Sprinter

dawki

Hi I am new to the forum.

I am looking buying a motorhome after 20 years without one.

I have seen an auto trail with the 07 sprinter chassis I have looked through some old threads here but have not really found anything about the sprinter.

Please could anybody give any info on this base vehicle or point me towards any old threads about the 07 sprinter

Thanks Dawki

Our present Sprinter is hauling along 6 tonnes of coachbuilt without problems. Its a 2.7 litre engine with 5 cylinders and a chain driven camshaft. No belt to fail OK!

Our previous van was also a Sprinter, the previous variant 2.9 litre but with 5 cylinders and again a chain driven camshaft. 11 years and 28K miles and no problems.

If the price is right then go for it.

c.

Dawki

According to Auto-Trail's 2007 brochure, their Mercedes-based models used a Sprinter 315 or 318 rear-wheel drive chassis with a wheelbase of 4250mm and a Maximum Gross Weight of 3880kg. Maximum Train Weight was 6300kg and maximum axle-loadings were 1650kg(front) and 2250kg(rear).

Motors were common-rail intercooled diesel with chain-driven camshafts - either 4-cylinder (315 chassis) with 150bhp/330Nm, or 6-cylnder (318 chassis) with 184bhp/400Nm. 6-speed gearbox. A 'torque-converter'-type automatic gearbox was an option.

Fuel-tank capacity 75 litres. Disk brakes (front and rear) + ABS. Tyre size 235/65 R16. Central locking, electric windows, electric/heated mirrors, removable cab carpets, etc. etc.

You'd need to watch out for payload capacity, as all 2007 Mercedes-based Auto-Trails were large and (based on the brochure) it appears that Auto-Trail only included the weights of a driver (75kg) and a 90%-full fuel tank when providing the Unladen Mass figure, making no allowance for fresh-water or gas.

The worst example was the 7.89m-long MB-318 Frontier Scout, with a stated Unladen Mass of 3545kg, leaving just 335kg for water, gas, passengers, luggage and accessories. (It may well be significant that fresh-water and waste-water tank sizes for MB models were a measly 86 litres and 45 litres respectively.)

If you use the forum's SEARCH facility (towards top right of screen below "Welcome, Dawki") and set Keywords=sprinter, Filter by author=Clive and Date limit=All posts, you should retrieve earlier Sprinter-related comments.

Many thanks for the response.

The van I am looking at is 696g, so should I be concerned about being able to carry a small moped + 2or3 push bikes plus a few bits in the garage without exceeding weight limits

There seems to be a question mark about the 2.2 engine in some of the old threads is 150BHP not enough?

are they much the same as the fiat on MPG

Hi Dawki,

We've just been to see a 696G on an 08 plate, it was a 316CDi Automatic and looked very nice from a chassis point of view but unfortunately the habitation side had been 'butchered' by a previous owner and was worth nowhere near the 45k the dealer was asking.

The garage was clearly marked as having a maximum load capacity of 150 kg so a small moped should be possible but be careful if you start adding push bikes and junk as well.

PS You can download all the recent years brochures including technical spec from the Auto-Trail website.

Keith.

Check with SV-Tec regarding a up plating. My guess is that there is some more to be had without doing anything physical to the vehicle. We have just had ours done, started at 5990 KG and they were happy to up rate it to 6400 KG.

Axle loads and gross train weight remain unchanged.

You can download a form from their web site, just fill in all the details you can and send it to them. I emailed it!

SV-Tech

Chandler House,

Talbot Road, Leyland

Lancashire

PR25 2ZF

(0) 1772 621800

I dealt with a Stephen Heap.

Good luck

Glad to see Autotrail have gone back to Mercs.

Nothing wrong with the sprinters! You find very little moaning going on because they are pretty reliable, and owners have nothing to moan about.

Only thing that may go is the gear linkage cable, which is no drama. Easily fixed for very little cost - go for the bigger engine...power to weight ratio. Will be easier to drive, more economical and won't leave you floundering on hills!

Hi again Dawki,

I totally agree with Rainbow Chasers comments, you will find very few moans from Sprinter owners 'cos they are that good. At times I think this Forum should be renamed the 'F**t Forum' due to the imbalance of postings!

Ours is a 2.2 litre 130 BHP and is more than adequate for most driving. We cruise around 65 to 70 mph on the motorway and have only found a couple of gradients on main roads forcing a downshift.

And don't ask about fuel consumption because I don't check it. We go where we want and when we want and put fuel in when it needs it. We didn't buy it to scrutinise costs, just to enjoy!

Buy it and get out and enjoy it!

Keith.

dawki - 2010-02-28 11:31 AM

...The van I am looking at is 696g...

Mass in Running Order for a 2007 Cheyenne 696G was quoted as 3285kg (315 chassis) or 3310kg (318 chassis).

If you are really concerned about payload limitations (and I think you should be with these large Auto-Trail Mercedes-based vehicles), then it would be wise to get the vehicle you are interested in weighed before you commit to buying it.

Well i brought the sprinter 696g on friday, drove the 75 miles home and must say it drove really really nice.

I spent the weekend have a good go through it, just a couple of things to get sorted but very happy and looking forward to its first outing

Hi Dawki,

Congratulations on buying your AT, time now to join the ATOC and then you can come along on the factory rally at the end of April and see how they're made, and have a good time thrown in as well. See the separate thread on the Factory rally for more info.

All the best,

Keith.

Just to be on the safe side, and because of some of the comments in this thread, consider getting it weighed. See my recent post on weight limits. I got a nasty shock when I had mine weighed.

Enjoy and welcome to the M/H fraternity

Mike

Sprinter and Crafter didn,t have the same engine. Merc was a chain driven camshaft and the Crafter used a toother rubber belt. Not sure if it remains the same today. Worth checking before you consider a crafter. Just undo the oil filler cap, you can see the chain on a Sprinter.

C.

Archived