Bike Security

alan

On the thread 'parking in Calais', concerns were starting to arise about bike safety. I am paranoid about my beloved bikes and a lot of us carry bikes of some sort, whether they be scooters, pedal cycles or, in our case, electric cycles. We carry two bikes, both chained together with high security locks and then both bikes chained to the main frame of a Fiamma bike rack. The whole lot is then covered with a plastic bike cover with bungie ropes holding on the warning triangle (I did say I was paranoid!). Judgemental's comments started to worry me - does anybody take their bikes off and fasten them to the chassis? Mel B's comment about them not being fastened to an immovable object really worried me. What's the general opinion on bike security?

Incidentally, we've used the Calais aires a number of times and try to avoid parking against the wall at the back - it's a convenient alley for people to wander down. We always like to park in the middle where front and back are exposed.

Alan

Guest Tracker

One of the most effective ways to 'secure' bikes is to endeavour to park the van with the rear end tight against a wall or fence or similar immovable object.

Another good idea is to get the van's perimeter alarm system extended to include an external loop around the bike frames - and then remember to set it both when leaving the van and at night.

alan - 2009-11-25 7:28 PM

... and then both bikes chained to the main frame of a Fiamma bike rack.

Alan

Alan,

Don't forget that the whole Fiamma rack can be removed by undoing 2 nuts and then lifting it off it's mounts. It may be a bit heavy for 1 person but I'm sure 2 could do it if the pickings were worth it.

Is it worth considering a high security cable looped through the chassis and then up to the bikes?

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
I'm sorry but fiamma carriers are laughably insecure. a £ shop hacksaw would cut through the thin alloy in secs never mind minutes. we have a garage for our expensive e bikes, but I lock them together with high security "gold" locks through a chassis member/towing bracket when parked up outside van. if you have a few locks its east to loop one over a chassis bar and tie rap into place and then you can loop another easily through it from the bikes when necessary.....

Guest JudgeMental

I also have a loud anti tamper alarm on one bike as well. handy when nearby shopping/banking /library /restaurants etc....useless otherwise as who takes any notice of alarms these days *-)

none of this will deter the professional thief who will have the bike in under 5 minutes flat irrespective of how secure. the ones who do this have pro bolt croppers and hydraulic jacks etc have a look on you tube they will make you weep its so easy.

A garage (out of sight) and decent insurance is the only answer

Archived