Obsessive Compulsive Affected Disorder

Old Codger Aims Diatribe

Officious Cowardly And Dipstick

Overbearing Cantankerous Artful Dodger

Onerous Chattering Anal Dweeb

Oddly Chuntering Aimless Drawler

Obtuse Critical Angry Die-hard

Official Courteous Affable Dude

Feel free to add to the list ... I'm stuck on more words beginning with 'O'!

(lol)

I think it's such a shame this thread degenerated into a slanging match, as I said in my first response to it, a corking good thread.

Like Malc says, and I agree with him, his mate is missing out on so much. I mean, going back to your van for a brew or some lunch every single time rather than now and again popping into a cafe or a pub.

What is that all about?

That is not normal to me, that's stinginess to a new level and I can't see the point of it all.

Even the social worker in me can't respect that diversity - it's too diverse.

Martyn

Guest Tracker
LordThornber - 2008-12-11 8:06 PM

I mean, going back to your van for a brew or some lunch every single time rather than now and again popping into a cafe or a pub

Martyn

Au contraire Martyn - going back to the van for a meal or a brew is so rewarding!

Just think - you are guaranteed clean crockery and cutlery (well you are in our van), everything is exactly to your own tastes, you don't have to suffer strange food or cooking methods and are less likely to get the screaming squits - and even if you do the loo is handy, warm, dry and clean (well ours always is) with a good supply of the essentials to hand!

But best of all think of how much lovely loot you can save!

I'm only amazed that more of us don't stick to this tried and tested money saving plan!

We nearly always go back to our van for lunch, we don't have much choice as we have to see to the dogs as generally by then we'll have been out for a couple of hours and it's only fair that we also spend some time with them, letting them potter about outside and go for a walk, it's their holiday as well. We do, though, often buy something whilst we're out and about and will have that so we don't just have what we've brought with us. I'd rather prepare something in the van and eat it sitting outside in the sunshine (hopefully!) looking at a nice view (more likely than not) than inside a pub etc waiting for 20 mins or more for our meal to be served.

What I find hard to comprehend though is those who go to the other extreme and rarely eat in their vans, going out for meals virtually all of the time ... what's that all about??? Why have the facilities if you rarely use them? *-)

Am I stingy? You decide

no xmas decs

no cards to my beloved

no material pressies

fold toilet paper several times

use public loos sometimes as we are on a water meter

buy a bus ticket as far as bus goes to 9.30 then use my bus pass

dont flush the loo every time

take bottled water and sarnies so as not to eat out

use 1.2 watt neon bulbs in house

walk miles sooner than pay ticket price

buy in charity shops

check out 3 supermarkets for cheapest foods etc

Guest Tracker
omidknight - 2008-12-11 8:41 PM

Am I stingy? You decide

no xmas decs

no cards to my beloved

no material pressies

fold toilet paper several times

use public loos sometimes as we are on a water meter

buy a bus ticket as far as bus goes to 9.30 then use my bus pass

dont flush the loo every time

take bottled water and sarnies so as not to eat out

use 1.2 watt neon bulbs in house

walk miles sooner than pay ticket price

buy in charity shops

check out 3 supermarkets for cheapest foods etc

Not at all Robbie - it's all common sense and I am proud of your efforts!

Guest Tracker
omidknight - 2008-12-11 8:49 PM

measure the kettle water for drinks with a jug

try to catch supermarkets out if they make a mistake with pricing

We have a mark on the outside of the kettle at the 'two mug fulls level'!

Supermarkets - check every bill as many are wrong and no one ever notices and it's nearly always worth a double refund just for politely querying it - money for nothing - great - I love it!

Tracker - 2008-12-11 8:26 PM

I mean, going back to your van for a brew or some lunch every single time rather than now and again popping into a cafe or a pub

Martyn

Au contraire Martyn - going back to the van for a meal or a brew is so rewarding!

Just think - you are guaranteed clean crockery and cutlery (well you are in our van), everything is exactly to your own tastes, you don't have to suffer strange food or cooking methods and are less likely to get the screaming squits - and even if you do the loo is handy, warm, dry and clean (well ours always is) with a good supply of the essentials to hand!

I'm only amazed that more of us don't stick to this tried and tested money saving plan!

What every single time Rich? C'mon surely not

Ebeneezer :D

Guest Tracker

Well no Martyn not EVERY single time I'm sorry to have to admit.

