Gas bottle on or off when travelling

libby

Bruce is correct when he says the gas would burn like a 'bunsen burner', this is what happend when we had a gas leak in the piping on our then motorhome, due to the faulty fitting of a BBQ point - where they had connected the piping for the BBQ point to the existing piping, the new piping was too short, they had not removed the compression nut and olive and instead had rammed the pipe up (which was under tension) into the T joint. As the nut and olive had not been removed and placed correctly on the end of the pipe first, when the pipe was inserted it had pushed the olive up into the nut, so it did not, therefore sit properly on the pipe and was only holding and making a seal by a fraction, add to this mix that they didn't put any of the sealing putty (which they had on the other 2 joints) and it was an accident waiting to happen.

It eventually gave way in France some 2 years later when we had the heatwave (41 degrees in May/June 2005!), the consensus seems to be that the excessive heat and our travelling made the olive finally release and when he turned the gas on to make a cuppa the static build up either in the air or from my husband's hand touching the cupboard handle (where the T joint was) ignited the gas. We then had the bunsen burner effect, or rather a 5ft blow torch (no exaggeration!) in the middle of our motorhome, not something I would wish anyone to experience!!!

What I must stress is that this trip was shortly after we had had a habitation service carried out on the vehicle by the dealer who installed the BBQ point where I had asked them to check the gas system .... totally incompetent both from the point of view of fitting the BBQ point and the system check. I certainly would never let them work in my motorhome again.

Sooo ... getting back to the point ... do I travel with gas on or off now? Well until we got a van with an AES fridge we always turned it off, now our Rimor has an AES fridge we decide to take any 'risk' to benefit from not having to keep turning the gas on and off, we did first carefully check the BBQ point that was installed by the Rimor dealership though to make sure it had been done properly! My own opinion is that the risk of having an accident in a motorhome is much less than in a car, the risk of then having a fire as well is even more remote, therefore it is a low risk, and therefore we accept this. There are, however, bigger risks, such as travelling without a seatbelt ... its all about what you are willing to accept/risk.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many years ago I was on a site in Cornwall when the lady in the next tent dropped, or knocked over, a Camping Gaz lantern, and that went up in a fireball, setting light to the tent and giving her some nasty burns.

And that was just one of those small dispoable canisters.

IN the UK it seems OK to leave the gas on.

In France it is illegal to leave gas on when traveling and should it be checked, carry extra euros for the fine. Our new MH now has a switch inside to electronically switch of the gas to comply with French law (mh built in France).

Hi Den

I have the Truma Drive-Safe (or Secumotion) system fitted. This is a Use-Whilst-You-Drive LPG Gas regulator for Motorhomes system.

To quote from

http://www.truma.com/truma05/en/products/detail2_en_78791.html

"The new heating equipment directive has introduced stricter safety requirements for gas systems for heating while driving. The Truma SecuMotion with gas flow monitor and the high pressure hoses with integrated hose rupture protection that are connected to it are the basis for complying with this directive. With SecuMotion you can heat while driving throughout Europe "

This implies that without such a system you would be illegal to drive anywhere in europe with the gas on.

In a domestic house situation it is highly illegal for a householder, layman or untrained person to touch any gas installation without having the appropriate qualifications, even opening the boiler casing is illegal.

It therefore amazes me that anyone who buys a caravan or motorhome can freely fiddle about with gas cylindars without knowing anything about them, and some of the idiots on sites that I have seen that lie gas bottles on their side puts the fear of God in me.

I am also surprised that no one on this thread has mentioned the type of gas regulator that automatically shuts down if the rubber gas pipe is ripped off in an accident assumming the gas has been left on while travelling, propane burns much fiercer than butane, get a burn off propane and you will know you have been burnt, as a plumber I am well versed in the use of bottled gas.

Den and Roamer:

You may wish to read through my comments on

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14245&posts=17

that evidently provoked libby into starting off this thread.

General:

As I've said previously, I don't believe there are any legal regulations in any EC country that demand that a motorhome's gas-supply be physically turned off before the vehicle is driven.

