Grass Seeds

Colin Leake

Guest pelmetman

Hi Colin

Not sure what part of the country you live but maybe you have sown it a little early.

I know they always say sow it in Spring or Autumn but really it depends on how warm the ground it as to how quickly the grass will start to appear. Unless you are right down South I would wait on a bit if I were you.

Sue

Don't ask me where it came from but one of those bits of info filed away in my now slow speed memory is that grass only starts growing when soil temperature exceeds 40 degrees F.

Over the last couple of decades here only a mile or two from Torbay the lawn have kept growing all year round but the last couple of years the mower has been able to have three months hibernation. I made the first cut this year three weeks ago and the second again today.

Reminds me of the story about an american tourist visiting a stately home. He asked the groundsman the secret of the superbly lush lawns. No secret was the reply, just keep mowing -- for 400years.

Both. Weather has warmed up now and we a keeping them watered so I will see how the go. Packet claimed 4 days to germination! From past experience they will wait until we go away in two weeks time then germinate and grow like crazy.

I don't really mind how long they take and I never expected them to germinate in the time shown on the packet. My point is that I don't see how the manufacturers get away with the ever more optimistic claims they make.

Remember when they used to sell seed that was supposed to be bird resistant. It never was of course and that claim seems to have now rightly disappeared.

Colin Leake - 2011-03-22 4:28 PM

Both. Weather has warmed up now and we a keeping them watered so I will see how the go. Packet claimed 4 days to germination! From past experience they will wait until we go away in two weeks time then germinate and grow like crazy.

I don't really mind how long they take and I never expected them to germinate in the time shown on the packet. My point is that I don't see how the manufacturers get away with the ever more optimistic claims they make.

Remember when they used to sell seed that was supposed to be bird resistant. It never was of course and that claim seems to have now rightly disappeared.

If you buy grass seed from places like B&Q it has a poor germination rate preferably you should buy seed from a seedsman, it must have at least half inch of soil cover, when the seed detects moisture it will turn up and send out roots, let the seedlings grow to about 3" before cutting on a high cut, do not apply any fertiliser for at least 6 months or you will kill off the seedlings, regular cutting will encourage the grass to send out new tillers resulting in a lush sward.

When well established use a good quality weed, feed and moss killer, treat your grass with love and care and it will give you loads of pleasure.

Ps never let your grass dry out, fatal.

Guest pelmetman
Here's one I grew earlier :D It was 3 years old in this pic, I had been quoted 3k for turf 8-) ...........spent 80 quid on a bag of Sunday best seed from a seed merchant and still have a third left :D

2052364378_011(2)web.jpg.024765f588e7baa003d09004e9d06a3f.jpg

pelmetman - 2011-03-22 5:19 PM

Here's one I grew earlier :D It was 3 years old in this pic, I had been quoted 3k for turf 8-) ...........spent 80 quid on a bag of Sunday best seed from a seed merchant and still have a third left :D

Very nice Dave, you must be cleverer than me, I cant post a pic to save me life.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2011-03-22 5:51 PM

Very nice Dave, you must be cleverer than me, I cant post a pic to save me life.

Sent you a pm Malcolm about posting pictures :D

Things certainly are 'a changing.

I've mown our lawns today, for the 2nd time this year. Incredible. The grass and the soil are very dry indeed.

We've owned here, (our family home) since 1976, and I cannot remember my Dad cutting the lawns at this time of year, indeed 5 months might be pushing it a bit, maybe May - Sept.

Martyn

pelmetman - 2011-03-22 7:06 PM

knight of the road - 2011-03-22 5:51 PM

Sent you a pm Malcolm about posting pictures :D

Dave,

Not got a pic in mind at the moment but will bear what you say in mind.

pelmetman,

But where do you find time the to go out driving the M/H? any more than 5 days away will mean a double journey with the mower !!

I'm a wild flower fancier myself, my dandelions and yellow daisies are a great show. I have about 15 different wild flowers on one small patch.

art

Guest pelmetman
art338 - 2011-03-22 10:25 PM

pelmetman,

But where do you find time the to go out driving the M/H? any more than 5 days away will mean a double journey with the mower !!

art

I will admit to being a bit of a lawn anorak :D .......I spend ages on getting my stripes just right :$

But if away in the summer for a fortnight I get some chaps in from the village to cut the grass at the front, as I think long grass is also a sign that the house is empty ;-)

Overheard this conversation today......................

God said: "Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there on the planet? What happened to the dandelions, violets, milkweeds and stuff I started eons ago? I had a perfect no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long-lasting blossoms attracts butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colors by now. But, all I see are these green rectangles."

St. FRANCIS:

It's the tribes that settled there, Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers 'weeds' and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass.

GOD:

Grass? But, it's so boring. It's not colorful. It doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees; only grubs and sod worms. It's sensitive to temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?

ST. FRANCIS:

Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn.

GOD:

The spring rains and warm weather probably make grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy.

ST. FRANCIS:

Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it-sometimes twice a week.

GOD:

They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?

ST. FRANCIS:

Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it up and put it in bags.

