Mobile Internet 50mb for 99c per day.

derek500

I bought one of these after reading about it on MHF.

Put it in my unlocked dongle, along with the settings the seller provides and gave it a go yesterday. It worked fine, with no problems. I checked my balance and was only charged 99c. 50mbs got me about four hours' surfing, so stunning compared to pay wifi in campsites etc.

Of course here in the UK it is international roaming for an Irish Republic sim card, so you don't need to be abroad to use it.

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-90635-days0-orderasc-0.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressed with this!! Used it at CC Crystal Palace, Marine Parade - Dover, Dunkerque and now Fecamp.

Lots of surfing and never been near 50mb daily limit.

No need to look for 'free wi-fi' again. Here in France, Vodafone roaming is on the SFR network.

starvin marvin - 2010-09-07 11:31 PM

Please explain the unlocked dongle and the processes and procedures, you went through, otherwise I'm none the wiser.

When you buy a dongle it's locked to the service provider's network. You can unlock them either by doing it online or going to a mobile phone shop who will unlock it for you.

You can also buy one 'unlocked' on Ebay.

You then follow the link in the first post of this thread and buy a Vodafone simcard from a dealer in Ireland. He'll email you full (very easy) instructions on how to set up the Vodafone simcard in your unlocked dongle.

Currently writing this on the cliff top of Arromanches by the Normandie Landing beach 'Gold'. Lovely evening here!!

Never had any problems logging on.

Sorry if this seems to be a dumb question, I simply never seem to be able to understand how any of these systems work. To who and how do you pay your 99 cents to? Drawn down from a monthy subscription?

This question is from someone who has never managed to access wifi via our laptop except here at home!! Unfortunately I'm McD phobic and have never been in a Starbucks in my life or managed ever to find anything I'm interested in on e-bay, which I think appears to be such a faff. I'll get off my hobbyhorse now, apologies for the rant, but I find it so frustrating.

derek500 - 2010-09-08 9:44 PM

You top up on the Vodafone (Irish) website and each day you use the internet they take 99c off your balance. If you don't go online, you don't get charged.

There is no monthly contract, it's purely 'pay as you go'.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've tried to contact the seller, but you have to register on e-bay which I don't want to do. Do you have contact details for the seller?

This is a very interesting post! I wish I'd had one of these whilst I was in France for 3 weeks!!!!

I've read through the MHFacts postings and am a bit clearer on what you get etc, and would be interested to know how people are getting on with it in Europe ... seriously considering getting one ....

From what I can deduce, I think the guy maybe has been able to either buy a job lot, of current or old stock sims, that permit you to use them in this way, or that there is no limit on how many an individual can purchase from Vodaphone if you're a registered mobile phone user with them, hence how he's got them. Anyway, I'm not really bothered so long as it works and keeps working.

:-D

Thought I'd put the ebay advert link here in case anyone wants one and doesn't want to go through the MHFacts website to find it:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Vodafone-Ireland-SIM-card-cheap-data-roaming-EU-/180534630277?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Sim_Cards_CV&hash=item2a08b3d785

Many thanks for the updates Derek.  I've ordered mine (via Mel's link, thank you) and the emailed instructions look very comprehensive.

We currently use our Vodaphone dongle in the UK and it's been very good so it'll be interesting to try out the Irish Sim when we next go abroad.

The seller sent dongle unlocking instructions but I'd already unlocked mine so cannot vouch for whether his unlocking software works or not.

Thanks again for your updates to this thread.

W2G

Way2Go - 2010-09-13 8:40 AM

Many thanks for the updates Derek. 

That's OK.Couple of tips.If you change your browser's settings to not show pictures the 50mb goes on forever!!!Reset your data usage statistics each day on Mobile Partner and remember to add the upload and download figures together to get your daily use.

Mine has arrived and is working.

The biggest obstacle was managing to get the crappy Vodafone web site to stay up long enough to enter some money on the sim.

That isn't the fault of the sim seller as I've had lots of problems with all the Vodafone web sites I've used.  Their navigation is appalling and for a comms company their web site sucks.

Back to the sim, I initially had problems but then having re-read the documentation I managed to configure it correctly using the suggested 'Mobile Partner' software instead of the Vodafone software which I was using with my original sim.

I'm assuming that I'll be using my original sim in the UK as before and just use the new Ireland sim when I'm in Europe.

Techno100 - 2010-09-19 1:06 PM

Way2Go - 2010-09-17 8:10 AM

I'm assuming that I'll be using my original sim in the UK as before and just use the new Ireland sim when I'm in Europe.

The UK is Europe as far as the Irish sim is concerned you ARE ROAMING.

Hi Techno100 - welcome to the mad house! :-D

If you re-read W2G's posting you'll see that he's using his original sim in the UK and the new sim when abroad, so he isn't roaming ... well not in the sim sense anyway!!! (lol)

Mel B - 2010-09-20 7:28 PM

If you re-read W2G's posting you'll see that he's using his original sim in the UK and the new sim when abroad, so he isn't roaming ... well not in the sim sense anyway!!! (lol)

For me the Vodafone.ie is a better a deal even in the UK. With my o2 and T-Mobile sims it's a lot more expensive for just an odd day here or there.

Mel B - 2010-09-20 6:28 PM

The UK is Europe as far as the Irish sim is concerned you ARE ROAMING.

Hi Techno100 - welcome to the mad house! :-D

Hi Mel thanks . I meant he does not need to change his sim because he is outside ireland UNLESS his UK sim is cheaper or a better connection.

:-D :-D

Hi, I think you may have misunderstood it appears from what I can find the offer was only in Ireland and from the searches I have done it doesn't appear to be available any longer, but not being an Irish citizen or living in Ireland I could be wrong its just I haven't been able to find it.This is nothing new as most mobile companies keep inventing new offers which only run for a few months or so to entice new people to join them. My question was will Vodafone keep the offer of 99cents running as long as people have the SIM or is there a time limit when it could revert back to Vodafone's normal roaming rates, does anyone know ? only the offer is extremely good value when you compare it to any other form of European Internet access.
Way2Go - 2010-09-23 6:39 AM

The seller I got mine from still has plenty up for sale http://tinyurl.com/38575t5 

If as you say the offer has ended it would probably mean that Vodafone no longer sell the sim cards not that they no longer work.

W2G

Archived