Dogs on sites - Adults only sites

MikeR

It's interesting to see so many sites in guidebooks and club directories which are listed as 'Adults only'.

We don't mind kids. In fact we like them, especially when the grandchildren holiday with us.

What we don't like is dogs on sites. Even if their owners 'clean up' after them there will still be a residue on the grass.

We don't allow our grandchildren to defecate and urinate on the grass or near the paths outside the site.

How about a 'dog free site' category?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you will find that this subject gets raised on a frequent basis. It only serves to alienate fellow Motorhomers, Caravanners, Campers. We all have our personal preferences and there is nothing wrong with that, we are then free to choose what we do and where we go. Where will the segregation stop, Adults Only, Dog Free, Motorhomes Only, Christians Only, Roman Catholics Only, Gay's only, Whites Only, Blacks Only, Scottish Only, Private Sector Employees only ( :D ). Are we really becoming such a bunch of intolerant human beings ? I don't have pets or children but that doesn't mean that I only look for Adult Only & Pet Free sites. Please, Please, let's not go down this subject route AGAIN ;-)

Hi,

I UNDERSTAND the the Caravan Club considered banning dogs a long time ago.

Then they realised that a lot of members are only have caravans because it is a cheap way of attending dog shows at the other end of the country.

I can be fined if my dog makes a mess in a public place. But not if he does it in my back garden ..... where my children used to play, and their friends came to play too. Where do the law maker's children play?

Dogs should wear a tag on their collar, issued by a vet, AFTER he has dosed them for worms. They did this in Malaya in the 1960s. You couldn't get a dog licence if your dog hadn't been injected against rabies. The tag was a different shape and colour every year.

Some balance perhaps?

Lady T and myself have just returned from the Vets having taken my Mothers' cat for a jab.

On arrival at the Vets we sat down whilst a Lady customer settled her bill. She had with 2 very large dogs on leads with her. Now these 2 dogs were boisterous to say the least, and they're getting closer and closer to my Mothers' cat, who of course is in his secure basket.

And he's shaking, I'm doing my very best to turn his basket away from the dogs.

Mums' cat has every right to feel safe and secure.

Numerous hints along the lines of "please control your dogs" ranging to "I'll b****y lynch you, you stupid uncaring cow" were made before she and her dogs exited the building.

Dogs? Fine - no problem.

Some dog owners? Shoot them. Twice - just to make sure you got them.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2011-03-12 3:56 PM

Some balance perhaps?

Lady T and myself have just returned from the Vets having taken my Mothers' cat for a jab.

On arrival at the Vets we sat down whilst a Lady customer settled her bill. She had with 2 very large dogs on leads with her. Now these 2 dogs were boisterous to say the least, and they're gatting closer and closer to my Mothers' cat, who of course is in his secure basket.

Numerous hints along the lines of "please control your dogs" ranging to "I'll b****y lynch you, you stupid uncaring cow" were made before she and her dogs exited the building.

Dogs? Fine - no problem.

Martyn

You are quite correct. Dog owners are the problem. We got really rattled to find a heap of dogdirt outside our van door one morning recently. No indication as to which dog it had come from, so no point in bothering the CCC site warden, who obviously couldn't do much about it.

MikeR - 2011-03-12 4:19 PM

LordThornber - 2011-03-12 3:56 PM

Some balance perhaps?

On arrival at the Vets we sat down whilst a Lady customer settled her bill. She had with 2 very large dogs on leads with her. Now these 2 dogs were boisterous to say the least, and they're gatting closer and closer to my Mothers' cat, who of course is in his secure basket.

Dogs? Fine - no problem.

Martyn

You are quite correct. Dog owners are the problem. We got really rattled to find a heap of dogdirt outside our van door one morning recently. No indication as to which dog it had come from, so no point in bothering the CCC site warden, who obviously couldn't do much about it.

Indicates that the owner of said offending animal broke two sets of rules:

1. Dogs to be kept on lead at all times

2. Dogs not to foul campsite

There are some very responsible owners but unfortunately there are some that just don't give a damn. Doesn't just apply to Pet owners though does it ?

I agree - the dogs are never the problem - we have two - it is always the owners.

We had a guy last year who had a dog on such a long leash that it could wander onto other pitches AND would cock its leg against the back wall of one of the water points!

