Holts Tyreweld

John.N

Oops. Done it again!

In a recent thread about spare wheels for a Ford Transit I raised the question of the use of a can of Holts Tyreweld as an emergency 'get me to the nearest garage' measure. Unfortunately nobody replied then but perhaps someone can tell me whether they have used it successfully or whether there are any drawbacks involved.

I have used such a product in the past (not Holts).

It worked, but the tyre repairer said that he would not attempt a repair after I had used the sealant.

On another occasion, I had a blowout caused by a piece of metal slashing the sidewall and no amount of gunk would have helped there.

It is a spare wheel for me every time. ;-)

Guest Tracker

How long is it safe to rely on the sealing qualities of this stuff once it is in the tyre?

Is there a safety issue or a reliability issue?

If it seals a puncture is there any need to have it repaired or to replace the tyre or is it just the gunge maker's attempt to avoid legal proceedings if it fails, or the tyre fails with it in, over the longer term?

Excuse the ignorance as I've never used the stuff!

John,

Another thing you need to watch out for is that some of these 'spares in a can' have a maximum safe working pressure after use which is a long way below the 'normal' pressure used in M/H tyres.

I have heard of some as low 40psi which may be OK for a car but no use at all for a M/H.

As with everything else, read the instructions very carefully.

Keith.

spospe - 2010-03-25 5:38 PM

It worked, but the tyre repairer said that he would not attempt a repair after I had used the sealant.

On another occasion, I had a blowout caused by a piece of metal slashing the sidewall and no amount of gunk would have helped there.

I appreciate that it is no use in a case of major tyre damage but I would think that for a simple puncture it could be the answer. As to the question of a mechanic refusing to repair the tyre which had been treated, considering the labour charges, I would think that investing in a new tyre (which might be needed in the near future anyway) might be almost as cost effective as repairing an untreated tyre.

I have used such a product once, many moons ago. I picked up a puncture and rather than faff about changing the wheel in the dark and rain on the hard shoulder of the M1 I used the can. It worked! It sealed the puncture and inflated the tyre to a point where I could drive it at limited speed which I did to the next services, about 3 miles from memory. At the services I still couldn't be a**ed changing the wheel so I inflated the tyre to the correct pressure and continued my journey, albeit at reduced speed (I kept it down to 55 instead of my then normal 85). I never got round to having the puncture repaired and the tyre was still holding pressure two years later. I hasten to add that this is not good practice, if you use such a system then you really ought to get it repaired or replaced properly ASAP.

D.

P.s. this was in a car not a motorhome!

Keithl - 2010-03-25 5:56 PMJohn,Another thing you need to watch out for is that some of these 'spares in a can' have a maximum safe working pressure after use which is a long way below the 'normal' pressure used in M/H tyres.I have heard of some as low 40psi which may be OK for a car but no use at all for a M/H.As with everything else, read the instructions very carefully.Keith.

I may be wrong but I thought that the idea was that you put in the gunge, drive a few feet to swill it around, and then pump up the tyre to a suitable pressure using the foot pump that you really should carry if you're going to rely on this stuff?

I have Ultraseal in all four wheels of the motorhome at a cost of £65. The manufacturers claim that it will stop a puncture caused by a nail or a screw but not a sidewall split. I have had it in my two motorhomes and also my towed car. Fortunately I cannot gauge its effectiveness cos I have never had a puncture. Check out its website.

Ian

Guest Tracker
davenewell@home - 2010-03-25 6:56 PM

It sealed the puncture and inflated the tyre to a point where I could drive it at limited speed which I did to the next services, about 3 miles from memory. !

Much as I hate to contradict Dave - I thought the services were at Membury not memory?

GypsyTom - 2010-03-25 7:19 PM
Keithl - 2010-03-25 5:56 PMJohn,Another thing you need to watch out for is that some of these 'spares in a can' have a maximum safe working pressure after use which is a long way below the 'normal' pressure used in M/H tyres.I have heard of some as low 40psi which may be OK for a car but no use at all for a M/H.As with everything else, read the instructions very carefully.Keith.

