American RV's

Guest Pol Emique

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I'm not familiar with any Scottish bards, except Billy Connoly, here's some good advice from Joni Mitchell in 1969. It's time farmer Jones put away the DDT and started thinking of the birds and bees But, don't it always seem to go you don't know what you've got till it's gone.... the day paradise put up a parking lot. and the parking lot won't take long to fill up if there's no opposition to the generalisation of 30' plus motorhomes and suv's. In europe especially, they are an unsuitable, egocentric means of transport.(and it's not just me that's saying it) Pol

I personally think you should applaud people who use 40' RVs in this country just think of the pollution that they are saving!!! After all the cost of our fuel and the limited distances that can be travelled in this country surely mean that these 40' Rv's do less mileage/pollution than if they were in the USA? Therefore a good thing is it not? Anyway the dollars getting weaker again so who wants to come to the states to buy some a tacky RV?? Coil

Guest Mr A Ng-Rie
For gawd's sake stop incoraging pol. arnt you all sick by now of his half baked purile ramblings and simplistick theries? i know i am!!!!!

I know I said that this was my last say on this matter earlier but Pol has proved it he is fake can't even put his real name to his dictatorial ramblings he is a phoney hiding behind some name that means nothing to us normal human beings! So what if a few people want to drive around in over 30' RV's its a free country and as for polluting the atmosphere I don't think as much as the poorer countries of the EU who are well behind most of us in implementing EU policies re: waste and recycling!! Yes Neal is right this is bordering on fascism who are you to dictate the size of a motorhome or RV? Intrestling enough it's stange that you did not reply to Clive as to what or if you actually owned a motorhome at all. I think that you are a wind up merchant who is jealous of big RV's because you can't really afford one and hence all the claptrap about the environment and how they have to travel on motorways only!! All of your comments have really made me think of going out and buying the largest RV I can just to spite your totaly biased view of them! It's a shame that it is illegal to import a 43' wide bodied RV!! But You will never stop people enjoying themselves in their recreational persuits , and long may it remain so until Adolf returns!!!!!!! Your discustedlty at

Forum - 'a medium, such as a newspaper, an Internet newsgroup,etc,where views may be aired and debated.' The New Penguin English Dictionary.

Guest Brian Ramsden
Surely you have realised that "Pol" was a plant from Greenpeace to coincide with the coming into force of the Kyoto Accord. I see from yesterdays paper it has already had its first effect - electricity prices going up by 30% as a result. Where will it end, and all based on dodgy science!

Yes, the timing was great wasn't it? But, no,I'm not a Greenpeace plant, though I am a longterm Greenpeace member. Where will the effects of the 'Kyoto Accord ' end? In a long overdue mea culpa in the over privileged, highly polluting first world countries and a subsequent, drastic reduction in greenhouse gases, we hope, before it's too late.

Please remember that the human race and everything they do is PART of nature. Its the NATURE of the beast to operate that way. We ARE NATURES WAY. So you cannot say we (the human rare, wherever in the world it resides) is destroying nature. Nature continues to evolve using the materials and brain power bestowed upon us from the almighty. Personally I prefer it warmer and make sure I live on a hill.

Oh dear Clive, I didn't realise you were a creationist. 'It's in the nature of things' 'It's god's will' etc, hold little truck with me. Be serious.

I think I've found the explanation for your reluctance to acknowledge the seriousness of the developing global climate crisis. You are blocked in the 'reactive denial' stage. This means that, hiding behind that old free pass to anti social behaviour - 'freedom of choice'- you are continuing to defend your right to buy and drive excessively large vehicles, because, by doing this you are proving to yourselves that it's possible to use these large gas guzzlers, without an immediately discernable adverse effect, thereby proving to yourselves that there can't be a problem. George Bush won't admit it, but Tony Blair (this country's leader, after all) has identified climate change as 'the single most important issue we face as a global community'. The main cause of climate change is the production of carbon dioxide. SUV's, HGV's, RV's and very large motorhomes, use large amounts of fuel. The fastest growing source of carbon dioxide in Britain is transport. Emissions increased by 50% between 1990 and 2002. Flying accounts for most of this, but another reason is that the market for large vehicles has more than doubled in this period. I own a recent, catalytic converter equipped motorhome - (under 20', 24 miles per gallon), which I find perfectly adequate for transporting and sleeping four people. For the time being, everyone is free to opt for the lifestyle of their choice, but the least we can ask is that they should be aware of the environmental impact their choice is having. So please, for everyones sake, try and transcend the 'reactive denial' stage you are blocked in.

Guest Brian Ramsden
Is that the same Tony blair that identified the weapons of mass destruction as a serious problem in Iraq? He must be even less credible than the Greenpeace website!

As Prescot has at least 2 Jags, how many cars do you think Blare has. (Thats is not a typing mistake either). The "Green" image will go by the Autumn, but by then he will already have had your vote. But not mine! Oh ye of little faith in mankind!

Guest Neal Farrow
Pol Until the issue of flying is addressed worldwide and reduced to ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL trips only, in the smallest, most practical aircraft, it matters nothing what size vehicle you, me or anyone else drives for the rest of our lives. We could all drive 40' RV's around the clock and we wouldn't equal the emmisions from one airline's traffic in one week. I will say it again, you are right IN THEORY, but in practical terms, way off the mark. When the world's airlines get into line I promise to sell (give away?) my meager 28' RV which, incidentally, does 18mpg, not much worse than your 24mpg. Now, perhaps you will kindly address your concerns to the airline industry because you don't seem to be having any effect here. If you want to change things pick on something that will have a real effect and not us, who, whatever you may think, will have no effect whatsoever.

Its not THEORY its a hypothesis and I for one am not convinced! Much bigger environmental changes have taken place over thousands of years previously, our present situation is mearly a small blip. As I said i am not convinced! My motorhome is nearer 24 to the gallon of gasoil. My motorcycle nearer 150 to the gallon of petrol. Anyway, If we sell the motorhome the alternative holidays will involve lots of air travel. Which is environmentally more acceptable to sir Pol?

Guest POL (Gavin)
I really can't think of anything else to write, to try and convince you of the need to at least admit that our hobby (I say ours because I own and very much enjoy running a motorhome too) is ecologically suspect. The least we can do is limit its impact. I refer you back to my analysis (post 61) of your (especially Brian's) refusal to admit that global warming is a reality. My name is Gavin, if this makes any difference to you. Clive, Pat Brian, Neal or whatever;on the web a name doesn't identify anyone anyway.

Pol (or Gavin) Limiting our effect towards global warming will be like comparing a leaf falling from a tree in Britain to the Asian earthquake and subsequent tsunami on Boxing Day last year. There is no correlation. Carry on camping and be guilt-free.

I knew a Gavin once. Was a radio DJ and Gavin was not his real name eithe. It was Patric Flynn. But he never sounded like a paddy. I also found out I knew some of his relations as I worked with one. Surely its not you - No - It can't be?? Clive isn't hiding behind a first name. Details are in the Mag if you look. We shall be at most of the Warners Shows if you need an eyeball of the oposition. Neal will probably be my second!

Digging deeper into the subject - research. As I'm not engaged in a 'reactive denial' process, (see post 61) my mind is able to cope with new evidence, even if, like 'my opponents' I'd much rather not face the facts. Having no political or moral consience must make life very easy for you all!

Archived