Valeting

jacqui

The neighbouring Business to mine does valeting and he is wondering how many people with Motorhomes would pay for a professional valeting service on their vans, wash and polish all the exterior including roofs and arches with auto glym products, he is looking at around £60 for a small van.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have had a chat with Bob the valeter this morning, and he has come up with the following price list

Panel vans and small Coach builts (ie up to 5.5metres) £60

5.5 - &.0 metres £85

7.0 - 8.5 metres European £110

outsize inc ARV over 25ft £125

It would never occur to the other half to let someone else clean and polish his pride and joy - having said that I'm sure many would, especially those who are not fit and nimble enough to do so or unable to get on the roof.

To get a feel of potential worth, has this person thought of going to a site (with owners permission) and running a survey? Perhaps a site that does storage? Or even a dealers and asking them if they can run a survey?

I'm sure like anything if the price is right, people will be interested

Being just 5ft I find cleaning the motorhome very difficult so last year I had it valeted inside and out. I was very pleased with the result and would use him (and his wife who did the inside) again. As I have a dog with long fur it was a hard job for them (although they had good tools) and I might find that the price has gone up another time. If my memory serves me right I paid about £75. Incidentally he came to where the motorhome is parked.

jacqui - 2008-11-21 10:35 AM

Hi Martyn

£8 for a hand wash is good value but what our neighbour is offering includes a full polish with auto glym not just a wash,

Jacqui

Hello Jacqui, sorry if I gave the impression of a comparison, I wasn't, but I do think his prices are a bit steep.

Maybe it's my cheap Northern mentality creeping in though..

Martyn

jacqui - 2008-11-21 10:35 AM

Hi Martyn

£8 for a hand wash is good value but what our neighbour is offering includes a full polish with auto glym not just a wash,

Jacqui

Hello Jacqui, sorry if I gave the impression of a comparison, I wasn't, but I do think his prices are a bit steep.

Maybe it's my cheap Northern mentality creeping in though..

Martyn

jacqui - 2008-11-21 12:32 PM

Hi Martyn, with all due respect if your comment about getting your van washed for £8 wasn't intended as a comparison what was your point please?

Hello Jacqui, your respect is noted, I was trying to highlight, somewhat clumsily perhaps, that there is a charge there of £52 to polish a van. Even allowing for top quality products, and power washing the arches, (if that's what you meant) that seems a lot to me.

Maybe it's just me being stingy though as I'm still young and fit enough, (God willing), to not have to pay for it to be done.

I'm sure the forum will put me right if I'm out of touch with these prices as Patricia has already alluded to.

Martyn

Martyn,

I tend to agree with you. I couldnt afford that sort of money, I clean ours everytime we come back from a trip, sometimes inbetween as well. If the grandson is around he loves getting on the roof and cleans it better than me. Inside gets done when we pack up on site jujst before we leave.

David

All I know is that the pair of them worked extremely hard all day and they must have been absolutely frozen. They cleaned two motorhomes, my Cheyenne and a Chieftain. Inside they didn't just vacuum but cleaned the carpet and upholstery too. I thought their price was very fair for a good 6 hours work.

Janine - interested in your comment about the "black stuff" cleaner. Do you mean to blacken the bumper again or to remove black streaks?

Patricia - 2008-11-21 4:14 PM

Janine - interested in your comment about the "black stuff" cleaner. Do you mean to blacken the bumper again or to remove black streaks?

It blackens the bumpers, which are very faded. The effect last for several months, so I'm pleased.

Keith - I'm changing back to cute & cuddly now that I have sorted the naughty boys over in Chatterbox ;-)

Ooops, sorry Patricia - I just fetched the bottle in to tell you what to get and it's not Autoglym at all, it's Mer Bumper & External Vinyl Cleaning Gel.

You need to do it a couple of times first-off if your bumper is badly faded. It also fetched up the colour of my decals well, too.

Guest Tracker

I find the best polishes and cleaners for GRP are those sold for boat use by marinas and chandlers but unfortunately they are not cheap?!

J9withdogs - 2008-11-21 5:30 PM

Ooops, sorry Patricia - I just fetched the bottle in to tell you what to get and it's not Autoglym at all, it's Mer Bumper & External Vinyl Cleaning Gel.

You need to do it a couple of times first-off if your bumper is badly faded. It also fetched up the colour of my decals well, too.

Janine thank you so much for this info. I have found Mer products, and there are lots of them, on the internet (what would we do without it now!) so I can buy some. Brilliant. Thanks again.

So, to get back to the original topic, how many of you would use a professional to wash and machine polish the outside of your motorhome including the roof? Also what do you consider to e a reasonable charge?

Patricia, was the £75 charge per vehicle or for both? 'Cos even if its for just the one vehicle £75 each for a day's labour including travelling is so cheap I doubt they'll be in business for long, unless they skimp on costs like insurance etc.

D.

davenewell@home - 2008-11-21 6:53 PM

So, to get back to the original topic, how many of you would use a professional to wash and machine polish the outside of your motorhome including the roof? Also what do you consider to e a reasonable charge?

Patricia, was the £75 charge per vehicle or for both? 'Cos even if its for just the one vehicle £75 each for a day's labour including travelling is so cheap I doubt they'll be in business for long, unless they skimp on costs like insurance etc.

D.

Dave if my memory serves me correctly he had said £75 for each one but I think he did charge a bit more for the Chieftain, £85 or £90 I think. Admittedly they live fairly locally so travel wasn't much of a consideration but I still think their price was good. They were good natured, pleasant people to deal with too.

Their price was incredibly good value Patricia, I'd just suggest you check what insurance cover they have, professional indemnity, public liability etc as at that price there ain't a lot in the kitty for details like that but overall I'm glad you've found an outfit that gives you the service you require at a price you find acceptable.

D.

Archived