I may be wrong but I thought that the idea was that you put in the gunge, drive a few feet to swill it around, and then pump up the tyre to a suitable pressure using the foot pump that you really should carry if you're going to rely on this stuff?
No GypsyTom, the point I was trying to make was that the manufacturer will not guarantee it sealing at any pressure above that quoted on the can.Keith.

On our Honda Accord (now gone) If I remember correctly the procedure was "Do not remove nail from tyre,partially inflate the tyre, drive a few yards (50?) inflate tyre to normal pressure (38psi) & drive to nearest garage not exceeding 50mph & should not exceed 50miles before permanent repair.

Not sure about Ultra weld or similar products, but a can of Holts for a motorhome tyre - No Way, for me.

Keithl - 2010-03-25 9:06 PM
GypsyTom - 2010-03-25 7:19 PM

No GypsyTom, the point I was trying to make was that the manufacturer will not guarantee it sealing at any pressure above that quoted on the can.Keith.

That's interesting as there must be different types. I nipped out earlier as my new Hobby 'van is on the drive. It has this system and the dealer told me about squirting in the gunge, driving a little and then inflating the tyre.

Having read my Hobby's instructions that's exactly what you do and they actually supply a 12v inflator.

Perhaps the difference is that my system does not blow up the tyre itself, it just puts in the gunge?

It would appear that the ones mainly being discussed here put the gunge in under pressure and also put in some air?

Guest Tracker

The one glaring no no about this is what seems to be having to drive a heavy van on a flat tyre to disperse the gunge before you can reinflate?

There is nothing more certain to ruin a good tyre than driving on it when flat and the future safety implications don't bear thinking about??

Tracker - 2010-03-26 10:20 AMThe one glaring no no about this is what seems to be having to drive a heavy van on a flat tyre to disperse the gunge before you can reinflate? There is nothing more certain to ruin a good tyre than driving on it when flat and the future safety implications don't bear thinking about??

Normally yes, but it does say that the vehicle should only be driven a few feet, simply to circulate the gunge.

With a total flat it's likely that it's already been driven in this condition before you are able to bring it to a halt, so would an extra few feet make a lot of difference?

I'm asking the question, not disagreeing by the way.

Guest JudgeMental
lookback - 2010-03-25 8:01 PM

I have Ultraseal in all four wheels of the motorhome at a cost of £65. The manufacturers claim that it will stop a puncture caused by a nail or a screw but not a sidewall split. I have had it in my two motorhomes and also my towed car. Fortunately I cannot gauge its effectiveness cos I have never had a puncture. Check out its website.

Ian

Same here, had it 2 years and no dramas...plus a tyre company will repair the tyre as the substance can easily be washed out. These one shot cans used to be oil based or something like that, and consequently can render the tyre unrepairable *-)

Also, a puncture repair normally costs less then £10 :-S

http://www.caravanninglinks.co.uk/ultrasealuk.htm

JudgeMental - 2010-03-26 10:47 AM
lookback - 2010-03-25 8:01 PMI have Ultraseal in all four wheels of the motorhome at a cost of £65. The manufacturers claim that it will stop a puncture caused by a nail or a screw but not a sidewall split. I have had it in my two motorhomes and also my towed car. Fortunately I cannot gauge its effectiveness cos I have never had a puncture. Check out its website.Ian
Same here, had it 2 years and no dramas...plus a tyre company will repair the tyre as the substance can easily be washed out. These one shot cans used to be oil based or something like that, and consequently can render the tyre unrepairable *-)Also, a puncture repair normally costs less then £10 :-Shttp://www.caravanninglinks.co.uk/ultrasealuk.htm

Funnily enough in my last motorhome I had three years with no drama. I didn't have Ultraseal or anything else!

As you may gather I never had a puncture! I am currently in the dilemma of having a new Hobby 'van and no spare! I really would like a spare, just in case, but it will probably have to go in the garage and it will be very inconvenient because of the bikes etc.

Have you actually had a puncture and been saved by your sealant? If not then it could be argued that, so far, it's been a waste of money!

Mind you, if it's still only about £65, I'll certainly consider it.

When we were looking at a new Hobby the dealer originally told us it was impossible to fit a spare wheel carrier. However having taken a look under the van with me and consulted someone else he agreed that they could and would fit one in the normal place under the rear of the chassis. In the end we did not go ahead with the Hobby having decided on another Rapido or a Frankia.

