Engine Power Upgrade

snitrats

I bought one of these, fitted really easy on our Fiat 2.3 (photo's come with the kit for your particular engine), instant results and you can alter the settings to suit your trip i.e flat, hilly etc. No need to change gear as much and feels like a different engine whenever I alter it, although once you find the "happy medium" you probably wont need to change your settings unless you venture to Wales, the lakes or Scotland or the like. It does exactly what it say's on the tin and gives us a good 6-7 miles extra a gallon, go for it you wont be disappointed. :-D

totally agree with you Clive,The engines are set at a certain output for a good reason, I personally wouldn't interfere with mine,I've seen a friend of mines pouring out smoke whilst under power so it can't be all that good for the engine can it.

nowtelse2do - 2011-04-08 11:06 PM

Biggest question is. Will it affect your warranty (?) 2009 model.

Dave

Most definately will invalidate your Warranty. Think about it - If you supplied a vehicle to a Customer, who then tinkered with your factory setting, which resulted in engine damage/failure - Would you stand costs of rectifing something that you had no control over.

Also it would invalidate your Insurance, so check with them BEFORE upgrading.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I recently went to a M/home dealer in Nottinghamshire who actually recommended these types of plugin modules, would be interesting to know what exactly is the true position, rather than guesswork . These units together with remaps are very big business, are we really saying the only likely long term consequence will be a scrap engine, although I too would hesitate to put one on a van still in warranty. The OP asked if anyone had any direct experience of these units, because right now with escalating fuel prices an extra bit of MPG could be what the doctor ordered, so any one that has actually got one fitted out there, it would be very interesting to get some feedback from you if you have.

We have a plug in unit cost £164.95 same unit on E.bay about £110, but it has to be the right one for your vehicle. They come in different color codes and prices, we got te green one this is fitted to our 2.8 D.

It does what it says 30% more power and torque 10% more fuel economy, a lot less gear changing- I am light on the accelerator which is key (you have a 30 day money back guarantee with this make )

We informed the insurer Caravan Guard and they werent interested they said thats o.k.

John

Recently read a report on something similar to this where the con rod came out the side of the engine block!! And it was a Merc Sprinter no less. Nissan 4X4 engines are known to do this but a Merc? surely not. Perhaps it had an initial weakness as it was in Oz?.

I have ventured down this route myself a while back with a Landrover Discovery, went like a train but I had to fit a military clutch because the standard one slipped under the increased torque, Needed additional cooling (Kenlow). Fitted additional anti-roll bars so it would corner at its increased speeds. Changes to the brakes so it would stop. And I still had to wind it back for the MOT. Thankfully it was a manual gearbox because if it had been an automatic additional cooling would be required for the torque converter and any type of automatic gearchanging would need re-programming to suit the revised engine characteristics anyway.

Economy was worse because I was unable to control my right foot as it was so much fun burning up other newer but standard Dioscoveries or 3 litre Landcruisers and Mitsubishies.

Fun - without doubt

Costly - Sure, by the time you have done everything you eventually discover you need to do.

But in a car you can only sustain increased power levels for a small amount of time to reach the speed limit so it was to not often under increased stress.

In a commercial application where an engine is kept at its maximum output to "make progress" as my HGV instructor said it will be under much more stress for lots of the time, all the time up hills for example.

Would I do this to my motorhome?

NO NO NO

C.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I would think if this is not all snake oil, surely given the economic climate and the price of fuel, if these "chips" can tune your engine for economy they would be better pushing that aspect, I have no desire to do 0-60 in 8 secs, especially in a Ducato. 8-)

You can get boxes with different power settings ours is the lowest and isnt in to increase our speed! it is to give that extra help when climbing hills etc and the cruise control isnt struggling to obtain a smooth ride with half a tank of water and bikes on the back our revs showing less than before.

Its easy to connect and disconnected if needed. We took it off for the M.O.T. but couldnt connect it up quick enough as I could feel the difference.

I couldn't agree more, just because you fit one doesn't mean your going to race the thing, its more to make it more relaxing and a pleasure to drive even when the going gets tough, thats why I went for the turbotune because of the nine different settings you have to choose from to suit you plus it can be switched off without the need to disconnect

1footinthegrave - 2011-04-11 5:27 PM

Any chance you could tell us where you bought it from, and it's name, many thanks. ;-)

Hi we bought ours from Kingquick Technologies Ltd;

www.kingquick.co.uk

we had prompt service from them

1footinthegrave - 2011-04-11 5:27 PM

Any chance you could tell us where you bought it from, and it's name, many thanks. ;-)

Hi we bought ours from Kingquick Technologies Ltd;

www.kingquick.co.uk

we had prompt service from them

twitchy fingers sorry

"kingquick". Is that taking the Mick or not? Are they far!

Just think of the increased periods of stress you engine will go through on every hill you now climb in a higher gear and at increased speed. It was torque that caused the Merc conrod to let go.

Its your engine and your cash. But if it damages your engine the best you can expect from kingquick will be a refund for the box and a kingquick exit out of sight!

C.

Archived