Motorhome Road tax cost

Brambles

Hi,

I am totally bewildered over what the road tax should be for my 2.0 JTD Motorhome under 3400kg 1st registered 2003. I am paying £215. But also seem to work out from the DVLA site it could be £210 or £245. The only section which says £215 is Private light goods registered before 2001.

I am so confused!!

So what is it those of you on here with similar aged M/homes are stumping up for road tax? Or anyone else know what it should be?

Jon.

The £215 is correct for PLG (which is the class your vehicle should fall in).

The website isn't the simplest to follow is it?

The correct figure is shown in the pdf which can be accessed from the main page under "the cost of Vehicle Tax for other types of vehicles" i.e.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067081.pdf

...and is shown under PLG Tax Class 11 somewhat down the page.

Thanks Robin, Bob and Casey for replies and the link Robin.

Glad I am not the onlty one who thinks it is confusing, and just got lost looking for it. Ah! well looks like £215 it is. All I need now is renew insurance and get MOT test carried out.

I'm sure they'll work out before long that there is an anomaly with PHG so much cheaper than PLG (and guess which one will be changed if they do! ;-) )

The reason I could find the figure realtively quickly is that I went chasing the details last year when I changed my 'van (and my tax class changed from PHG to PLG).

I knew that the anomaly existed, but in my memory it wasn't that much difference when I first got a PHG 'van - my previous two being in that class, so something like 9 years ago. My memory was a difference of around £5.

My van is over 3.5 ton and I pay more tax every year than you Brambles.

Heavy vans use more (heavily taxed) diesel fuel.

So........it is £165 up front and the rest in instalments. :D

sooty10 - 2011-06-07 10:04 PM

Is it possible to re-classify with DVLA from PLG to PHG. Then save money on next years tax.

Keith

Yes, but only by replating to a weight in excess of 3,500 kg and then possibly being restricted on driving licence class (if over 70?) and if going abroad adhering to the lower speed limits.

Keith.

Archived