Who would you have?

postnote

Actually it was a question, the answer to which I was unsure of.

Why you both felt the need to insult me instead of just answering politely is beyond my belief, but there again a supposedly superior education simply cannot install good manners into an inherantly rude person.

Which brings me on to your comments about bullying, yes it is a terrible thing for anyone to have to endure, including those who are constantly berated because their grammar does not meet the (unofficial) standards set by self opinionated forum members. I for one do not use spell checker on here, or any other forum, if I make a simple grammatical mistake I presume the other emembers do not foresee the end of civilisation as we know it.

And for your information, I take offence for nobody but myself, however, what I do take offence to is that you have tried to use the fact I mentioned my disabled relative, to score cheap points.

Times have changed, education has changed and peoples expectations of what is actually important in life has changed, you however, have yet to.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nowtelse2do - 2011-06-30 9:45 AM

Two teacher's on the thread, shouldn't you be on the picket line's. If you are struggling to come to term's with the fact that life is not perfect, I can give you an address in Switzerland which should ease your problem quite quickly.

No teacher; engineer.

Just asking for a bit of effort from those who consider themselves intelligent enough to write on this forum.

Teacher's, line's, term's. That's a joke, right? It's a job to be certain... *-)

oldlowie - 2011-06-30 10:01 AM

nowtelse2do - 2011-06-30 9:45 AM

Two teacher's on the thread, shouldn't you be on the picket line's. If you are struggling to come to term's with the fact that life is not perfect, I can give you an address in Switzerland which should ease your problem quite quickly.

No teacher; engineer.

Just asking for a bit of effort from those who consider themselves intelligent enough to write on this forum.

Teacher's, line's, term's. That's a joke, right? It's a job to be certain... *-)

See your learning, just trying to keep your brain active (left out the full stop).....clue !!

donna miller - 2011-06-30 9:55 AM

Why you both felt the need to insult me instead of just answering politely is beyond my belief,

And for your information, I take offence for nobody but myself, however, what I do take offence to is that you have tried to use the fact I mentioned my disabled relative, to score cheap points.

I can find no insult in my post, but I apologise if you perceived one. I thought I just appealed for a measure of care to be taken when forum members construct a sentence. It's fine in Motorhome Matters when grammar goes out of the window, because folks are exchanging information, but this is Chatterbox, for opinions, and unfortunately a poster's ignorance is laid bare by their inability to use the written word.

And yes, I have tried to use the fact that you mentioned your disabled relative to score cheap points. Please don't use any more of your relatives to do the same thing again. It's really not fair on them...

donna miller - 2011-06-30 9:55 AMActually it was a question, the answer to which I was unsure of.Why you both felt the need to insult me instead of just answering politely is beyond my belief, but there again a supposedly superior education simply cannot install good manners into an inherantly rude person.Which brings me on to your comments about bullying, yes it is a terrible thing for anyone to have to endure, including those who are constantly berated because their grammar does not meet the (unofficial) standards set by self opinionated forum members. I for one do not use spell checker on here, or any other forum, if I make a simple grammatical mistake I presume the other emembers do not foresee the end of civilisation as we know it.And for your information, I take offence for nobody but myself, however, what I do take offence to is that you have tried to use the fact I mentioned my disabled relative, to score cheap points.Times have changed, education has changed and peoples expectations of what is actually important in life has changed, you however, have yet to.

I don't believe for one minute that it was a question. Your cheap little silly spelling and the question itself was a dig at me because you thought I'd made a mistake and you couldn't resist having a go. If you were really unsure you could have Googled it in five seconds.

As for you bringing in your disabled relative that was an even cheaper debating point. The original question was about the sort of person that we would choose if we had to spend the rest of lives with, and with them alone.

My response was actually a little dig at Postnote, who seems to relish stirring things and I responded with the line that I wouldn't like to spend the rest of my life with someone who doesn't know where the apostrophes go.

Now that comment, if taken seriously, is obviously not just about apostrophes but is implying that if I were stranded on the proverbial desert island that I would prefer to have for my companion someone with a high standard of education, because that suggests a person with whom I could discuss the things that interest me such as literature, politics or geography.

If you are an average IQ working man you will choose your friends from those with whom you feel comfortable, that's how life works but for you to suggest that I somehow consider a Down's Syndrome person as inferior is appalling.

Let's be clear. I never judge people on their intelligence or education. Some of the nicest people I know are know are 'ordinary' folk and some of the nastiest I know are the brightest. Everyone has equal worth but, if I were asked the same question again I would answer in the same way.

