Whats wrong with my silly van

michele

Hi all,

Anyone care to shed some light on my VW Caravell it seems to have a problem with exceleration . We changed the Air Mass Meter but no good damm thing don't seem to want to go .

What else could it be thats stopping it it just feels like its slow and sluggish and dont seem to want to do any sort of speed .

If you were to put your foot down in first gear it seems to of arrived at its top speed in first in seconds and wont let you excelerat any futher .

Can it have something wrong with its Turbo part ? do they go wrong ,is there such a thing its driving us mad .

We were thinking of having made in to our Motability vehicle with wheelchair access dont seem any point if its no good .

Its a T reg and we know its old but its been a good vehicle up till now and now it just seems it has this prob with excelleration .

can you offer any suggestions before we get ripped off at VW Loughton .

Thanks Guys & Gals

It can be caused by quite a number of things, the cheapest way in the long run is to get it hooked up to a diagnostic M/c , I'd phone around to Independant garages as well as VW ones and get a quote for diagnosing the fault.Then how you get it fixed is up to you. :D

Turbo boost not kicking in could be faulty turbo, hoses, intercooler, blockage somewhere, electronics not allowing proper fueling or in "limp home" mode, pump timing out, injector (s) faulty, bad fuel (it happens), stuck or bent valves, exhaust blocked, accelerator pedal not giving actual full throttle, blocked air filter, plus any one of the sensors that are (or might be) fitted.

And that's just a start, it might be binding brakes, a transmission fault, and so on.

First thing to do is take it to someone with the VAG COM diagnostic machine, and ask for a report.

Geoff

From my limited experience - it sounds possibly like the turbo hose could be lose - this happened on our Rapido once and it was an immediate loss of power and we couldn't get above 30 or so from what I recall so as already suggested, this would be the first thing I'd check, then I'd follow it by getting the waste gate valve checked to see if it's stuck and could be keeping the engine at a lower speed to 'protect' it.

Sounds a bit of an old vehicle to be converting though Michele ... :-|

Guest peter
How long since the Fuel Filter was changed?. You'd be surprised at how much crud you can get in Diesel fuel. Had same problem on my boat and Filter was full of crud.

I seem to remember hearing of a case where the inner liner of a turbo hose was coming adrift from the outer. It was ok on tickover, but when under load the liner was pulled away and the hose was effectively blocked. Because it was happening out of sight, as it were, the fault took a long time & many component part changes, to discover.

It's a bit of a long shot, but worth considering.

bob b - 2009-04-27 10:53 PM

I seem to remember hearing of a case where the inner liner of a turbo hose was coming adrift from the outer. It was ok on tickover, but when under load the liner was pulled away and the hose was effectively blocked. Because it was happening out of sight, as it were, the fault took a long time & many component part changes, to discover.

Absolutely right Bob, and the clue to the model affected is in your last word ........y. I know because I was the engineer who diagnosed the failure mode, a pin hole in the liner causing pressure to build up between the layers when on boost which ballooned the inner layer as soon as the boost was backed off. The engine ran fine at tickover and low revs but lost all power and belched out black smoke when under load.

Michele,

Does you van belch out smoke when it's struggling?

Keith.

Hi Michele,

Start up the motorhome and go to the back of the motorhome. Get someone to rev up the engine and check to see if much of a blast is coming out of the back. Check also to see if the exhaust gas is very hot or just warm also if black spots are coming out of the exhaust pipe.

If you look up the engine No, and send me a PM I will be able to help you further,

Regards,

Brendan.

Hi guys ,

Thanks one and all for all the replies .

Brendan its not my M/Home thank god its my run around bums on seats van a VW Caravell .

I have managed to remove the air filter dont ask ,though it looks ever so ever so clean this cant be right service with oil filter changed last Dec .Anyway took it for a quick jog to see what would happen nothing its still the same. its had a new air mass meter made no difference smoke does not and never has come out of it . It does poodle along very well just has no poke .

I am going to print this off and take it to the garage with me and give to my friend for suggestion. It never rains but pours I have just got back from another garage with the Volvo which has a silly message reading engine management system . These things are sent to try us never mind hopefully it will be done tomorrow.

Thanks again peeps .

Archived