It also defecated near said water point as well. At this point, having nearly trod in it, I decided to have a chat. He was most apologetic and said it was not his dog and that his son had flown abroad on holiday leaving the dog with him. Usually OK when they are at home but that week they too were away with their motorhome.

He cleaned it up but the lack of thought for others was terrible.

On another occasion (apologies I have posted this before) - a chap let his dog out of his caravan, not on a lead as soon as I had gone out to the shops in my car. Unfortunately for him, my wife was sitting in the caravan as she was not that well at the time and watched all this going on. He said something like "Good Boy - go on then" (as we dog owners do when you want your dog to "go") and was quite happy to let his dog wander onto our pitch behind our caravan where it hunkered down for a dump.

Apparently his face when my wife opened the window and said "What are you doing? - there is a dog walk over there - and you can clear that up right now!!" - was quite a picture.

Thankfully we seem to find more caravaners with dogs and so I think that is why we rarely have a problem. But some dog owners, a minority I am certain, are irresponsible clowns.

But then again so too are parents - that is why we use Adults only sites. Families playing cricket with a real cricket ball 20ft away from my caravan, despite a "No Ball Games" sign was enough to make that decision an easy one.

Similarly - when Eurocamping some years ago - down at La Sirene - Argeles - France, an English couple with a young toddler who had a mega bowel problem were allowing this toddler to wander about with no nappy and liquid $hit dropping everywhere by the pool side and in the toddlers pool. They saw nothing wrong with this. And only after considerable pressure by the rest of us of all nationalities and a report to the site wardens did they put a nappy on and take the poor kid away.

My take on this sort of post is that it is invariably a wind up by a troll type. And yes I am a dog lover and I love my children - I just do not want others bad behaved offspring spoiling my break. Similarly I do not think other people should have to put up with my dogs if they misbehave, so I control them. And - No I am not the second poster who also thinks this is possibly Troll activity.

As for the original poster - I suggest you might want to stay away from places like the New Forest - just got back from a dog walk on the Forest and I hate to tell you that the Ponies $hit everywhere. 8-) (lol) (lol)

As always its the minority that spoil it for the majority. Many of you know "us" (Myself, my wife Jackie and our dog Dexter) and will know that we take great care of Dex (AKA Scooby :-D ) and walk him regularly and clean up after him.

Just to give a touch more "balance": a few years ago we attended the National motorhome show at peterborough as Press and were duly allocated a small section of field near the fence on the South East side of the showground. I was working but on the Saturday afternoon I came back to our camper to find a huge Yankee RV parked on the road near us, mum and dad were comfortably getting merry while their children were happily bouncing a football off a variety of press owned vans (not test vans but vans owned by various members of the motorhoming press). I was not overly pleased so I went over to the RV and asked the parents to "please stop your children doing that and keep an eye on them". Not interested was the shortened version of the response. So I pointed out that in my motorhome was a 35KG (5.5 stone roughly) Staffy Boxer cross who has a particuar liking for footballs and firmly believes that any he sees are his, the only thing between my dog and their children was a large double glazed pastic window that was unlikely to retain him for very long. I pointed out that they would be totally within their rights to sue me if my dog got out and injured their little cherrubs and they would undoubtedly win the case and the dog would be killed but seeing as I had no money or property of any value they would be a long time waiting for any compo and in the meantime their little angels would probably be needing multiple operations. "Now reign your brats in you selfish morons!"

It seemed to work as they called their cheeky little devils in and moved, quite quickly!

D.

MikeR - 2011-03-12 2:32 PM

It's interesting to see so many sites in guidebooks and club directories which are listed as 'Adults only'.

We don't mind kids. In fact we like them, especially when the grandchildren holiday with us.

What we don't like is dogs on sites. Even if their owners 'clean up' after them there will still be a residue on the grass.

We don't allow our grandchildren to defecate and urinate on the grass or near the paths outside the site.

How about a 'dog free site' category?

We are dog owners, we rarely use sites, but if we do we endeavour to abide by the rules as much as possible. But sometimes with the best will in the world dogs just can't 'hold it in' for the time it takes to get the the dog walk, especially as some of them are at one end of the site and inevitably we'll be pitched at the opposite end (not our choice but due to availability of pitches)! If we have to let our dogs out, such as first thing in a morning or last thing at night when there's no way we'd make it to the dog walk, we make sure they are well away from any grass that anyone may wish to use to sit out/play etc on, usually up against the bushes out of the way, they are always taken out on a lead too.