If I were to be stranded for ever with one person I would want it to be someone who knows where the apostrophes go, because that implies a good education, which itself implies a high level of intelligence. On a camp site, or in the pub, I'll chat with anyone and enjoy it but I may not want it to go on for ever. Is that so unreasonable or hard to fathom?

Mr Walton.I have now reached the age of 66 and I must say that you are the biggest snob that I have ever encountered. The thread, which was intended to be light hearted has the making's of a episode of the two Ronnie's 'I'm better than you'

My friends cover most of the spectrum and I'm certainly glad that you are not one of them. End of Story.

oldlowie - 2011-06-30 11:20 AM

nowtelse2do - 2011-06-30 11:12 AM

My friends cover most of the spectrum and I'm certainly glad that you are not one of them. End of Story.

Shouldn't that be 'End of story.' ? Why the extra capital letter? :D :D :D

You are running a close second

nowtelse2do - 2011-06-30 11:12 AMMr Walton.I have now reached the age of 66 and I must say that you are the biggest snob that I have ever encountered. The thread, which was intended to be light hearted has the making's of a episode of the two Ronnie's 'I'm better than you'My friends cover most of the spectrum and I'm certainly glad that you are not one of them. End of Story.

This is a good example of why I too couldn't consider spending a long time cooped up with you. I thought that I'd made it perfectly clear above that I never value people's real worth on their education or intelligence, perhaps you didn't read my post in full?

I would be very happy to chat with you on a campsite and help you if you're in trouble, but there is no way that I could endure you for a long time. That's because we are so very different and that goes for you as well. You wouldn't be able to endure me for very long, but I've no problem with that whatsoever. Does that make you an inverse snob? Of course it doesn't!

Please try to understand the main gist of this debate. It's about whom you would choose to be stranded with for the rest of your life. I've made it clear the type of person I would like but that doesn't seem to find favour with you and makes me a snob. I think not.

And as for light-hearted! That was the intention of my original post, which was having a little dig at Postnote, but it's others who quickly became obnoxious and wound up.

I'm no snob and if you knew many of my friends with whom I walk and climb you'd know that. But whilst some of them are good friends, they're the last people I'd want to be cooped up with for several years - and them with me. Are you getting it yet?

francisgraham - 2011-06-30 10:36 AM

As for you bringing in your disabled relative that was an even cheaper debating point. The original question was about the sort of person that we would choose if we had to spend the rest of lives with, and with them alone

to suggest that I somehow consider a Down's Syndrome person as inferior is appalling

This will be my final word to you, as I find you uncouth, patronising and extremely up yourself.

YOU, in your earlier posts infered that those of us whose grammar was below your intellectual standards, were somehow unworthy of your attention and that we lacked education. I however merely pointed out that being able to put a (relatively unused in modern day society) apostrophe into a sentance did not imply or indeed guarantee intelligence. You have now tried to turn the situation to imply I somehow had an agenda with my relative. Get over yourself.

Make of it what you will,

donna miller - 2011-06-30 1:01 PM
francisgraham - 2011-06-30 10:36 AMAs for you bringing in your disabled relative that was an even cheaper debating point. The original question was about the sort of person that we would choose if we had to spend the rest of lives with, and with them aloneto suggest that I somehow consider a Down's Syndrome person as inferior is appalling
This will be my final word to you, as I find you uncouth, patronising and extremely up yourself.YOU, in your earlier posts infered that those of us whose grammar was below your intellectual standards, were somehow unworthy of your attention and that we lacked education. I however merely pointed out that being able to put a (relatively unused in modern day society) apostrophe into a sentance did not imply or indeed guarantee intelligence. You have now tried to turn the situation to imply I somehow had an agenda with my relative. Get over yourself.Make of it what you will,

What a silly person you are. Show me once where I have implied that anyone is unworthy of my attention. All along I've made it clear that I'm talking about a choice of someone to put up with for years and I also made it clear that I fully understand why others wouldn't put up with me! You are the one who introduced this disgraceful red-herring about your Down's Syndrome relative. If ever there was a cheap, unintelligent and unworthy debating tactic it was that.

And as for uncouth, do you even understand what the word means? Where I have been uncouth? Let me make it clear once again for people such as you who have trouble understanding simple logic. This debate was about the people whom you'd wish to share eternity with, not about how you value anyone else. If I had to choose such a person I'd want him or her to have the characteristics that I have already mentioned. This does not mean that I value anyone else as being less worthy than me. Is that so hard to understand? It obviously is for you which is why you wouldn't be on my list.