I'm naturally averse to accepting inference, hearsay or educated guesswork as factual information, particularly where legislation is concerned. So, if anyone KNOWS that there is legislation in any EC country that makes it an offence to drive a motorhome without first ensuring that the gas-supply to its 'domestic' appliances is switched off at the gas containers, then would they please quote the references of the relevant regulations. If I find that I was wrong in my belief after I've studied the regulations themselves then I'll happily admit it.

Just to drive the point home - I'm not concerned with the pros and cons of turning off the gas supply, nor the merits or otherwise of systems that turn off the supply automatically when a vehicle is started or provide protection in the event of an accident. Nor am I interested in the legality or advisability of operating a gas appliance (heater or whatever) when a vehicle is being driven. Nor am I bothered about what people think, have been told or have read somewhere or other but can't quite remember where - I'm purely and simply interested in getting hard factual information on any current within-the-EC 'switching the gas-bottles off' laws.

I am not aware of any official ruling regarding gas bottles being turned on or off whilst in transit. So I would imagine it is solely up to the drivers discretion.

The thing to bear in mind though is, if involved in an accident and an open gas bottle fired up would your insurence company try to wriggle out of paying out?

knight of the road - 2008-12-30 9:38 AM

I am not aware of any official ruling regarding gas bottles being turned on or off whilst in transit. So I would imagine it is solely up to the drivers discretion.

The thing to bear in mind though is, if involved in an accident and an open gas bottle fired up would your insurence company try to wriggle out of paying out?

Ps the fire brigade prefer it if the gas bottles are open, because if in the event of a fire the bottles will more than likely have fired off before they get to the scene thus reducing the danger to them, a closed off bottle that is in the flames is a ticking time bomb and takes longer to deal with (cooling down etc)

Firstly, I have never quite understood the connection betweem EEC directives and individual country law, can someone posible enlighten me.

Secondly, it appears that the requirement to use a Corgi registered fitter for all household gas work does not explicitally rule out DIY in your own home. I understand that Corgi took a case to court and lost, but I cannot find a reference to this, but a search using "DIY gas fitting legal" shows that it is all a matter of being competent.

So working on your own motorhome is just the same.

Roamer - 2008-12-30 1:25 PM

Firstly, I have never quite understood the connection betweem EEC directives and individual country law, can someone posible enlighten me.

Secondly, it appears that the requirement to use a Corgi registered fitter for all household gas work does not explicitally rule out DIY in your own home. I understand that Corgi took a case to court and lost, but I cannot find a reference to this, but a search using "DIY gas fitting legal" shows that it is all a matter of being competent.

Roamer,

If you go down to your local town hall and check things out, you will find that the ruling on doing your own DIY jobs on your own home, Gas or electric changed some two years ago, technically you have to pay a fee to the town hall to inspect your work and pass it, can't remember what the regulation is called but you will find that I am correct.

Den - 2008-12-29 6:36 PM

IN the UK it seems OK to leave the gas on.

In France it is illegal to leave gas on when traveling and should it be checked, carry extra euros for the fine. Our new MH now has a switch inside to electronically switch of the gas to comply with French law (mh built in France).

I believe this is a red herring as far as French law is concerned...

You own an expensive Le Voyageur packed with lots of dinky posh goodies not fitted to cheap-and-cheerful vehicles purchased by us lesser mortals.

I'm pretty sure that the switch you mention relates to a rarely-specified Truma accessory referred to as a "Gas remote switch". The advertising blurb says "The Truma remote gas switch removes the need to go to the cylinder box and turn off the gas cylinders". "Cylinder box" is Truma-speak for "gas locker" and this product just provides a convenient means of shutting off the gas supply from within the motorhome.

Truma's literature indicates that the shut-off valve controlled by the remote switch is installed on the low pressure side of the gas system (ie. downstream of the regulator). The remote switch has no effect whatsoever on the supply/shut-off valve fitted to the gas-bottle itself. Hence, despite the Truma valve having been closed via the remote switch, the bottle's own shut-off valve will remain resolutely open unless manually closed.

If you are convinced that France law demands that gas-bottle valves be closed before a motorhome is driven and that failing to do so will attract a fine, you may wish to reconsider how much legal protection your remote gas-off switch actually provides.

