Air Con

Rocci

I'm guessing that you're talking about retro-fitting cab air con.

Depending on the price quotes you receive, it may be worth also exploring the option of installing a roof mounted unit, plus an inverter big enough to thus power it whilst you are travelling along (as well as just using it whilst on EHU when parked)............

Rocci - 2011-03-02 1:32 PM

Thanks - anyone tried this?

Quite a few people I think - search the forum for earlier threads on this subject.

We didn't bother with the inverter when we had our roof mounted AC unit fitted last year, because the ancient wiring and alternator on our venerable 1992 motorhome wouldn't support its demand, so iur AC unit just works from mains electric when parked up on EHU........but it is brilliant!

And as Mel has said, we can have it swopped to another MH if we sell/buy, as it fits into a standard 40cms rooflight hole.

• 2 weeks later...
blueraincoat - 2011-03-10 9:47 PM

we were thinking of fitting a unit to the sky light but thought it too expensive - anyone an idea about cost?

Our Dometic B1600 unit thingy was from memory about 1200 euros (about 1000 gbp) including fitting, last year.

The beauty of it (apart for the fact that it's utterly and brilliantly damn useful for cooling in the summer; and also for heating in the winter!) is that it fits onto any 40cm square rooflight hole, so if/when you sell your MH, just remove it and for a few quid for wiring, get it fitted to your next MH.

• 5 weeks later...

hi, looked into air con some time back, around two years for the hymer. to retro fit cab air con is a no no, the price of the new parts is out of this world, and you can,t get all the parts 2nd hand, so it was open window time. I did fit roof air con, got a unit of ebay, easy fit and used the wiring from the roof fan and the rear 40 cm skylight. I fitted the roof fan over the bed at the front. must say that it was just great having the air con in italy last year 34 outside, nice 20 inside. also good in the winter as the unit gives out hot air as well. And no I could not make it run when driving, just needed too much power.

michael.

ps the land rover retro air con kits are useless they take up all the foot well. Had to drive a landy with the kit fitted a few 1000 miles and boy did my knees know about it.

Archived