Saga vs Safeguard

kelly58

My motorhome renewal is due shortly so been doing the usual " ring round " renewal with safeguard £369 less £25 cash back because I have been with them for 2years£345.      Saga £270.00 for same cover which includes European Breakdown excesses are on parr all other companies I rang were a lot more with higher excesses

Has anyone had any  "bad " experience with Saga or are they as good as they say they are ?

I have just switched to Saga and saved over £50 (even when you add the cost of the AA UK/European breakdown/recovery at around £70 which may be included "free" in other policies). On paper (have just received the full documentation) it looks a good policy and includes "extras" which were not standard on my previous Safeguard and Caravan Guard policies (such as ability to drive another vehicle for myself and named driver - third party, anyone else covered to drive the vehicle in an emergency, no loss of NCD for damage caused by vandals ...).

I have to admit to being a little surprised with the cost as in previous years they have always been more expensive.

Not had the need to test them yet - hope I never will.

Clive

I have Saga insurance, and whilst price is important as has been noted, value for money comes into it as well.

The other thing I like is that they are nice people to deal with, when you ring them up they seem to know what they are doing and are pleasant and efficient. I wish the same could be said for some other insurance companies!

Note for SAGA, send any discount vouchers to my home address!

Geoff

I discussed Motorhome cover when I used Saga for my car insurance.

One useful point that may not be well known is the reduction in cost when the van is laid up for Winter.

For any full months that the van is idle, you only pay 25% of the monthly premium and you get 3rd party cover. This could save quite a bit of money for some people.

We are with Saga and have had an accident on 13th March. A Frenchman drove into the motorhome in March, while we were indicating right to go onto a layby/picnic area. The weather was good and with a motorhome built like a brick how could he not see it. However, he didn't fill in the correct form (he was about 85 and very shocked by the accident) so the French insurance company don't want to settle. A company called Acromas are dealing with the claim on behalf of Saga and to date it is still not settled. The motorhome has also just come back from the coachworks. I'd add a photo but I've tried and tried but can't do it.

As a result the quote for our renewal has gone up considerably.

We had our motorhome vandalised in Holland and found Safeguard very good, even though they don't have to 'nominate' repairers (as car insurance companies do), the chap did help us to locate suitable repairers.

We had no problem with them paying out and our premium did not go up much at all, it is still a heck of a lot cheaper than yours Kelly so it might be worth going back to them to double check it and also ask them to 'price match'. When ours was last up for renewal we got a cheaper quote which wasn't quite as good as the Safeguard policy and they came within £10 of it, which was good enough for us.

Minstrel - I would check why they are hiking up your renewal premium as this wasn't our experience when we had made a claim.

kelly58 - 2009-11-24 1:39 PM

My motorhome renewal is due shortly so been doing the usual " ring round " renewal with safeguard £369 less £25 cash back because I have been with them for 2years£345.      Saga £270.00 for same cover which includes European Breakdown excesses are on parr all other companies I rang were a lot more with higher excesses

Has anyone had any  "bad " experience with Saga or are they as good as they say they are ?

If you tell Safeguard they will match it .I got 50 off for saying about this forum and the fact I had mentioned them ,he claims its good publicity .

rowley - 2009-11-24 6:37 PM

CCC were very expensive on last quote whereas the CC came in at under £200.

that's odd

My renewal with Safeguard is due and has gone up by £40 to about £380 but we have changed to a new van and had a minor prang in the old one last year but we won't need breakdown cover as the new van has Fiat Camper Assistance for two years.

Comfort have quoted £265 and CC £430 !!

I don't think Safeguard offer insurance without breakdown cover.

will have to do some more research.

Steve

Hi

We insured our motorhome through Saga having rung around for a lot of quotes and comparing various cover available. I was slightly disturbed when I found that because we had never owned a motorhome before We were not entitled to the 25% discount quoted. However we then discussed our car insurance , also due for renewal at teh same time. saga came in nearly £100 cheaper than More Than (who I had thought were very competitive) I signed up for the motor policy then, because I was an existing customer, I was able to get a loyalty discount on the motorhome insurance greater than the original 25%! my wifes car insurance was up for renewal at the end of October, Saga £60 cheaper than existing insurer, equivalent or better cover. Many of my friends wish they were over 50 to take advantage of saga's rates!

Bob

Hi

We had to claim on Saga travel insurance just over 5 years ago after my wife was diagnosed with a serious illness and had to go into hospital for an urgent op a week before due to fly to NZ. As a result of the hassle, slow response etc we will not be insuring with them again.

Peter

We had a claim with Saga some years ago after a water leak in the house damaged a load of stuff.

They were at great pains to be sure we had claimed for all the damaged items, all handled very well and settled promptly.