Comparing it to children going to the toilet is a bit daft really, but I have often witnessed parents helping their children to do their 'toileting' in public without any concerns. Plus most will have a toilet in their caravan/motorhome so they can use that ... I don't think they make 'doggy' versions yet ... but could be a good 'novelty' marketing strategy for manufacturers to think about I suppose.

Mike , what a load of crap , There are a few scruffy sods who do not clean there dogs mess up admittedly , just as there are scruffy sods on site who dont shift there rubbish or wash there hands after toilet duties and then paw the drinking water taps with there filthy fingers spreading there filth . Personally give me dogs any day rather than some of the numpties on site

Hi,

OT ...... I took Ki, my rather large, but thick as two short planks, German Shepherd to the vets for his 6 monthly service. As we came out the surgery into the waiting room, he looked around, then "Woof, woof, woof, woof!" at all four corners at the top of his voice. People were pressing themselves against the walls, clutching their little dogs to their breasts.

Ki nodded to himself, and departed through the exit door, tail held high, and a smile on his face. Strange, he had never done it before, never did it again. OK , it wasn't funny ..... but yeah, maybe it was.

I regard a dog as a responsibility, and a big dog is a big responsibilty. Its my job to make sure that my dog does not interfere in any way with anybody else, but the look on Ki's face .......

Mike -- I think that you need some support!

I have always kept quiet on this one when posting on this forum as it was immediately obvious when I first looked at it that the whole 'motorhome fraternity' is full of dog lovers!I had taken little notice of this phenomenon when we first used a campervan/motorhome in New Zealand as dogs (apart from sheep farmers' working animals) are just not allowed on D.O.C.(Department of Conservation) land, which is mainly where we went.' so no 'vans had dogs in them. Would that our own National Trust and English Nature do the same! As for the RSPB, they are utterly spineless in the face of the dog lobby -- surely dogs -- even under'control' (and no dog is ever completely under control in my view -- they are wild animals for heaven's sake!)should NEVER be allowed anywhere near rare nesting birds on RSPB reserves -- but they ARE -- quite wrongly in my view --- but the dog-loving fraternity bring lots of donations/subscriptions and 'we don't want to upset them' do we?

I might just add that I was brought up in a dog-free home, have been blind (detached retina from the centre) in my right eye since the age of 14 thanks to a dog owner who was allowed ( at that time) to let its puppy/dog defaecate in a public park so that a 3-year-old (me) became infected by Toxacara Canis.I was also severely bitten as a five year-old by an off- the- leash small black Scots terrier on a beach in Sussex. So you can see where I'm coming from! I (and my wife) were brought up in farming country, where dogs were kept as working animals and lived out side, NEVER to be allowed into a house. I have since viewed with growing distaste/alarm the way in which this country has been held to ransom by the dog-owning lobby in so many ways -- the watering - down of the Dangerous Dogs Act being a prime example -- leading to the parading of those dreadful 'attack dogs' on our streets and the gruesome deaths/injuries to small children that some of them have caused.

Back to the subject MikeR, my wife and I were horrified ,when we bought our 'van and started motorhoming in this country, to realise that most 'vans were just dog kennels on Wheels! How any one can live in that close proximity to these filthy, hairy, smelly and often dangerous canine creatures defeats me, but as is often said on this forum:"Each to his own", BUT, please keep them to yourselves and allow me to enjoy the wonderful freedom of a dog-free site, just as arrogant dog-lovers seem to require freedom from children on campsites.

There is a wonderful privately-run site that we discovered at Achmelvich on the coast of North-western Scotland, Children, playing safely on the beach--and not a dog in sight -- wonderful! BUT -- it is the only one that we have met -- so far.If campsite handbooks can list large numbers of child free sites, then surely there ought to be enough trade for enlightened site owners to form a dog-free group? They wouldn't have to spend any of there time cleaning up all the dog's mess or creating a dog walking zone like the others have to do!

There! I've put my head over the parapet, from where I shall get shot at by all of the 'responsible' dog worshipers on this forum! (why is it always some other dog owner and not them that causes all of the mess/trouble, I wonder?) but this is my sincerely - held point of view -- I have tried very hard not to rant- that's just too easy - but "Thank-you" MikeR, we don't all have to agree that dogs are 'a good thing' -- they are not, except where they are doing a 'proper' job and under really strict control - that's what our ancestors tempted them out of the wild for -- and the stupid mutts accepted!

