Newbie to motorhomes

marydot

Hi folks, after about 22 years of owning caravans, we have just signed a deal on our first motorhome - and its a bit scarey! OH was getting a bit creaky when it came to hitching and unhitching, winding legs up and down etc, and we decided it was time to go over to the dark side with the rest of you!

We will soon become the owners of a 2003 Autocruise Cheyenne 635 SE, which has a Mercedes 2.1 diesel engine.

No doubt we will have lots of daft questions to ask, as it's just becoming clear to us how different a concept it is from owning a caravan.

Daft question no. 1. No more pulling an aquaroll about, but what lengthh of hose would be reasonable for filling a water tank?

and no 2 - where can we find out about spots for wild camping, as we are dying to just set off and pull over for the night wherever we want. We are aware that it needs to be a safe spot, set back from the road.

Any other hints, tips etc gratefully received.

The water hose needs to be long enough to reach the tap but no so long as it takes up to much space :-D

About 4 metres is enough, after that use a 10 ltr watering can.

Wild camping is not allowed in England, but you may park overnight anywhere where it isn't banned, in fact in most places, I park on beach fronts, car parks, side roads, anywhere out of the way, just be a bit sensitive and you will be fine.

Many pubs are happy to allow an overnight stop for the price of a meal and a pint.

The very best parking is to be found abroad, France has the excellent "Aires de camping", Spain has a few and more are opening, Portugal has some but allows "parking" on many beach car parks. The weather is (usually) better as well.

I switched from a caravan to a motorhome as well, there are many differences as well as similarities, motorhome owners are without doubt more friendly, regardless of nationality.

I will have to say it again, get on the ferry, go to France, the Town councils actually like the motorhomes and the money they bring in. Unlike most Councils in England who spend a lot of time and money finding ways to keep us away. That's fine with me, I will spend my money where it is welcome.

I could write a book on tips as can most of the experienced m/homers on here, so it's probably best to ask questions as they arise.

Have a look at "Vicarious Books" website for excellent guides to the continental aires.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/ has some good stops.

H

Welcome aboard Mary!

One thing which you may find very useful is the "search" facility....look up a bit on your screen when on this page and you should spot it.

Click on it, then type in any key words, (eg "wildcamping") and enter; and it'll bring up a list of all the previous threads on that subject which you can then have a read through....there probably isn't too much that hasn't been kicked around here at some previous point!

Hosepipe length?

I carry a 10metre and also a 20 metre length of ordinary cheapo garden hose, with the click-connectors attached so that I can join them if needed.

In practice I almost never use anything except the 10 metre length, as I park close to the tap at garages/sites to fill up.

Our tank capacity is about 110 litres of fresh water and that'll keep the two of us going for 3 or 4 days easily...we use it for showering, toilet flushing, washing up, but not for drinking (we carry a couple of the 5 litre containers of bottled water for that).

One thing that is worth carrying is several different types of tap-connectors: screw on/push-fit etc, to cope with the variety of taps in the UK and more particularly elsewhere in Europe.

Hi Mary and welcome to the forum,

We carry 3 different hoses, approx 2m for when we can get near enough, a 20m reel for when we can't and finally a 6" length with a funnel pushed in and a 10 litre container for when we want to bring the water to the MH.

Good choice on your new MH, but being slightly pedantic it's an Auto-Trail Cheyenne not Autocruise :$

And even better choice on the Merc base, our's is excellent and we're so glad we got that option.

Have you thought of joining the ATOC. They hold regular rallies and an excellent annual factory rally. Well worth thinking about.

Keith.

One thing with a motorhome you can just pull up and put the kettle on and have a cuppa quicker than you can wind the caravan steadies down, ,And as for France motorhoming we have just had 10 days around Normandy for the pricely sum of £275 which included the cost of Eurotunnell we paid only for diesel @ an avarage of £1.12 pltr with a mpg of 33mpg. Happy Motorhoming.

I use a 10m water hose that I scrounged from my neighbour a good few years ago. It's branded "Black & Decker" and is the flat wind-on-a reel type that takes up very little storage space. I also have a wide variety of tap adapters as (in France at least) there's no standardisation. I've yet to be beaten by a French campsite water-supply, though I did once have to resort to duct-tape.

We don't motorcaravan in the UK, neither do we 'wild camp' as I view the meaning of the term. In France we use (cheap) campsites, aires de services camping-car, the France Passion scheme and (only if we must) the occasional roadside lay-by.

This website link may be useful:

http://www.thehappycampers.co.uk/campsites/wildcamping/

Welcome,

We too were tuggers and this is our first Motorhome 3 years on and would never go back to tugging.

Hoses we carry a 5m & 10m also a 20m roll flat one for emergencies all with hose connectors so they can be coupled together, only used the 20m once in 3 years worth keeping on board doesn't take up much room as I took it off the cassette, you will also need a collection of tap connectors.

For wild camping http://www.wildcamping.co.uk

As said France is Motorhome heaven but no one has mentioned Germany equally as good as France & much underestimated as a tourist destination Aires = Stellplatz in Germany.

