Breaking and Entering

mirage

Hope this might give food for thought rather than worry anyone!

Just had a very enjoyable trip to S of France (yes even in our Peugeot X250 - drove superbly) only fly in the ointment was the whatnames who broke into our bungalow. No mess and nothing taken, all the personal info, computer, car keys and small valuables were well hidden, our friends tidied up, just a window lock to replace and a catch.

Be warned if you have UPVC Windows the alloy window catches into which the locking pin locates can be very EASILY broken simply by levering with a screw driver, particularily on older windows, they need additional interior locks. They could`nt enter or leave through our UPVC Doors, came in the front window and out through the back, needless to say we consider ourselves lucky, house will be like Fort Knox by the next trip away.

We had an alarm fitted to our house 5 years ago when we bought the m/h and started going away regularly. We had some scummy neighbours at the time and every now and then I used to set it off deliberately just to remind eveyone that it does work! They`ve moved now but I think it`s a good investment. A visible, flashing light on a burglar alarm panel is usually a deterent.

We had the same when we were away in 2006, sad thing is that we did not notice anything missing imeadiatey, the fact is not very much was taken, but I now take a photograph of each room before we leave so we would be able to miss things straight away.

We have an alarm but we are very suspicious that it was someone we know, as no personnal belongings were taken including some of Sue's jewlery. But they did take keys which meant I had to get new keys for my car and the house locks replaced :'( . So now all keys are hidden.

Regards Pat

Pat - 2009-06-28 9:59 AM

We had the same when we were away in 2006, sad thing is that we did not notice anything missing imeadiatey, the fact is not very much was taken, but I now take a photograph of each room before we leave so we would be able to miss things straight away.

We have an alarm but we are very suspicious that it was someone we know, as no personnal belongings were taken including some of Sue's jewlery. But they did take keys which meant I had to get new keys for my car and the house locks replaced :'( . So now all keys are hidden.

Regards Pat

Have you thought that everything was stolen and replaced with exact replica's?? (taken from Stephen Wright, US comedian)

Sorry to hear that the end of your holiday was marred by this event.

We decided to put a back gate in this year, so that a friend could get in and water the garden whilst we are away rather than going through the house. It's not that we didn't trust our friend, but it makes it safer for them knowing that should anything happen we aren't going to think well did they set the alarm properly etc.

I have a feeling that this is going to become a more of a problem what with the economic position. Or is it that it will be used as the excuse for the criminals to try and wriggle out of what they do anyway.

tonyishuk - 2009-06-30 7:28 PM

I know its not PC, but the little bu**er got what he deserved :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/5698062/Burglar-left-bruised-and-bleeding-by-retired-boxer-72.html

Rgds

I agree, it's not pc but neither is breaking into someone else's property. I personally believe that anyone comitting a crime for goes their human rights and anything to do with being pc when they make that first step in the crime.

I hope I'm not shot down for saying this but come on where is the rights for the victims of crime - isn't that more pc?

When we moved into our present bungalow the last lady forgot to tell us the code for the alarm, having been given the keys from the estate agent we stepped into the hall and the 18 second buzzer started followed by the alarm which was deafening.Wondering what to do when another person stepped ino the hall, it was a policeman. Had to call the alarm people who kept the service going before it stopped. However what about the policeman , he said happened to be in locality .

duetto owner - 2009-07-01 5:57 PM

if you have UPVC windows check the fitter put the beading on the inside some divvy fitters put it on the outside and the tealeaf just needs to use a penknife to open the beading and lift the glass out.

It's not the fitters fault, it's the design of the window, the fitter can only fit them as they were designed.

A lot of older uPVC frames were indeed glazed from outside and the glass could easily be removed. If in doubt ask your local glazing company to check for you.

Keith.

Archived