Enough of this -- but Mike, you are not on your own -- even if it feels like it sometimes!

Thanks again for the post,

cheers,

Colin.

P.S. -- I too was very affected by the death of the Army dog-handler and his devoted springer spaniel, Theo, I'm not completely heartless you know!

C.

Morning Dave,

Sorry, no,I don't, for reasons stated -- doesn't stop me seeing plenty of friends/relatives who do keep the things -- just don't bring them into my house -- or try to sell me a 'van that has been soiled by one!

Can someone tell me what a troll is in this context, please?

cheers,

Colin.

Symbol Owner - 2011-03-13 11:01 AM

Morning Dave,

Sorry, no,I don't, for reasons stated -- doesn't stop me seeing plenty of friends/relatives who do keep the things -- just don't bring them into my house -- or try to sell me a 'van that has been soiled by one!

cheers,

Colin.

Colin

My conclusion is that, on this forum, anyone who dares to criticise dogs, is considered some kind of troll, and must be looking for an argument.

I certainly would never dare to do so.

;-)

Symbol Owner - 2011-03-13 11:01 AM

cheers,

Colin.

Generally thought to have a derivation from the meaning of "troll" that is "to fish by trailing bait from a moving line", a Troll, in internet terms, may be considered as someone who "goes fishing" for responses by posting often controversial or inflammatory questions or topics, not being interested in the actual response or answer, but motivated simply by causing that controversy, and looking for ongoing "meaningless" discussion, conflict or "flame wars" in response.

The term has been in use for many years, dating back to Usenet Newsgroups, and possibly beyond.

The customary response to such postings, should you suspect them is "DNFTT" (Do not feed the Trolls).

Thanks for your responses Malc. & Robin, now I know! Well, as this is a 'chatterbox' I naively believed that the question originally posed was a sensible one and designed to elicit (perhaps strongly-held) views on all sides of the question! 'Stirring' of the kind that you both describe was not what I had in mind at all, and, although I am sure that he can speak for himself, I don't believe that the original poster intended to 'troll' either.

As I stated right at the beginning of my original post, despite my strong views on the subject of dog ownership, I have not allowed myself to become drawn into such discussions before -- but when I saw you all 'jumping' all over MikeD's perfectly reasonable point of view I felt that I must pitch in and possibly suffer the 'slings & arrows' as a result!

Colin.

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." -

Andrew A. Rooney

Actually - from where I stand - it seems to me the more "rabid" postings are from the "anti-dog" brigade not the other way round.

I think all the "pro-dog" postings state pretty much that it is not the dogs but the owners that are at fault.

And as far as I am aware - there are plenty of sites that do not allow dogs - so why not just use them if you do not like dogs?

Why come on a forum to post the same old same old "I don't like dogs so why are they not banned bo11ocks?"

There are good people there are not so good people - accept it get over it - get a life.

You don't like dogs - fine - I accept that - go somewhere where they are not allowed then. Just spare me you sanctimonious claptrap.

I firmly believe that dogs are mans best friend and so am not surprised that the anti dog brigade has to admit that caravanners and Motorhomers tend to have dogs!

One of my favourite quotes:-

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. "

How sad that some miss that in life.

Some more quotes:-

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.

- Josh Billings

Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.

- Sue Murphy

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

- Ann Landers

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

-Unknown

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.

- James Thurber

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.

- Mark Twain

If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.

-Unknown

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes

-Anonymous

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

- Edward Hoagland "Dogs and the Tug of Life"

Man is a dog's idea of what God should be.

- Holbrook Jackson

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.

- Unknown

My little old dog: A heart-beat at my feet.

- Edith Wharton

No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as a dog does.

- Christopher Morley

Of all the things I miss from veterinary practice, puppy breath is one of the most fond memories!

- Dr. Tom Cat

Pet a dog where he can't scratch and he'll always be your friend.

- Orville Mars

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. -

Andrew A. Rooney

The dog has seldom been successful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged a dog down to his.

- James Thurber

The dog is mentioned in the Bible eighteen times -- the cat not even once.

- W. E. Farbstein

The dog was created especially for children. He is the god of frolic.

- Henry Ward Beecher "Proverbs from Plymouth Pulpit"

The more I see of men, the more I admire dogs.

- Jeanne-Marie Roland

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

- Ben Williams

There never yet has been a dog

Who learned to double cross,

Nor catered to you when you won

Then dropped you when you lost.

- Mary Hale

Archived