Roamer - 2008-12-30 1:25 PM

Hi John -

OK, here's the EU Directive milarky. (Try to stay awake through this......)

To keep stuff simple, and to keep people awake, I'll skim over some of the constitutional stuff.

There's a thingy called the "European Union". Many people think of it as a sort of European Government, but that's not really correct.

There are a number of powers that each country which is a member of the EU has (under the original Treaty of Rome, the Treaty of Maastricht, and several other amending treaties) to pass up to the EU's Council of Ministers.

But there are also a number of powers that are specifically excluded from this...national defence, national taxation etc....these all still remain for each country to set/amend themselves.

So the EU is a sort of "partial super-Government" in reality.

Now, for the things that are in the EU's Council of Ministers remit, what they do is talk/haggle/horsetrade about them, but eventually arrive at an agreed rule, called an "EU Directive".

This is the next thing that gets mere mortals confused. An EU Directive has NO effect on individual citizens of the EU. It is NOT a law. It is not even aimed at individual citizens; it is a Directive to all the national Governments within the EU.

Under the rules of the EU, each national Government is then supposed to pass their own national law (either through primary legislation...called in Britain an Act of Parliament; or through secondary legislation.....called in Britain a Regulation, which is enacted by a Crown Minister for the UK Government who's been given powers under previous Acts of Parliament to make such regulations when required).

It's only once an Act of Parliament, or a Regulation, has been properly passed through the UK parliament that the EU Directive concerned has any effect on UK citizens.

The REALLY fun bit however, is that the EU rules allow countries quite a long time to translate EU Directives into their own national laws.

And the they leave it up to each country to decide how to actually enforce such national laws in accordance with the EU Directive from them to that national Government.

Hence, in the real world, there are ENORMOUS differences between how many EU Directives have been enacted as national laws/regulations, between different EU member countries.

And EVEN MORE differences between how the various countries approach the enforcement of those laws/regulations.

It may surprise you to learn that the EU country which has passed the most EU Directives into its own national laws is.......Italy.

And the country which it is widely felt fails to actually effectively enforce the most of these laws is.......Italy.

In the North of Europe there's a long-developed sort of cultural belief in, and obedience for, the rule of law.

In the UK, Germany etc, the Government takes governing/controlling very seriously.

And the populations accept this.

Sure they write to the Daily Mail as "Disgusted of Surrey", but the State (the Executive arm of the Government) gets a lot of taxes from the population, and thus can afford to spend oodles of your money on having big, heavy departments to inspect and check and fine.

The Health and Safety Executive is a classic example of this.

Thus the population obeys these regulations....'cos they believe that if they don't they'll be caught, and fined.

In the Southern, Med coast countries, the opposite is generally true.

The population has a huge issues with Central Government trying to tell them how to live their lives.

Also, the national Governments in these countries have a refreshing idea of what they are there for: it is not to cause lots of problems for their people, but simply to enjoy big dinners, and get rich, and help their people get rich.

They help their people get rich in two ways: First, they pass each EU Directive into their national law as quickly as they can, in order to get in the queue for EU grant-money that goes along with being a good boy.

Second, they absolutely avoid creating any departments or meachanisms to publicise or check on or enforce these new national laws or regulations.

That way, their farmers, their businessmen, their employees enjoy the grant money, but don't have any grief from Central Government.

A local example: ALL the same new Health and Safety regulations that came from the EU Health & Safety Directive (in 1998?, often referred to as the "Six-pack") have been enacted by the Spanish Government into Spanish Law, just like in the UK.

But for the whole Valencian Communidad (region), which is a massive and highly populated region here, there are 4 H & S construction industry inspeactors. Yep. Four. All based in the pokiest office in Valencia.

A building site here will NEVER see an inspector.

A local hotel-building project managed to kill two of its constrcution workers last year in an accident where the construction lift collapsed. No visit from Valencia.

Two weeks later they killed another guy.

An H & S Inspector reluctantly drove down from Valencia (100 miles away), condemned every aspect of the entire massive project, and issued a "stop" notice. The following day everyone was back at work as normal, on the instructions of the Construction Company...all the workers are immigrants, cash-in-hand, so no work means no pay.

