Folding Handbrakes

bigal

Can anyone advise me on whether folding handbrakes are a retro fit item and briefly describe the working principle ie does it work using a ratcheting system to apply/release the hand brake. How high is the lever from the floor when released? I remember a similar fitting on commercial vehicles many years ago and wondered if the one I was reading about was similar. Any info. would be appreciated. :-) B-)

Usinmyknaus - 2010-10-29 4:06 PM

Hi Bigal I am sure one of the techies on here will be able to help but can I suggest you post the make, model and year of your base vehicle and motorhome so as to get a specific answer?

Bob

Thanks Bob, CI CIPRO 55 MERC 316CDI :-D B-)

Hi Bigal

I was looking at the folding handbrake on a brand new Merc at the NEC only last week and was amazed how simple it was to operate.

You 'pulled' the handbrake on exactly the same as any other handbrake until the ratchet held and then simply pushed the lever back down without touching the button.

To release the handbrake you pulled the lever up, again without touching the button, then pulled a little harder and pushed the button to release as you lowered it back down.

I was going to try and find out if the lever could be retro-fitted to an older Merc but haven't got round to finding out yet.

Perhaps a call to your local Merc commercial dealer would help?

Let us know if you find out first!

HTH,

Keith.

First class, Thanks Keith, just what I was looking for. This sounds like a similar type operation to the old Leyland Clydesdale of many years ago. I will contact our local Merc. agents and suss. this out. I wonder if it folds low enough to allow the driver's seat to swivel when parked. :-D B-)

bigal - 2010-10-31 12:06 PM

I wonder if it folds low enough to allow the driver's seat to swivel when parked.

It certainly did on the MH's we looked at but they were the later model so would need checking on yours.

Would your drivers seat swivel now with the handbrake off, that may be the measure?

Keith.

Hi Bigal

I have one of these folding hand brakes fitted to my Merc, all very simple as described by Keith.

Regards how low it will go, the front will go right down so the rear part of the handbrake will be the highest point just like any other handbrake when lowered,

I have a driver’s seat that swivels right around over the handbrake.

Cheers

Dawki

Hi Bigal

Can't comment on the Merc version but did have a folding handbrake on our 2006 model Renault Master based Knaus Sun Ti and it was very, very simple to use. Allowed the seats to swivel with no problem and was really just about getting into the habit of a different handbrake habit - so to speak!

David

Do you mean the Rare Spares ones, like these?

http://www.prime-function.co.uk/rare-spares/frameset.htm

If so, they're a 10 minute job to fit, just 6 bolts. Don't need a dealer to do the job. They work great, but you must fold them when not in use because if you catch them when not folded they're very easy to release accidentally. They do work well, and are solidly built though.

Archived