopefully.

One of them says about 3650kg while the other says 3500kg.

Does this mean It could be re-plated pretty simply to 3650kg but without increasing the rear axle weight?

We will get close to the rear limit but we can wait and see nearer the time but just interested what the plates are referring to. Could anybody help me understand?

1334878719_vinplates.jpg.65d42696c9659024ebb1730fb6e26b4c.jpg

The quick answer is yes.

The latest stage VIN plate is the one that is in force (the etape/stage 2 Chausson one).

Most Ducatos for conversion nowadays seem to leave the factory at 3650 (on the light chassis) but are conventionally downplated by converters because of the legislation impacts of going over 3500kg.

So, it should be a fairly easy paper exercise to upgrade the MAM back to 3650kg, though, as you acknowledge, it won't increase either of the maximum axle loads.

Of course, going over 3500kg has certain implications, including type of driving license, tolls, speed limits abroad, etc.)

Yes I was looking at the 2nd 3500kg figure which on the first plate is 6150kg and just found that out about the gross train weight.

I will contact the dealer as I was very explicit about the requirement to tow and that will entirely screw that plan as is.

colin - 2020-06-25 6:55 PM

Struggling to see the second plate, but on my screen it looks like the front axle is 1650, not 1850 as I assume it should be.

Possibly your computer, I'm reading the second plate as

3,500 kg

3,500 kg

1,850 kg

2,000 kg

So front axle is the same as Fiat but no towing allowance.

Keith.

Keithl - 2020-06-25 7:12 PM

colin - 2020-06-25 6:55 PM

Struggling to see the second plate, but on my screen it looks like the front axle is 1650, not 1850 as I assume it should be.

Possibly your computer, I'm reading the second plate as

3,500 kg

3,500 kg

1,850 kg

2,000 kg

So front axle is the same as Fiat but no towing allowance.

Keith.

Just opened it up with phone and zoomed in, sure enough it is the expected 1850.

According to Chausson it is rated to tow 2 tons - as per brochures and conversations with the dealer who is now following it up with Trigano.

The Fiat is higher rated than the Ford base which is one of the reasons why we went the Fiat route.

Hopefully hear back shortly and get it sorted!

plop - 2020-06-26 10:27 AM

According to Chausson it is rated to tow 2 tons - as per brochures and conversations with the dealer who is now following it up with Trigano.

If that is the case then you must insist on being issued with a new, corrected VIN plate or you still will not be legal to tow. The VIN plate will be the only thing to be taken into account if you are ever stopped by the Police or VOSA/DVSA.

Keith.

The Fiat is higher rated than the Ford base which is one of the reasons why we went the Fiat route.

Out of interest have you got the Trigano 'Certificat De Conformite'? On my Pilote one the Maximum Train Weight is listed in Section Masses as ' Masse Maximale Techniquement Admissable de L'ensamble" 6000kg and an unbraked maximum trailer weight of 750kg and braked 2000kg.

plop - 2020-06-26 12:48 PM

The certificate of conformity appears to show no towing capacity from what I can see.

Forwarded this on to the dealer as well to see what they can find out.

I hope you get an answer that will satisfy you and a new c of c and weight plate issued but I am not very confident that you will.

This may be a helpful group for you https://www.facebook.com/groups/345455035659773/

The UK Tech Flyer is missing one line from the tech spec (the first one in the attached picture, which was taken from the non-UK english version)..

It certainly appears that it is technically possible, under certain circumstances, to add a tow-bar and tow up to 2000kg. The reference is, however, specifically to a "Factory-fitted" towbar (where this line is not missing).

I wonder whether, when this is specified, other changes are made to the base-vehicle (mounting points, rear bodywork cut-outs, etc.) and if this is not specified for the build, the capability is noticeably absent, and the VIN plate reflects this.

Certainly, your dealer ought to be able to clarify.

Chausson.JPG.04af794a9b25d2329e9a2fb544e35159.JPG

Archived