The Conpmay may or may not get taken to court, but if they do there's a four year wiating list, By then they'll have finished the porject, got paid, and dissolved the Company, so there'll be no Company to answer the charges.

Now, to Northern Europeans, steeped in their culture of "if its the law, then we/you must do it", this'll be a total horror story.

But down here. people actively dislike laws.

Their cultural values are far more about the family, and doing the best that you can, any way that you can.

The general view was that the guys who got killed were stupid, and should have taken more care themselves; and them being stupied should not stop everyone else working and earning.

So, there you have it.

Yes it is fitted to the aft side but this does come under French regs. They also fit hoses with low flow. Thus if they split it trips a valve next to the bottle. Once owning one of these (this is our second one) the PX is far better than all our previous MH's Hymer lost a fortune, auto trail not quite so much and the Bessacarr lost a little less the Georgie boy I'm sure i gave that away. So what I'm saying is yes it is costly but the back up is the most impressive and a good experience, by Hayes and the factory. Comparing the price to Hymer i feel we do OK financially in comparison.

Den - 2008-12-30 7:55 PM

this does come under French regs. They also fit hoses with low flow. Thus if they split it trips a valve next to the bottle.

The 'valve-tripping/low-flow hoses' system you refer to is Truma's SecuMotion product that's already been mentioned in this thread and is fitted as standard to many modern motorhomes. It's those pesky "French regs" that you touch on that I'm keen to know full details of.

..................................................................................................................

There was a Truma gizmo in the past that could be fitted next to a gas-bottle's supply-valve. This device would automatically shut off the gas supply when the motorhome's engine was started and, when the engine was stopped, a button on the device's remote control-panel needed to be deliberately pressed for the gas-supply to be re-connected. However, the Truma gadget still had no effect on the bottle's own supply-valve and, in an accident that involved the device becoming detached from the gas-bottle, there was still nothing to prevent the gas from gushing out of the bottle.

I've never attempted to hide the fact that I don't normally turn off my gas-bottle before driving my motorhome, but I've never claimed that this is a good practice and I've never encouraged anybody else to do the same. I readily accept libby's argument that not turning off the bottle is potentially dangerous in the event of an road accident or if a fault develops in the motorhome's gas system while the vehicle is travelling.

I also accept that this potential danger is avoidable and, to avoid it, all I need do is follow libby's good example and always turn off the bottle before I drive. That I choose not to do this is a) because I find it convenient to leave the gas-bottle 'open' and b) because I believe leaving the bottle open while I drive the motorhome is not illegal.

I don't defend my actions and, as far as I'm concerned, whatever neat shut-off valves or specialised regulators are installed between gas-bottle and motorhome gas-system, none of these will be provide the same level of 'en route' security as turning off the gas-bottle's own valve.

What I've tried to do is establish to my own satisfaction whether or not there is a legal requirement anywhere in the EC to turn off a motorhome's gas-bottles before driving the vehicle. If there is a legal imperative to do this in certain EC countries, then I shall undoubtedly turn my bottle off if I visit those countries: if there isn't, then I'll continue to leave the bottle open.

To date, nothing I've been told or read convinces me that any EC country has legislation that obliges a gas-bottle in a motorhome to be turned off before the vehicle is driven and this belief is supported by my own (admittedly limited) research.

If I'm mistaken in this belief, then I really want to be corrected as, if I'm wrong, then I'm plainly exposing myself to additional risks (prosecution, insurance implications, etc.) besides the self-evident safety one.

Thanks BDG for that, basically a directive only becomes law once the country makes it so.

Derek

from BDG's explaination, you will need to discover which member states have moved to make the directive, that Truma state that their secumatic system allows gas to be on whilst travelling, law. Travelling with the gas on without a secumatic or similar sytem fitted would then be illegal.

Obviously some member states may already have laws that forbid travelling with the gas on, if there is such a state can you plead that you are conforming to an european directive if fitted with secumatic???

Would your insurance company expect you to be conforming to the directive?

