Electrolux Fridge Vent

karabilou

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. We have an Elddis Autostratus EK 1998 motorhome and on our last weekend break we had a little problem. We had a blockage in our sink and had the idea to check behind the fridge vent at the back of our 'van. The fridge is directly under the sink, so we thought we may be able to find the source of the blockage. Unfortunately we did not find the source of the blockage but when my husband put the vent back in place, he over tightened the plastic plug which holds it in place and it broke. This means we have had to use duck tape to hold the vent in place (I wouldn't mind so much if it was white duck tape - he used black!!!). Anyway, my question is - does anyone know where we can get a replacement plastic plug or, worse case scenario, a replacement vent. We live in Gosport, Hampshire. Any help or advice would be gratefully received. Thanks. :-)

Is it one of these that you mean?

http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/view_product.asp?productID=993&catID=118&subcatID=

....if so, the link is an example of where you can get them.

Given that they break all the time, however (the newest vents have a different design), most Caravan dealers have them in stock.

If you have a Caravan outlet near you, I'd be inclined to go and ask. (I know my local dealer has them).

Edit

How about giving

M Glanville Caravan Dismantler, 27-29 Park St, Gosport, Hampshire PO12 4UH

Tel 02392 602988

...a ring?

There are a good few suppliers round here (and some to my knowledge cheaper than that).

It's a bit close to the Sherrif for me, that one though (and South of the Trent) :D

I was simply looking for a decent picture as an example (though Magnum have been very quick at supplying me with parts in the past).

As I said, I'd probably drop into my nearest Caravan dealer for these bits, but to be honest, the postage shouldn't be very much!.

I've seen these 'fixing-buttons' being sold in caravan dealers' accessory shops at around £1.50 EACH, so it may be worth ordering (say) two packs of 2 when purchasing mail-order to limit the effect on the price of postage/package.

This method of fixing Dometic/Electrolux fridge-vents is not wonderful to begin with and (as Robinhood says) the fixing-buttons are quite fragile and easily broken. If both buttons break while the leisure-vehicle is being driven, there's every chance that the vent will detach itself from the vehicle.

I remember observing (years ago) to a couple travelling to France on a ferry that I assumed they were going somewhere very hot as I had noticed while waiting in the embarkation queue that they had removed one of the fridge-vents on their motorhome's rear wall. Horror-stricken looks and the reply that they'd just had brand-new vents fitted in preparation for going abroad.

My Hobby has massive fridge-vents - 48cm x 37cm in a custom bluish colour - and I'd be very grieved to lose them. To minimise that possibility, on each vent I manoeuvre a plastic cable-tie so it loops around one of the 'lugs' into which the fixing-buttons fit. This is a bit tricky, particularly when a vent has an anti-insect mesh, but it does mean that, if the fixing-buttons fail, the vent won't fall off.

Derek Uzzell - 2011-05-12 7:47 AM

This method of fixing Dometic/Electrolux fridge-vents is not wonderful to begin with and (as Robinhood says) the fixing-buttons are quite fragile and easily broken. If both buttons break while the leisure-vehicle is being driven, there's every chance that the vent will detach itself from the vehicle.

....as I said in my post above, Derek, Dometic seem at last to have realised this.

The vents on my 2010 'van are different.

Though the basic design remains the same (and also I believe, the model number), the body is now secured to the frame via a sliding catch, which engages with a "mushroom" projection on the frame.

It would still be possible to break it (and unfortunately if you did it would probably require a new frame to resolve the problem!) but it does feel considerebly more robust, and is a more positive fit.

Robinhood - 2011-05-12 8:45 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2011-05-12 7:47 AM

....as I said in my post above, Derek, Dometic seem at last to have realised this.

The vents on my 2010 'van are different.

Though the basic design remains the same (and also I believe, the model number), the body is now secured to the frame via a sliding catch, which engages with a "mushroom" projection on the frame.

It would still be possible to break it (and unfortunately if you did it would probably require a new frame to resolve the problem!) but it does feel considerebly more robust, and is a more positive fit.

Yes, I know - and I expect you are correct about needing to buy a complete grille if the sliding catch mechanism breaks. I've never understood why Dometic/Electrolux have felt the need to make these grilles 'tool-free' detachable, as a substantial stainless-steel screw in each corner of a grille's frame would be much more secure. It's not as if fridge ventilation grilles need to be removed on a daily basis and I can't believe that anyone able to turn a fixing-button or operate a sliding catch won't be capable of using a screwdriver.

• 4 weeks later...
Alf Stonehouse - 2011-06-07 10:06 PM

Thanks

I found a site selling sparesi im sure it was electrolux??I cant find the link now 8o|

Hi Alf,

welcome back, not seen you on the forum for a while

Maybe one of these links, will help.

http://www.caravan-parts.org/www.caravan-parts.org/info.php?p=25

or

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/Caravan/ventilation/Dometic_Caravan_Fridge_Spares.aspx

Archived