Joliet Motorhome

mendipman

Hi Mendipman

Pioneer Jolliet

It's the Autocruise Starfire, in it's Pioneer guise. (Upholstery differed.)

I think Autocruise dropped the Pioneer labels when taken over by Swifts.

All will be on the previous model Peugeot, but the Starfire layout I think was retained in 2007 on the new model.

Only on the 3000kg chassis so payload is SMALL

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=MReviews&op=show&rid=78

Hi,

There is nothing worse than a smelly dog with it's decals peeling off !! (sorry,kelly58, i couldn't resist it he he !) Agree with flicka, looking for an Autocruise/Pioneer has taught me a lot about the models etc., very well made and innovative (some times just a tad too 'innovative' ref. Vacuum Toilets !!) great use of available space .They were the first to use 'Swing wall' shower rooms, and extra swing out cupboads in the kitchen. Erberspacher Diesel heater and hot water plus mains if on hook up. So good, I bought one last week. A Starburst though, because we wanted two single beds. The Starfire/Joliet is a nice van though (for two only of course). And they went back to standard Thetford cassette loos pretty quick too.

I am not as impessed with the 'Post Swift' models, not so much innovation, and (to my eyes) not such good quality, (and overpriced).

I think Autocruise CH was a better company to deal with (if not so succesfull financially). a shame, but at least the name is still going.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with most things ravisi says.

We have had a Valentine since 2004, this is the Starfire/joliet with a rear door.

It is a very well built vehicle, as were all original Autocruise vans, and currently has covered 28000 miles.

Keep eyes open for the soon to be released Bentley Motorhomes, being built by a new company whose directors are the previous A|utocruise owners, John Cockburn, Gordon and Richard Bentley.

I would expect them to be of the same quality and innovation associated with Autocruise m/Hs, prior to what I feel was a quality deterioration when Swift bought the company

• 2 weeks later...
We have had our Jolliet since  July 2006 - it has been a really greatMH - ours was equipped with two forward facing belted passenger seats (option at the time) and a fixed gas tank. Just about to change to a Hobby Van to get a fixed bed but will miss the Jolliet it has been a super Van

Mendipman,

just realised that we didn't actually answer your question date-wise, Pioneer was the 'badge engineered' range from Autocruise CH,

they were named after Painters and Explorers ( expressionist artists not decorators !) with names like Renoir,Monet, Verspucci, Magellan and Frobisher and of Course Jolliet (i have no idea whether he was a painter or an explorer ??) Flicka is right of course, Swift dropped the range as soon as they took over, Shame, because I thought their twin headlight conversions on the older Peugeots and differant paint jobs looked great, and added a bit of variety into British produced vans (most of the Buyers Guide in the MMM now is taken up with Foreign Vans !!!) for my mind to do well in a smaller market you need to offer more choice to the customer, NOT less. Which is JUST what the foreign firms are doing.( I just don't like them, personal opinion.) So, back to the dates, Late 2006 early 2007 is when Autocruise nearly went bust (correct me if i'm wrong) which is also when the X250 (hiss,Boo) came onto the scene. Hope this gibberish is helpful. Ray

lizken - 2010-09-02 6:39 PM

Keep eyes open for the soon to be released Bentley Motorhomes, being built by a new company whose directors are the previous A|utocruise owners, John Cockburn, Gordon and Richard Bentley.

I would expect them to be of the same quality and innovation associated with Autocruise m/Hs, prior to what I feel was a quality deterioration when Swift bought the company

Had a look at the Bentley Motorhomes website & was surprised to see they have chosen the Renault Traffic as their base vehicle choice.

Good to see an alternative base, but as the Renault Traffic spec is:-

Kerb Weight (Excluding Driver) (kg) 1515 (for the Chassis Cab only) &

Gross Vehicle Weight (kg) 3060.

(Figures from Renault UK web site)

I suspect that when a Coachbuilt body & all equipment is fitted payload will be at critical point, which if so would be a pity.

I think Jolliet was an explorer to South America - someone said the MGW was too low.  Actually it is 3400kg - mine was originally supplied at 3700 kg because of the extra weight of passenger seats, also fitted with air-rides.  I down-plated it to 3400 because of license concerns (age 70 don't want to do the regular medicals!) but even at this weight there is plenty of payload. Checked it regularly at the weighbridge.

If you can find one in good condition - ours is as new and only done 14k miles in 4 years you will get a really good van. Mine is being traded in shortly

Enjoy your search - incidentally I did an appraisal on another forum (MHfacts) soon after we got it which is still accurate

David

flicka - 2010-09-15 8:33 PM

Had a look at the Bentley Motorhomes website & was surprised to see they have chosen the Renault Traffic as their base vehicle choice.

I can't see anything on the Bentley site that says what the base vehicle is. Where did you see it?

Harvey

Hi Harvey

It's here:- http://www.bentleymotorhomes.co.uk/artisan-features-revealed.html

Scroll down onthe right:-

"Base Vehicle - The Renault Trafic

We have chosen the Renault Trafic as our base vehicle for a number of reasons, including its stylish and protective design, powerful, yet quiet performing engines, the latest on-board technology and high levels of comfort and safety."

Thanks Flicka. I hadn't looked at that section because it is dated to be revealed on the 17th....tomorrow. :-S

There were some 'coachbuilt' motorhomes based on the old Trafics of years ago: don't know what weights / payloads they were though.

Back to the 'Joliet' subject; I have a brochure for Pioneer 2005 / 06 and it is in that. ( GVW 2400kg: payload 629kg ). In 2007 Autocruise / Pioneer based their new models on the new 'X250' and the Autocruise brochure shows the 'Joilet' equivalent; the Stargazer, so I expect there was also a 'Joliet' for 2007. I don't have a 2007 Pioneer brochure though....... and then it all went 'downhill'.

Harvey

Off topic - but Messrs Cockburn & Bentley look as if they may shake up the Market with the new BENTLEY Motorhomes (hope they don't hit trademark problems with VW).

Pre-empting their launch at the NEC, I'm guessing they will be Low Profiles, based on the 3tonne chassis. So although I an anticipating a quality mid to upper market product, they should be competitively priced & as their website states a smaller footprint.

This (I anticipate) would be attractive to those wanting Motorhomes less than 6m in length and competition to Nu Venture Nu Surf & Romahome R40 terratory. But, sorry not for Us.

Reminiscent of the Machzone on the Renault Traffic of the late 80's/90's (?)

Hi,

Thanks for the link Flicka, I've signed up to their newsletter to see what the new vans are like, the layouts look ok, a modern version of the Starburst on a Renault chassis would suit us fine (if the price was right) not too sure about the gas powered heating, I think the Eberspacher system sets you more 'free' from being tied to LPG supplies. we'll see.

Just not sure if the 'Trafic' will be 'Man' enough, and the Starburst does have a good load margin 739 kgs no less. again, we'll see. Think they should have chosen the new 'Master' as the base vehicle it would have given more 'Scope' . (sorry we seem to have wandered away from the Joliet Topic, as you do.) Ray :$

Archived