@Derek Uzzel

the Directive 2004/78/EC is a basis for the type approval of motorhomes with lpg-heating systems in the EC. It says no LPG must be allowed to escape in case of an accident. This can be achieved technically or by turning of the bottle. If there is no technical provision (for example secu motion) motorhomes in Germany have to be equipped with a sticker near the gas bottle telling you to turn off the bottle when the vehicle is moving. This applies only for new motorhomes and I dont know of any legal consequences if you dont follow the instructions and leave the bottle on.

As far as refrigerators are concerned, there is a safety warning in the thetford- manual never to operate the fridge while driving, dometic refers to national regulations. Peronally I think if the manufacturers and technical standards recommend to turn of the gas bottle it is wise to do so.

Roamer & Ollybear:

Thanks for the replies.

I've got Operating/Installation Instructions for SecuMotion. These contain a Declaration of Conformity statement that says:-

"The Truma-SecuMotion gas regulator complies with the pressure-device directive 97/23/EC under application of EN 12864/D and the directive 2004/78/EC exhibit VII 'Safety Requirements for LPG-Operated Combustion Heating Devices'"

The instructions also state:-

"Throughout Europe, a type-tested liquefied-gas heating system may be used while driving (according to the EU directive 2001/56/EC) if the system includes a regulator with an appropriately configured gas installation."

Within Truma's leisure-product listing is an entry for SecuMotion generally repeating the above information, adding that this type of system is "mandatory from 2007 onwards for operating liquid gas heaters while driving".

None of this, however, bears on what I'm trying to establish. SecuMotion and the EC Directives that are quoted apply specifically to LPG-fuelled vehicle heating systems that obviously need gas-containers to be turned on to function. But I don't intend to operate any gas appliance while driving and, in such circumstances, I really don't see what post-2007 heater-related legislation has to do with LPG bottles being turned on or off when operation of gas appliances is not involved.

the EC Directives that are quoted do not only apply specifically to LPG-fuelled vehicle heating systems but also to the LPG supply system. The supply system must be designed that no uncontrolled release due to an accident can occur (irrespective whether the heating is in operation or not.)

I wonder whether there is a directive for vehicles that only have a cooker or fridge with gas operation and no heating system. Maybe it is okay then to leave the bottle open ??

Bottle open or closed--Happy New Year!!

derek

to quote

"The Truma-SecuMotion gas regulator complies with the pressure-device directive 97/23/EC"

Having searched for details of this directive, I understand it is relating to the safe movement of dangerous substances under pressure throughout the EC. I therfore conclude that it is only safe to move gas cylinders closed, unless they are fitted with safety cut-off devices. This directive is independent of the gas heating whilst in motion. Devices such as secumotion are necessary to limit the amount of the gas that can escape if the pipes (high or low pressure) rupture when the cylinder is not closed. Obviously such items must be installed if the gas heater (designed for the purpose) is to be used when travelling.

Roamer:

I had looked at internet references to 97/23/EC but judged that it wasn't relevant to whether or not a motorhome's gas-bottles have to be closed while a vehicle is being driven. I particularly noted that the Directive came into full force in 2002. This was before I contacted Truma and the Caravan Club for advice about using a gas-heater while driving and well before SecuMotion came on the market in 2005.

.......................................................................................................................

Earlier on ollybear mentioned gas-operation advice from manufacturers of 3-way fridges. My 2004 Dometic manual says:

"If the refrigerator is operated during travel using gas, the precautions stipulated by the legislation in the respective country must be taken (in conformity with the European standard EN 732).

Operating the refrigerator with gas is not permitted during travel in France and Australia.

As a basic rule, operation using gas is prohibited in petrol stations."

(EN 732 deals with "Specifications for dedicated liquefied petroleum gas appliances. Absorption refrigerators".)

It would appear from the above that Dometic's understanding in 2004 was that, with the exception of certain countries or in specific situations, a fridge could legally be operated using gas during travel, and to do this would plainly have required gas-containers to have been 'open'.

I'd like to take what ollybear said about motorhomes with no heating system and push the idea a bit further...

