attention moderators

silverback

Although you do a very good job (I would not want it) but could I make a suggestion, on removing peoples comments (which is fine to avoid issues with the Kiddies) to stop me scrolling through hours of posts to try and find what I said, if you told the people involved with the comments that were removed it would be helpful, or at least put a comment on the thread involved. Thanks for reading keep up the good work B-) B-) B-)

Jonathan

PS just trying to save my finger involved from getting sore

witzend - 2020-12-14 11:03 AM

The post / thread should stay there just the contents replaced by CENSORED by who ever did the deed

That method works OK when individual postings within a forum thread are being moderated.

However, what happened yesterday was that a link to a 2006/2007 ‘dead’ forum thread was provided within a current (13 December 2020) discussion and the old thread was then posted to bringing it to the top of the Motorhome Matters forum listing. This can lead to confusion and, in this instance, did.

I froze the 2006/2007 thread to stop it being further extended and said that I would leave the thread in place until this morning to allow the recent poster to see my comments. This morning I deleted the post that resurrected the ancient thread, plus my own post. This action caused the thread to return to the early part of the forum’s records from whence it had come. And I left the thread frozen to stop it being revived again.

Fortunately this sort of thing doesn’t happen that often here. It could be addressed if any thread that had not been posted to for (say) 6 months automatically ‘self froze’, but that would require a software change and that ain’t going to happen...

Derek Uzzell - 2020-12-14 2:27 PM

witzend - 2020-12-14 11:03 AM

The post / thread should stay there just the contents replaced by CENSORED by who ever did the deed

That method works OK when individual postings within a forum thread are being moderated.

I don't agree with moderation if it means altering a post or a Thread if you decide its not what should be there it should be censored / deleted by altering / moderating a post You could make it mean something completely different than the original poster intended. When a thread goes off topic I'd be glad to see from where it goes off topic moved to chatterbox and a post left to say it had happened and why. I really only come here for motorhome content but realise than Covid & Brexit are biggest things to happen for some time and everyone has a opinion on them so easy for them to take over a thread

As a forum Moderator I can freeze and/or ’sticky’ a thread, move it to another of the forums or delete it in its entirety. I can also delete postings within a thread and edit their content. I’m not ‘time limited’, so I can edit a posting at any time however recent or old it is and (unlike for non-Moderator forum participants) my editing will leave no ‘fingerprints’. As you rightly say this means that - if I so chose - I could rewrite posts so that they meant something completely different from what the original posters intended. In practice, I rarely fiddle about with another person’s posting unless it will obviously benefit - for instance when it’s clear that a word like “not” has been omitted.

However (as I’m certain I’ve said before) although I can edit or delete individual postings, that’s all I can do at the postings level. If a thread starts up and gets a lot of attention over a shortish period - purely as an example this one -

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Benefits-to-the-MH-community-of-a-no-deal-Brexit-/57048/

and then goes off topic or people start getting at each others throats, I can’t do as you’ve suggested and leave the earlier ‘good stuff’ in place and move the later off-topic/slagging-off posts to Chatterbox. I can move the whole thread to Chatterbox, or freeze it to stop the rot, or delete the offending posts, or do as you suggested earlier and delete all the text in each offending post and replace it with (say) “CENSORED” or “MODERATED”.

(I like your “CENSORED” suggestion (though I think “MODERATED” is potentially less controversial) and I’ve now tried it out on the linked thread. I think I could get addicted to this as it’s almost as easy for me to do than deletion and a good deal more pleasurable.)

Derek Uzzell - 2020-12-14 6:11 PM

. I think I could get addicted to this as it’s almost as easy for me to do than deletion and a good deal more pleasurable.)

Thats the only problem but your never going to be popular doing your job and as keith suggested you all ought to sign your work

Derek Uzzell - 2020-12-14 4:11 PM

(I like your “CENSORED” suggestion (though I think “MODERATED” is potentially less controversial) and I’ve now tried it out on the linked thread. I think I could get addicted to this as it’s almost as easy for me to do than deletion and a good deal more pleasurable.)

Derek I suggest you should not become too addicted, if so not even Virgil will be able to save you from the river Styx!! Cheers,

Archived