GOD:

They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?

ST. FRANCIS:

No, Sir, just the opposite. They pay to throw it away.

GOD:

Now, let me get this straight. They fertilize grass so it will grow. And, when it does grow, they cut it off and pay to throw it away?

ST. FRANCIS:

Yes, Sir.

GOD:

These Suburbanites must be relieved in the summer when we cut back on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work.

ST. FRANCIS:

You aren't going to believe this, Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it, so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it.

GOD:

What nonsense. At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn, they fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes. It's a natural cycle of life.

ST. FRANCIS:

You better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them into great piles and pay to have them hauled away.

GOD:

No!? What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter to keep the soil moist and loose?

ST. FRANCIS:

After throwing away the leaves, they go out and buy something which they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves.

GOD:

And where do they get this mulch?

ST. FRANCIS:

They cut down trees and grind them up to make the mulch.

GOD:

Enough! I don't want to think about this anymore. St. Catherine, you're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?

ST. CATHERINE:

'Dumb and Dumber', Lord. It's a story about....

GOD:

Never mind, I think I just heard the whole story from St. Francis

• 2 weeks later...

Good news our grass seeds are now growing. Mainly in the boarders and gravel paths I grant you but we have a cunning plan to deal with that. We intend to let them grow a little and the gently lift each plant out and replant it in the lawns where we wanted them in the first place.

I've just looked at the full page advert for "Super Green Lawn Seed on page 138 of the current Caravan Club Mag. Fast Growing - in just 5 - 10 days. Grow anywhere regardless of soil type. Adapts to your soil conditions. Tough and durable (kid proof). Stays green all year round. Weed resistant. Grows in direct sunlight or shade. Long life. Low maintenance. Non-toxic - safe for animals and children. 100% natural. Unbeatable value for money. Simply sprinkle it over you your existing lawn, water and watch it grow no matter how bad the conditions.

Now it's obvious where I went wrong, this is the grass seed I should have bought.

Why didn't none of you lot tell me about this wondrous product?

I wonder whether it's covered by the trade descriptions act?

Colin Leake - 2011-03-31 4:52 PM

Good news our grass seeds are now growing. Mainly in the boarders and gravel paths I grant you but we have a cunning plan to deal with that. We intend to let them grow a little and the gently lift each plant out and replant it in the lawns where we wanted them in the first place.

I've just looked at the full page advert for "Super Green Lawn Seed on page 138 of the current Caravan Club Mag. Fast Growing - in just 5 - 10 days. Grow anywhere regardless of soil type. Adapts to your soil conditions. Tough and durable (kid proof). Stays green all year round. Weed resistant. Grows in direct sunlight or shade. Long life. Low maintenance. Non-toxic - safe for animals and children. 100% natural. Unbeatable value for money. Simply sprinkle it over you your existing lawn, water and watch it grow no matter how bad the conditions.

Now it's obvious where I went wrong, this is the grass seed I should have bought.

Colin,

I have heard it all now? transplanting germinated grass seed, the art of restoring an old lawn is in the preparation.

Treat the lawn with moss killer, give it a good scarifying with a petrol scarifyer then use a drop spreader to re seed then you will see good results in a couple of weeks, dont use fertiliser until the new grass is about six months old.

knight of the road - 2011-03-31 5:48 PM

... give it a good scarifying with a petrol scarifier...

Malcolm,

I watched the Italians using a petrol scarifier when I was over there from work, they sprinkled it on the ground then lit it :D :D :D

Keith.

Daughter number 2 moved back home and we've now got three rabbits and 2 guinea pigs, when they go out in a run on the the lawn i was amazed tio see one rabbit digging up all the moss nibbling at the roots and leaving the rest in a nice little pile for me to pick up! Saves me a job (lol)

Guest Tracker

If you have a third left and you used the first - where did the second go?

Colin,

I have heard it all now? transplanting germinated grass seed, the art of restoring an old lawn is in the preparation.

Treat the lawn with moss killer, give it a good scarifying with a petrol scarifier then use a drop spreader to re seed then you will see good results in a couple of weeks, don't use fertiliser until the new grass is about six months old.

Did all that but used a powerful John Deer electric scruffier. For the really bad areas I dug up some of the old top soil and replaced it with a mixture of fresh loam and a peat substitute. In all fairness the areas we treated in the late Autumn last year are now looking a treat. I have no doubt he new areas will come good in due time.

Colin Leake - 2011-04-01 4:05 PM

Colin,

Treat the lawn with moss killer, give it a good scarifying with a petrol scarifier then use a drop spreader to re seed then you will see good results in a couple of weeks, don't use fertiliser until the new grass is about six months old.

Did all that but used a powerful John Deer electric scruffier. For the really bad areas I dug up some of the old top soil and replaced it with a mixture of fresh loam and a peat substitute. In all fairness the areas we treated in the late Autumn last year are now looking a treat. I have no doubt he new areas will come good in due time.

Colin,

A beautiful looking lawn is better than a beautiful woman any day (but not everyone will agree with that) :D

Archived