Sometimes we go back to the van and make sandwiches and a flask of drink and then take it all outside to picnic - but only when it's warm dry and sunny!

RupertGS - 2008-12-10 6:11 PM
Tracker - 2008-12-10 5:07 PM ....... but saving money through ingenuity and awareness is indeed an art form, and for some of us a very satisfying art form, that can be developed over the years. 

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I see you've drawn him out then Rupert :D. I was wondering how long it would take. (lol) (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
Tracker - 2008-12-11 8:26 PM

Martyn

Mmmm....suffers from OCD as well :-D

If you're going to peg it why would you want to save money especially if you are misrable.

Now on the otherhand if you are going to live a long time then you need to be free park in laybyes and not pay for much because you will need your money to keep on seeing the world.

can stinginess become an illness not enough to make you that ill :D

But misrableness thats another thing all together :D

Part and parcel of my holiday enjoyment is spending money, if we are on site and the nearest town or village is a few miles away we will use the park and ride. Spend a few hours browsing in the shops, museums, junk shops etc etc seeing what treasures I can find.

And I personally, just love to call in a local caff for a cuppa and a bun or whatever and just sit there people watching, no way am I going to wait until we get back to the van to save a few paltry shillings.

I can't help but notice trackers constant reference to his nice clean warm van etc, do you have a problem Tracker? are you an obsessive? I do believe you can get treatment for it.

Or are you one of those smug, elitist types I have come across several times who seem to think that because they have the bigger type motorhomes they are one up from the lesser mortals?

Money is made round for going round, is my way of thinking.

Part and parcel of my holiday enjoyment is spending money, if we are on site and the nearest town or village is a few miles away we will use the park and ride. Spend a few hours browsing in the shops, museums, junk shops etc etc seeing what treasures I can find.

And I personally, just love to call in a local caff for a cuppa and a bun or whatever and just sit there people watching, no way am I going to wait until we get back to the van to save a few paltry shillings.

I can't help but notice trackers constant reference to his nice clean warm van etc, do you have a problem Tracker? are you an obsessive? I do believe you can get treatment for it.

Or are you one of those smug, elitist types I have come across several times who seem to think that because they have the bigger type motorhomes they are one up from the lesser mortals?

I'm with Rich on this. How do you think he got his bigger type motorhome? It wasn't by wasting his cash on cuppas and buns in cafes. Didn't your mother ever teach you to look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves?

I'm saving hard to become one of those smug elitist types. I can't wait to rise above lesser mortals.

Perhaps it's time to end this thread as the point appears to have been proved - there are obviously people for whom saving money is an obsession, and quite clearly in the cases of two or three members of this forum, bordering on a psychotic illness.

I refer you all to my earlier examples - the two magistrates whose lives were ruined for £60 and the father whose penny-pinching cost him the lives of four of his children.

I wonder how they are feeling now about their obsession that 'If you save the pennies the pounds will take care of themselves?'.

To Knight of the Road I would say: Keep up your common-sense attitude to money. You may die with a few pounds less than some of our contributors but you'll have had a happier life and won't have been the object of scorn and derision from all your friends. It is a fact that most people do not like mean and stingy friends because, as has already been pointed out by Howie, people who are mean with money are often mean-spirited and selfish in other ways as well.

parkmoy - 2008-12-12 6:36 AM

I'm with Rich on this. How do you think he got his bigger type motorhome? It wasn't by wasting his cash on cuppas and buns in cafes. Didn't your mother ever teach you to look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves?

I'm saving hard to become one of those smug elitist types. I can't wait to rise above lesser mortals.

Parkmoy,

I come from a time when money was seriously tight and I know how to conserve my money, thats why I live in a big house that was valued at £400.000 two years ago, having said that a big 24' van would be overkill to my requirements. When we are out and about on trips we spend our time out doors not in the van. Rupert quite rightly related to two people who lost their jobs and reputation in order to save a few miserly quid I have always maintained that those who are generous with their money fare better in life than the tightwads.

Like I said I earn the money and I spend it wisely you dont need a wrench to part me from my money, having said that it all depends on your earning capacity if you work for a company on a fixed income your lifestyle is governed to your income, I am self employed and can earn in one day what it takes a lot of other people a week.

I am not going to travel the country just to sit in a "warm clean van" I want to be out and about.

Archived