Autotrail Trims

Melvin

Several of the pips covering the screw heads on the internal woodwork on our motorhome are miising.

The motorhome 2008 Autorail Cheynne 660SE, I have contacted Autotrail, they no longer use or stock the items.

Does anyone know a supplier.

Hi Melvin,

I scrounged half a dozen from the factory when we where there early last year and they where only light brown with no graining so I don't know how old yours are or even whether they are AT originals.

Could you not change some that are less visible for plain brown ones to then give you some grained ones to put in visible places?

Keith.

And all our's where light brown to start with.

Keithl - 2011-05-24 5:42 PM

Could you not change some that are less visible for plain brown ones to then give you some grained ones to put in visible places?

What a simple but very clever idea ;-)

I have an Autotrail 2010 model and the screw covers are plain Brown not grained. Two of mine have dropped off, pretty useless really *-)

This is an earlier thread that may be helpful:

HTTP://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17924&posts=21

When I needed some screw-caps for my Hobby (that has "Confirmat" screws and a mix of brown or blue-grey caps) I did as Keith has suggested, rearranging the caps so that the originals were in visible positions and using 'near enough' coloured caps (bought in France) for the screws that wouldn't normally be seen.

Caps that just push into the recess of a standard Pozidriv screw won't stay in place if there's any upwards 'pull' on the cap - for instance, if the screw is embedded in padded upholstery material - whereas a Confirmat screw with matching cap will be fine.

A current UK supplier of Confirmat screw-caps is:

http://www.bpfittings.co.uk/pc/Confirmat-Cap-3956p603.htm#details

flicka - 2011-05-25 8:22 PM

If the "pips" are in positions where they will frequently get caught & fall out, these may be a solution (although they prodrude further from the cabinet work they will stay in place)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Caps+Cups/Snapon+Cap+Lt+Brn+68g/d90/sd730/p28742

Thanks Flicka, These are similar to what some Motor Dealers use to cover screwheads on number plates (obviously different colours). I have kept the two 'pips' that fell out and intend to use some glue to keep them in, hopefully shouldn't need to get at the screws again (famous last words) but if I do then they are only plastic and will come off again with a wee bit of force. The ones illustrated would be fine for not so visible places but a bit too chunky for the more visible places.

Big Momma - 2011-05-26 4:35 PM

If the "pips" are in positions where they will frequently get caught & fall out, these may be a solution (although they prodrude further from the cabinet work they will stay in place)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws+Fixings/Caps+Cups/Snapon+Cap+Lt+Brn+68g/d90/sd730/p28742

Thanks Flicka, These are similar to what some Motor Dealers use to cover screwheads on number plates (obviously different colours). I have kept the two 'pips' that fell out and intend to use some glue to keep them in, hopefully shouldn't need to get at the screws again (famous last words) but if I do then they are only plastic and will come off again with a wee bit of force. The ones illustrated would be fine for not so visible places but a bit too chunky for the more visible places.

Hi Big Momma

If you still have the "pips" that came off, use Blue Tack instead of glue to refit them.

Then if they do need to come off for any reason, you eliminate the possibility of the screwdriver slipping & damaging the furniture surface.

flicka - 2011-05-26 10:36 PM

Big Momma - 2011-05-26 4:35 PM

Hi Big Momma

If you still have the "pips" that came off, use Blue Tack instead of glue to refit them.

Then if they do need to come off for any reason, you eliminate the possibility of the screwdriver slipping & damaging the furniture surface.

Many thanks Flicka, I did have the very same thought after I wrote the post :-S

Archived