Let's imagine Santa Claus brought me a brand-new motorhome for Xmas. I'd written to him about this and asked for the motorhome's air/water heating and the kitchen-hob to be diesel-fuelled and for the fridge to be a 12V compressor unit. But I've said that I'd still like a small gas-locker to hold a single LPG canister that would be connected to an exterior gas-point in the vehicle's bodywork to allow me to run a gas-fuelled barbecue. I won't be barbecuing a lot, so there's no great inconvenience involved in having the gas-bottle's supply-valve closed at all times except for the short periods when the barbecue is being used. (No SecuMotion system is fitted, just a single 30mbar bulkhead-mounted regulator.)

Now let's suppose that I'm touring in France and I've been using the barbecue but, in a moment of forgetfulness, I fail to shut the gas-bottle's valve afterwards. I drive off the next morning and, after a couple of kilometres, suddenly think to myself "Drat - I forgot to shut off the gas-bottle." I stop the motorhome, close the gas-bottle's valve and continue driving. The question is - during that two kilometres was I breaking any EC or French regulation and, if so, what is the reference of the regulation and what does it say? I believe there is no such regulation, but I'd like to know for certain.

As I'd already done a fair bit of exploration when I initially posted to this thread, I doubted that a 'Yes there is a regulation: this is its reference and this is what it says' reply would turn up, but you never know your luck. I can't find anything useful about this via GOOGLE, however I phrase the search or whatever language I use, which suggests there's nothing there to find. I might try a French forum as, if there is a bottles-off law, it's probably going to be a French one - otherwise I think it's time to call it a day.

My previous van (Arto) specifically stated that I could drive the van with the gas on in Germany and any other country that did not specifically ban the practice. It also stated that I had to abide by any other restrictions such as tunnels and petrol stations.

My current Hymer manual is silent on the practice.

One suggestion that fauty Truma regulators could be due to the gas being left on touched a nerve as I had 3 new regulators in just over a year with my Hymer (I left the gas on). I have sinced changed to stainless steel (fitted by Brownhills at cost price and no labour charge) without a problem.

I tend to travel with mine off now simply because I use my van for days out as much as weeks away and thus tend to visit petrol stations more often as I keep the fuel level as low as practicable.

Brock's reference to motorhome manuals prompted me to check the two I've got.

One booklet is an English-language Hobby User Manual that relates to 2004-model Fiat-based motorhomes. I was provided with it when I collected my Ford-based 'van from Germany in 2005 as, at the time, there was no in-English manual for Transit Hobby designs.

In the Gas chapter there is a gas-supply section within which is a paragraph headed "The following applies to stop valves and valves". This continues "All of the taps on gas devices must be shut while driving. The only exception is for taps for heating devices that are to be used while driving". The manual is clearly a straight translation of the German original, so it's logical to assume that this advice applies to using the motorhome within Germany.

The second manual relates to Pilote motorhomes and was given to me by that company after I had asked (in 2001) whether it was possible to use the Truma C-Series gas-heaters fitted to Pilote motorhomes while the vehicle was being driven. What I had actually wanted to know was whether the electrical system fitted by Pilote permitted the heater to be used en route - what Pilote advised me was that using the gas-heater en route was not permitted in France.

Intriguingly, having dug out the old Pilote booklet - a French/English/German publication - I find in the gas-related part of the French section a 'Remarque' that says "Fermer les robinets de tous les appareils de chauffage fonctionnant au gaz sauf ceux des appareils de chauffage conçus pour fonctionner durant les déplacements." This advice is translated in the manual's English section as "Turn off the taps on all heating appliances run by gas except those designed to run during travel."

The apparent implication of this advice seems to contradict what Pilote told me originally and what I understood to be the case in France. It may (or may not) be significant that, although Pilote's manual describes the gas-bottle installation and how to change the bottles, there is no mention of having to turn the bottles off before driving the motorhome.

I have just read the handbook for our Auto-Trail and under the section headed 'Pre-Load Checklist' it quite clearly states "Ensure gas bottles are correctly positioned, secured and turned off."

BUT then under 'Final Checklist' it states "Turn off all gas appliances, except those heating appliances designed to function while the vehicle is in motion." but then later on says that "Heaters should be switched off while the vehicle is in motion."

I therefore take it that A-T are recommending bottles be turned off while travelling.

As a final comment I do normally turn them off when travelling, unless only for a short distance when I know I will need gas soon after.

So the question still remains.... is it legal to travel with bottles on?

Keith.

Archived