900411968_Hosescollection.jpg.6b4401dd644deec9553a77683d0b173f.jpg

I use one of those curly hoses that you see advertised in the freebie book that comes in the Sunday papers fairly often-the one that sells 10,000 things you never need like portable bidets and things for putting your socks on etc.............I digress!

The hose came with a screw connector already fitted and a push connector at the other end complete-as said in earlier post would suggest you get a mixture of connectors to cover every eventuality especially in Europe. It coils itself up for travelling and stretches to about 10 metres.

One further point is we always travel with full tanks which a lot of people say is wrong but we have found it's better to turn up with 3 days supply of water than to be searching for a (possibly broken) tap in Europe in the dark.

A full tank should give you 3 days showers, toilet & washing up at least.-You have to practice with the shower so as not to waste it. The fuel consumption doesn't change on my van carrying the water-or if it does I don't notice any significance.

For wild camping in France try this site-it's free and easy to use:

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Final word on wild camping re security, I would suggest you always activate your alarm when you bed down for the night but just knock out the interior ultrasonics, a lot safer than just locking the doors

Enjoy yourselves

Mike

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Keithl, I apologise profusely for writing Autocruise instead of Autotrail! :$ Just a slip of the keyboard!

We are hoping to become 'Snowbirds' next year when we can hang up the working clothes and would like to know where to go, when to go (for the best weather). Thinking Spain or France, and need to be among other Brits as I only have a tiny sprinkling of schoolgirl French, still, we can always mime!

Mary

marydot - 2011-07-05 8:59 PM

Keithl, I apologise profusely for writing Autocruise instead of Autotrail! :$ Just a slip of the keyboard!

We are hoping to become 'Snowbirds' next year when we can hang up the working clothes and would like to know where to go, when to go (for the best weather). Thinking Spain or France, and need to be among other Brits as I only have a tiny sprinkling of schoolgirl French, still, we can always mime!

Mary

You may have to winterise your van as most UK built vans are only 3 season vans with external tanks & plumbing. You will need to insulate the tanks & plumbing and fit tank heaters.

marydot - 2011-07-05 9:59 PM

Mary

Welcome Mary. We live in the South West of France and have started to go to Portugal for December, January and February to get a bit more warmth. There are parts of France that are very cold in Winter. I would head further South if you can.

As your an ex tugger you are no doubt a member of one or both of the main clubs...CC and the C&CC so you will have the sites books..I would recommend the All the Aires Book from Vicarious Books and of course the ACSI book..we used the ACSI book to give us ideas for sites in France..Some of the out of season discounts are good value too

Reading a lot of these posts on touring France and of course the UK makes me so jealous and makes me wish we hadn't sold our Motorhome now..However a return to full time motorhoming is on the cards from the middle of next year:: Try this link http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk for the All the Aires books and others

As we live in the north of England, it takes a load of fuel toget to ferry ports in the south of England. Has anyone done cost comparison between the conventional Dover - Calais routes, and a North Sea Ferry from say Hull or Newcastle, and driving south from Holland? Or a crossing to Santander to get to

a long stay site in Portugal or Spain?

Guest pelmetman
At the moment I would think the cheapest way is to use Tesco (although I can't stand the company) and use the club card points to get cheap/free chunnel crossings:D..........As fuel is a little cheaper but there's not a lot of saving if any to be had by driving down through Belgium etc:D............. 

marydot - 2011-07-06 8:43 PM

As we live in the north of England, it takes a load of fuel toget to ferry ports in the south of England. Has anyone done cost comparison between the conventional Dover - Calais routes, and a North Sea Ferry from say Hull or Newcastle, and driving south from Holland? Or a crossing to Santander to get to

We are looking at a trip to Southern Spain later in the year, so a quick comparison to give you a guide.

As you are in the North of England, for comparison I’ll use Hull as Zero miles, with a 6m long x 3m high Motorhome, for 2 Adults & this weekend crossing back end July w/e to Malaga, southern Spain. Based on 30mpg. (6.6miles per litre @ £1.30 per litre)

All using Fastest route (so Toll charges would have to be added to the figures below) or increase the mileage figures if avoiding Toll Roads.

Hull – Rotterdam Ferry £154 each way + 2760 miles(41hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £543 = Total = £851

Hull – Zeebrugge Ferry£103 out £113 return +2590 miles (39 hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £510 = Total = £726

Dover – Calais £56 out £50 return (P&O) +3140 miles (48 hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £620 = Total = £726 (includes Hull to Dover)

Eurotunnel £88 out £82 return +3165 miles (49 hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £624 = Total = £780 (includes Hull to Folkstone)

Eurotunnel (using Tesco Vouchers £170/3 = Rounded £60) +3165 miles (49 hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £624 = Total = £668 (includes Hull to Folkstone)

Portsmouth – Santander £1059 out/return +3095 miles (53 hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £610 = Total = £1669 (includes Hull to Portsmouth)

So for travelling time the Hull to Zeebrugge route is beneficial and only has a cost premium of £58 compared to Eurotunnel IF using Tesco vouchers.