I should possibly add that it was in the days when they were an independent company.

Stuart

If like me you are still working and use your van occasionally to commute , like I sometimes have to, then saga will not cover you.

We have been with Safegurd for about 6 years and unfortunately have had 2 accidents which have been dealt with super efficiently with no hike up on our next years payment (protected no claims).

We were told we are allowed 3 claims in 5 years before our protected no claims would become void so hoping there are no more slip ups.

Must say AS SOMEONE WHO HAS MADE CLAIMS WITH sAFEGUARD i AM RELUCTANT TO LEAVE THEM AS THEIR SERVICE HAS BEEN EXCELLENT.

Chris

Hi been with Saga for years and have yet to find anyone better because if you get a flier and is cheaper than Saga they will then match it.

But 747 are you sure about the reduction on the van? the car yes we get 75% refund when off road as you only need fire and theft cover but a couple of years back they did not do it on the 'van, will ring them today and ask.

The car certificate is returned to them as it is suspended and being in Folkestone I hand deliver it on the way to Dover as the refund starts the day they receive it so I get a few and maybe more than a few extra days with our post system.

Had a slight prang 3 years ago no problem whatso ever, was told to contact my choice of repairers and they will deal with the rest.

:-) :-)

chris - 2009-11-24 11:25 PM

If like me you are still working and use your van occasionally to commute , like I sometimes have to, then saga will not cover you.

We have been with Safegurd for about 6 years and unfortunately have had 2 accidents which have been dealt with super efficiently with no hike up on our next years payment (protected no claims).

We were told we are allowed 3 claims in 5 years before our protected no claims would become void so hoping there are no more slip ups.

Must say AS SOMEONE WHO HAS MADE CLAIMS WITH sAFEGUARD i AM

RELUCTANT TO LEAVE THEM AS THEIR SERVICE HAS BEEN EXCELLENT.

The mans right, same for us, wont leave them they dealt with everything promptly ,you gets what you pay for.

Michele.

TeePee - 2009-11-25 4:06 PM 747 If you only have third party cover what if your van is vandalised or you suffer any other damage such as an electrical fire or act of god, just a thought!

Then you lose!  Third party cover is just that, cover against loss or injury caused by your vehicle to others or their property.  Damage to your vehicle, however caused, is not covered.  It's not rocket science!  :-)

There is one big issue missing from this string so far: the cover provided for the premium.  Most posters seem to have focused on the price, but no-one has mentioned the scope of cover.  If you stay in UK, that may be fine, though close reading of the exclusions would always be wise.  However, if you are considering travelling outside the UK, you really do need to read very carefully. 

This becomes even more critical if you are proposing to travel to the newer EEC accession states, or to Croatia or Bosnia, or overland to Greece.  Some countries aren't covered by some companies, some will only extend the cover with a Green Card and for an additional premium, and some impose limits on the time you can spend in particular countries. 

Croatia is a popular destination, but it is not in the EEC, and is not automatically included in the territorial limits for all policies.  If you want to get to Dubrovnik, you'll either have to take a short ferry ride, or Cross a bit of Bosnia, and very few companies will cover you for Bosnia on any basis.

Despite all this, I have met people who, from what they told me, were (or had been) unintentionally uninsured.  Their error had been to assume that because they could drive to somewhere, their insurance would follow.  Well, it doesn't!  Do check before you buy.

Oh yes, and if you buy over the 'phone, do remember the person on the other end will probably be on commission, and will say "yes" to almost anything you say.  Ask for a written quote, with a sample of the full policy document, before you decide to buy.  Check what is stated, and make sure all details you gave are correctly noted down.  Make sure they correct any errors (in writing), and ensure that any unusual characteristics of your vehicle, or specific destinations, are recorded.  If you are unlucky when travelling, the last thing you want to hear when you contact the insurer, is that your proposal didn't include what you are doing, or where you are.  Then all you have is the record of the telephone conversation you made when you bought the insurance - if they can find it!!  Cynic?  Who, me?  Nooooooooo!  :-)

chris - 2009-11-24 11:25 PM

Chris - are you SURE you are covered for commuting with Safeguard? We're not as we were told they don't include it! 8-)

Mel I hope I am covered. Will double check but the office is closed now. I know we never went with Saga because of work travel and I would have triple checked safeguard but I will check.

MIchelle Sorry but I am female (lol)

Brian I totally agreee. Price of insurance is no bargain if you have not got the cover you require when claiming.

Chris

Hi Teepee,

I believe it is third party fire and theft but at my age I could be mistaken. Sorry, what was I saying?

I believe that a Saga customer was going to ring them up to confirm exactly what the position is, so we should all find out shortly.

Archived