Battery tie down?

Dave225

I have a leisure battery located in a dedicated battery box which has its own tie down strap for the box lid. I used to have a big 110 amp battery in there and it all fitted fine, however, in the interests of weight, and having to buy a new one, I purchased an Elecsol battery. This is very good and gives me 100 amp but is much shorter and 5 kg lighter than the old one., which was good when trying to heave it in and out. The problem is that it tends to slide along the battery box because of the shorter length. I am buying a 2nd tie down strap and brackets to hold it in place as well as the box lid strap, but I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas?

Reimo offer a battery box with a moveable partition which will allow the fitting of any size of battery, but they do not supply the UK, which is a pity. I have checked all the available sources here in the UK and apart from the standard battery box I currently have, there is not a lot available. I had thought of the old car method of a piece of angle aluminium across the top held by nuts at each end, but again nothing is ‘off the shelf’ that I can see. Plus fitting this to a wooden floor is possible but how secure will it actually be unless I use a plate underneath.

Any smart suggestions?

Just so you know, thats 100Ah at the 100 hour rate, it will be less capacity than your old battery and more like 80Ah at the normal specified 20 hour rate. The 100 is a model number not an Ah value.

Anyway, you could just pack it at one end and sides to hold in the box from sliding using polyethylene foam packing material. It is closed cell so if the battrey ever by chance leaks or you get the box wet then the foam will not soak it up.

According to the tech blurb it should lose about 5% at 20 hour rate, so my 100 amp/hr will give around about 90-95 amp/hr, which is as good as I need. So far, it has performed well and as the old one was getting on in years, and life, is probably doing actually better. After 5 years or so, will tell if it has been a good deal or not.

I have thought about packing it out and am probably being overly concerned about it 'flying about'. In an overturn accident then things will go all to Hell anyway, but at least I am trying

Archived