Francis Graham:

"Please try to understand the main gist of this debate. It's about whom you would choose to be stranded with for the rest of your life."

NO IT IS NOT, you babbling idiot!

Did you ever actually read the original post?

If so, and given your-self-proclaimed expertise in English, how for pities sake could you mis-construe it so badly?

Here is the actual proposition yet again: "...if you could go away anywhere in your motorhome with someone of your dreams who would it be?".

Can you de-construct that now?

1. Name a chosen companion, for an UNDEFINED period of time, NOT "for the rest of your life".

2. On a trip in your motorhome, NOT "stranded for the rest of your life" on a desert island.

BGD - 2011-06-30 1:41 PMFrancis Graham:"Please try to understand the main gist of this debate. It's about whom you would choose to be stranded with for the rest of your life."NO IT IS NOT, you babbling idiot!Did you ever actually read the original post? If so, and given your-self-proclaimed expertise in English, how for pities sake could you mis-construe it so badly?Here is the actual proposition yet again: "...if you could go away anywhere in your motorhome with someone of your dreams who would it be?".Can you de-construct that now?1. Name a chosen companion, for an UNDEFINED period of time, NOT "for the rest of your life".2. On a trip in your motorhome, NOT "stranded for the rest of your life" on a desert island.

I think that you should start from the beginning before throwing insults around! The original post said:

'As like Desert Island Discs, if you could go away anywhere in your motorhome with someone of your dreams who would it be?'

Now that to me quite clearly implies being stuck with someone for a long, long time. You have heard 'Desert Island Discs' I presume? People are told that they'll be there forever.

I expanded on this and mentioned whom I wouldn't like if I were on a desert island and as I said before it was actually a bit of a go at Postnote, who himself relishes stirring. Desert island? Motor-home? What does it matter? The main thrust is the person or person whom you'd like to accompany you AS LIKE DESERT ISLAND DISCS.

What kind of babbling idiot could miss the 'Desert Island Discs' connotation and its obvious implications? We've found one it would appear.

francisgraham - 2011-06-30 2:27 PM

I think that you should start from the beginning before throwing insults around! The original post said:

'As like Desert Island Discs, if you could go away anywhere in your motorhome with someone of your dreams who would it be?'

Now that to me quite clearly implies being stuck with someone for a long, long time. You have heard 'Desert Island Discs' I presume? People are told that they'll be there forever.

I expanded on this and mentioned whom I wouldn't like if I were on a desert island and as I said before it was actually a bit of a go at Postnote, who himself relishes stirring. Desert island? Motor-home? What does it matter? The main thrust is the person or person whom you'd like to accompany you AS LIKE DESERT ISLAND DISCS.

What kind of babbling idiot could miss the 'Desert Island Discs' connotation and its obvious implications? We've found one it would appear.

And your point is, I thought it a good topic, explain connotation to the babbling idiots. (lol)

I propose a vote.........

The facts to consider are as follows.

You are stranded on a desert island full of discs, you are in your motorhome but it is useless apart from offering parts for your survival..

There are only 3 people that could possibly join you.

You can only have 2 other people with you.

You will be there for 6 months.

The candidates you have to choose from, frequent this forum, but shall remain nameless, Your choice of companions are............

An ex-pat who can entertain you throughout the dreary nights with song and tales and who can also be very practical .

A very knowledgeable man with hardly any hair, but with a background in construction.

Some one who can spell.

Sorry guys, but none of the ladies are available, we are on our own island and having FUN !!!!!

donna miller - 2011-06-30 3:14 PM

Sorry guys, but none of the ladies are available, we are on our own island and having FUN !!!!!

Spoil us and let us have the bloke who was asking about inflatable canoes. Then we could paddle across to the ladies island.

(just to make sure they were OK of course)

"An ex-pat who can entertain you throughout the dreary nights with song and tales and who can also be very practical .

A very knowledgeable man with hardly any hair, but with a background in construction.

Some one who can spell"

One question Donna, which one has the biggest tits?

pkc - 2011-06-30 3:49 PM

"An ex-pat who can entertain you throughout the dreary nights with song and tales and who can also be very practical .

"Some one who can spell.

One question Donna, which one has the biggest tits?

You by the sound of it! (lol)

AliB - 2011-06-30 3:39 PM

Spoil us and let us have the bloke who was asking about inflatable canoes. Then we could paddle across to the ladies island.

(just to make sure they were OK of course)

Really, I would be more inclined to go for the guy who ANSWERED the question about canoes, at least you could be sure on getting someone who knew what they were talking about, and not a novice. :-D

Good answer though.

Archived