Take a look yourself and you will see what I mean.

John.N - 2010-03-25 6:11 PM

spospe - 2010-03-25 5:38 PM

I appreciate that it is no use in a case of major tyre damage but I would think that for a simple puncture it could be the answer. As to the question of a mechanic refusing to repair the tyre which had been treated, considering the labour charges, I would think that investing in a new tyre (which might be needed in the near future anyway) might be almost as cost effective as repairing an untreated tyre.

I'm not sure it would be cost effective. We have just had two of the latest new Micheline camper tyres fitted at a cost of £144 each with new metal valves and filled with nitrogen, which our supplier does as standard. Great tyres though much better in all respects, especially ride. I'm glad we paid the premium over the cheaper Continentals we were offered.

Bear in mind that for good balanced handling you should really fit new tyres in pairs which is just what we did.

Colin Leake - 2010-03-27 1:19 PMWhen we were looking at a new Hobby the dealer originally told us it was impossible to fit a spare wheel carrier. However having taken a look under the van with me and consulted someone else he agreed that they could and would fit one in the normal place under the rear of the chassis. In the end we did not go ahead with the Hobby having decided on another Rapido or a Frankia.Take a look yourself and you will see what I mean.

Thanks for that. I've had a look and it would have to be a specially-made wheel holder with some means of sliding it out. The problem is of course that it's no longer a normal Transit LWB but has been extended by Hobby (I think!).

The other worry is that there might be a danger of it grounding when boarding a ferry for instance. Anyway, I think that my problem has been solved. Our electric bikes are quite large and getting them in and out of the garage is a nightmare as we have to lower the handlebars every time.

The Hobby came with a superb bike rack, which I thought that I didn't really want as I'd a garage but it's going to be a blessing in disguise!

The bikes are going on the rack so there is now loads of space in the garage for a spare wheel!

I'm still considering Judgemental's Ultraseal though as well. If it really does stop most punctures it may save me having to change a wheel on the side of a busy road.

Guest Tracker
GypsyTom - 2010-03-27 3:39 PMThe Hobby came with a superb bike rack, which I thought that I didn't really want as I'd a garage but it's going to be a blessing in disguise!

The bikes are going on the rack so there is now loads of space in the garage for a spare wheel!

I'm still considering Judgemental's Ultraseal though as well. If it really does stop most punctures it may save me having to change a wheel on the side of a busy road.
Do beware of the theft risk of expensive bikes on an external rack!

Tracker - 2010-03-27 3:44 PM
GypsyTom - 2010-03-27 3:39 PMThe Hobby came with a superb bike rack, which I thought that I didn't really want as I'd a garage but it's going to be a blessing in disguise!

Do beware of the theft risk of expensive bikes on an external rack!

Thanks, but but it's the lesser of two evils. When these expire I shall buy smaller folding ones that will go in the garage.

I've actually had the bikes on a rack for a couple of years without a problem. The secret is to have them secured by really strong chains which I know aren't 100% certain to deter thieves but they can just as easily break into the garage I suppose!

My current motorhome, puchased new in July 07, came without spare wheel, due I suspect tocost in wieght and price. I had done previously some research, and my first trip was to have Ultraseal injected into the tyres. The product has now changed names as far as I can work out, and seems currently known as Puncture-safe.

If you look at www.ultrseal.biz and follow the links, this will give all the information.

I am shortly likely to need new front tyres, so am looking for the same again. I tried to find a 'local' dealer, unsuccessfully, and in the end e-mailed Puncture-safe, and they called me, then e-mailed back, a local'contact'. I have not yet pursued this, and wonder if anyone has any current experience of obtaining this product?

bazooka - 2010-03-27 7:25 PMColin i thought the manufacturer fitted tyres that suited the vehicle. My Transit has continental tyres fitted from new after 30,000 miles i replaced two for £160 including new valves and balancing,baz

I would hope so too. I've just bought a new Hobby and it came with Continental tyres and I can't see Hobby not fitting its motorhomes with the correct tyres.

Presumably Continental also does stronger tyres such as the Michelin camping versions?

Archived