European manufacturers

Shell181

Hi

Does anyone know off hand please of any MH's that are 3500Kg vehicle weight or under that have a rear lounge that can be made into a double or bigger, a dinette at the front or middle and an overcab/drop down bed. I have found a couple of Swift and also a Lunar one but would prefer Hymer or any other german/european manufacturer.

Is the rear lounge and dinette an english thing maybe?

This is such hard work lol !!

Thanks for any replies

Shell

Hi Shell,

Have you looked at last months MMM (April), pages 148 to 154?

Not sure where it's made but they did a feature on an Elddis AutoQuest 145 and the layout fits your description with a large rear lounge, twin forward facing dinette and overcab double, all with a MAM of 3,300 kg!

Not sure what it's like, I just remember reading the article last week.

Keith.

The end lounge is very popular in UK, and not at all popular on the mainland.  Therefore, few mainland manufacturers offer this layout, though a few now do.  There was a small low profile Rapido with an end lounge a few years back, though it had side facing passenger seats.

I am a little puzzled why you want the overcab/drop down bed, as well as a convertible rear lounge, because I had thought you would be travelling as a twosome.  More beds = more length = higher unladen weight = lower payload.  If you can work with one good sized double bed, you will greatly simplify your search.  I think you will struggle with payload if the MAM is under 3.5 tonnes.  Be aware that quite a lot of Luton bodied vans are built on 3.3 tonne chassis, especially older vans, to keep cost down.

If you want a A class van with a drop down bed, the bed will tend to drop over the front driver's/passenger's seats, leaving a forward lounge/dining area partially accessible with the bed down, and a midships kitchen with washroom to the rear, or possibly a midships (ish) washroom and rear kitchen.  The cab seats will almost invariably swivel for lounge use during the day, assuming the bed is lifted.  It will tend to have a higher unladen weight, as A Class bodies are generally heavier than coachbuilts.

Look particularly at smaller Hymers and Rapidos.  Maybe something like a Hymer B508, which has had similar incarnations for several years, or Rapido 924F or 927F (cant vouch for the prices, though!).  They will inevitably be older models to suit your £25,000 budget.  Check that any you consider have power steering, older vans tended not to have this as standard.  I'd suggest a trip to Hymer UK here http://tinyurl.com/y7nebat, and to Wokingham Motorhomes here http://tinyurl.com/y6u63rm.  Visit them to talk about your requirements.  Both have handled the marques for years and should be able to advise what would meet your requirements and budget, whether they have any such in stock, and (perhaps more importantly) whether they are expecting any such into stock in the near future.

If you want an overcab, or Luton, bed, life will be easier though you will be unlikely to get the rear lounge from a mainland builder.  You will get a van over 10' tall, though it will tend to have a lower unladen weight for the same length as the A class.  It will be cheaper, so a newer van for the same cost.  You will need to evaluate whether you will be comfortable in the Luton bed, since many have relatively restricted headroom - one of you may, just, be able to sit up in bed, the other definitely won't.  The tendency is for a midships lounge/diner with kitchen and washroom to the rear.  Swivel cab seats are rare.

Hi Everyone, thanks for your replies I will have a look at the ones suggested.

Brian - At the moment (although I know it may not be possible) we are trying to get the layout we would like without having to have a compromise (although we have already had one compromise as we have decided that a seperate shower was crossing off quite a few vans that we quite liked). I really like the open 'u' shaped lounge, hubby would like a dinette even if its just one little settee and table, I won't sleep in an overcab bed, and it wouldn't bother me if I have to make the bed up every night. So if we get a MH with an overcab bed then if I wanted to go to bed I can make the bed up in the lounge bit and hubby can sit and read or whatever in the dinnette bit :) Also until our 15 year old goes in the RAF next year we may be taking him on the odd trip so unless he wanted to sleep in a tent then he would be in the cab bed and we would be in the make up bed. Does all this make sense? It does to me lol, we may not be able to get this layout with our restriction but am at least going to try before we dismiss it and have to think again.

Shell

An overcab makes a great big storage area (but only for bulky, light things). You may feel that you like a low profile model, only to find out that it is short of storage lockers.

The Elddis models mentioned earlier are well priced and as a budget van, mine performed very well. I liked the airy feel of the rear lounge. Most of the time it served as my home from home while working around the UK and I can say that I had no problems. There was plenty of power in the Peugeot 2.2 engine.

I hope you find the right van.

A little earlier model, that I think you are looking for:-

http://www.dolphinmotorhomes.co.uk/used_vehicle.asp?stock_no=T230KVW&schType=&schBerths=0&schPriceRange=999999&schSeatbelts=0&schLayout=&schMileage=&schTransmission=All#

& a younger example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001Y-ELDDIS-AUTOSTRATUS-EB-6-BERTH-13-000-MILES-SUPERB_W0QQitemZ270540116994QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item3efd729402

Ph.0844 6632971 / 01262.673187

springfield motorhomes ltd

unit 8 boundary road

bessingby ind estate

bridlington

East Riding of Yorkshire

yo16 4sd

Hi Keith as luck would have it yes I did and lets just say I love it! Am presuming that the older models are the same weight, or maybe I shouldn't assume??? At the moment its looking good though and I'm really hoping that we (and everyone else on here lol) have found one that ticks all the boxes :)

Both of those are on the 3500kgs chassis. If you wanted new then there is a test in the latest (May2010) MMM page 148 on an Elddis Autoquest 180 which again is on a 3500kgs chassis but is a modern incarnation of the same layout. But £35294 on the road.

Bas

Right!  Check the payload very carefully.  Three adult sized people alone will weigh about 225Kg!  Don't accept any vagueness by the seller, and do check the VIN plate for confirmation of that 3,500Kg MAM.  These are longish vans, with longish rear overhangs, so the unladen weights will be relatively high, and the rear axle loading will be critical.  Make sure you get to to a weighbridge before buying, and get the individual axle loadings.  Also, make sure you get a fully recorded damp test carried out. 

Oh, and check the ages of the tyres while you're at it.  Look for a 4 digit number something like 3407 (meaning week 34 of 2007), moulded into the sidewall of the tyre.  General rule is replace if over 7 years old (5 years old if buying :-)), including the spare.  If the tyres have already been replaced (they should have been) check they are appropriate for the van.  If in doubt, note the make, type and full size data from the sidewall (Should go something like "Michelin Camping" 215/70 R 15 CP 109 R) and come back on here armed with that and the Axle loads from the Vin plate, and we should be able to say if they are OK.  However, check every tyre, as they'll cost around £100 each to replace, and you probably won't want a £500 bill for five new tyres as soon as you get it home.  A good dealer will know what needs doing and will already have replaced them, or will do so at no cost when you point them out.  If he's been caught out by them, he may want paying a bit extra for new ones, but should still be able to get them at a better price than you could get.  Good luck!

Hi Bas

Yes I did read the article thanks, thankyou to everyone who has replied and helped us, we have now got a list together of the ones that are 3500kg or under and that have our layout:-

Benimar Europe 6000ST

Benimar Anthus

Hymer B Classic 595

Swift Kon-Tiki 640

Elddis Autostratus EB

Elddis Autoquest 145

Lunar Champ A670R

Swift Gazelle F63

Still not sure if the Laika Ecovip 400 is 3500kg or under so won't add that, obviously when we do find one that we would like to buy we will check the weight on the plate and make sure we have enough payload left etc etc.

So at least now my search is easier and its just a matter of where and when now we have our perfect layout

Please feel free everyone to give us any pros or cons against any of them.

Shell

:-D :-D

Archived