Ducato Reversing sensors

Cliffy

I have a 2004 Autotrail Tracker on a Ducator. It has what appear to be two sensors set in the rear bumber which have wires going to them that I have traced back to somewhere around the drivers seat where there is a black box on the end of the lounge seat. (I dont know if it the destination of the wires they disapear in to the chassis).

I bought the motorhome in a private sale and the seller said the reversing sensors had never worked since he bought it when it was less than a year old.

Has anyone got any experience of these on this model? I thought that if it had sensors there would be four set in to the bumber. Where would the wire go to? I assume there must be a switch somewhere on the gearbox or gear change linkage and a box of tricks somewhere.

On the other hand I might be completely mistaken and they arn't sensors set in to the bumper. I can't imagine what elst they could be. I plan on fitting a reversing camera but if the sensors worked I might not bother.

Hi Cliff,

Our AT is also 2004 and has reversing sensors exactly as you have described. They were a factory fit option as part of the SE pack.

You are also right in the description of the 'black box' behind the drivers seat, this is the control box for them. There were also only ever 2 sensors fitted, not 4 as is more popular nowadays.

The first thing I would check is that they are receiving power when in reverse, to start with do your reverse lights work? If not suspect the gearbox switch, if they do then start following wires from the black box.

I would think that AT would have picked up the power feed from the junction box for the rear lights at the back of the original chassis. Ours is on the Left hand side chassis extension behind the rear wheel and is a black box with a clip on lid.

HTH,

Keith.

Sounds like you have a straight forward system. Sensors plug into the black box which possibly has led lights and a bleeper inside. There could also be a switch to select sound or no sound so check it. The power comes from the reversing lamp feed so only on when selecting reverse. The negative wire goes to the chassis. They may have been disconnected if a bike rack had been fitted because they can often pick it up and sound continuously when reversing.

Hi. Slightly off topic, but maybe of interest to anyone with a fold down bike rack, and about to fit reversing sensors,or have them already and find that the bike rack interferes with them. My system has 4 sensors, I fitted 2 of them below the rear lamp clusters, 6" from the outside of the vehicle, the other 2 ,I fitted on the cycle rack. The rack ones are on hinged plastic plates attached to and below the outer rail of the rack. When the rack is down the plates are set vetical, the sensors then detect how close the rack is to something. When the rack is folded up, the sensors are set slightly down facing but up against the back of the van, and with the other 2 sensors now detect distance from the back of the van.

Brian B.

Archived