Hope this helps.

flicka - 2011-07-06 10:19 PM

We are looking at a trip to Southern Spain later in the year, so a quick comparison to give you a guide.

As you are in the North of England, for comparison I’ll use Hull as Zero miles, with a 6m long x 3m high Motorhome, for 2 Adults & this weekend crossing back end July w/e to Malaga, southern Spain. Based on 30mpg. (6.6miles per litre @ £1.30 per litre)

All using Fastest route (so Toll charges would have to be added to the figures below) or increase the mileage figures if avoiding Toll Roads.

Hull – Rotterdam Ferry £154 each way + 2760 miles(41hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £543 = Total = £851

Hull – Zeebrugge Ferry£103 out £113 return +2590 miles (39 hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £510 = Total = £726

Dover – Calais £56 out £50 return (P&O) +3140 miles (48 hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £620 = Total = £726 (includes Hull to Dover)

Eurotunnel £88 out £82 return +3165 miles (49 hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £624 = Total = £780 (includes Hull to Folkstone)

Eurotunnel (using Tesco Vouchers £170/3 = Rounded £60) +3165 miles (49 hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £624 = Total = £668 (includes Hull to Folkstone)

Portsmouth – Santander £1059 out/return +3095 miles (53 hours travel time) round trip divided by 6.6mpL = approx £610 = Total = £1669 (includes Hull to Portsmouth)

So for travelling time the Hull to Zeebrugge route is beneficial and only has a cost premium of £58 compared to Eurotunnel IF using Tesco vouchers.

Hope this helps.

John,

where do you get those fares from Hull (to Zeebrugge/Rotterdam) from?

It's an option I've looked at several times, and I can't make it cost in for me! I get fares much higher than those!

One of us must be doing something wrong, and I hope it's me, as travelling from Hull would be a good choice.

(We used to do Felixstowe-Zeebrugge before the service was withdrawn - now it's unremittingly Dover Calais after two poor experiences with the Chunnel).

Thanks for that detailed reply, flicka, although we have been advised we will probaly get 25mpg from or Mercedes 2.1 diesel engine. Looks like I'll be using the Tesco vouchers again. We used them to cross to N Ireland a couple of years ago with our caravan. Cairnryan to Larne was some ridiculously high amount of money, wouldn't have gone without the Tesco vouchers, so will put up with the Tesco stores if just for that reason alone.

marydot - 2011-07-07 10:23 AM

Thanks for that detailed reply, flicka, although we have been advised we will probaly get 25mpg from or Mercedes 2.1 diesel engine. Looks like I'll be using the Tesco vouchers again. We used them to cross to N Ireland a couple of years ago with our caravan. Cairnryan to Larne was some ridiculously high amount of money, wouldn't have gone without the Tesco vouchers, so will put up with the Tesco stores if just for that reason alone.

If you're still a member of the Caravan Club, check them out-I got massive discounts on 4 ferry crossings for this year compared with booking direct with ferry companies and they also threw in 7 camping cheques foc

Worth a try before you book

Mike

Robinhood - 2011-07-06 11:45 PM John, where do you get those fares from Hull (to Zeebrugge/Rotterdam) from? It's an option I've looked at several times, and I can't make it cost in for me! I get fares much higher than those! One of us must be doing something wrong, and I hope it's me, as travelling from Hull would be a good choice. (We used to do Felixstowe-Zeebrugge before the service was withdrawn - now it's unremittingly Dover Calais after two poor experiences with the Chunnel).

Must admit that I checked the distance between Hull and Portsmouth and Santander to Malaga with Viamichelin the round trip equals 1772(3095) land miles which equate to circa 30 (54) hours driving at a cost of £ 362(£610) +£1059 Ferry = £1421 so a cruise for 48 hours as an added incentive.  B-)

But maybe my slide rule and atlas are in error? or when I checked this on my PS2.........................

Robinhood - 2011-07-06 10:45 PM

flicka - 2011-07-06 10:19 PM

Hope this helps.

John,

It's an option I've looked at several times, and I can't make it cost in for me! I get fares much higher than those!

One of us must be doing something wrong, and I hope it's me, as travelling from Hull would be a good choice.

(We used to do Felixstowe-Zeebrugge before the service was withdrawn - now it's unremittingly Dover Calais after two poor experiences with the Chunnel).

Well I took a screen print & that shows the prices as I stated in above post, but I've rechecked the P&O Ferries website today & can no longer obtain those prices shown.

Pity as they did look good & I had also rechecked for Rotterdam before posting.

Today (out this weekend 9th July, back 30th July)

Rotterdam now £274 out £324 return so increases by £290 to Total £1141

Zeebrugge now £324 each way, so increase by £422 to Total £1148

Regarding the mileages - most route finders will come up with differing mileage for the same start / finish points,

flicka - 2011-07-07 9:34 PM

Robinhood - 2011-07-06 10:45 PM

John,

Well I took a screen print & that shows the prices as I stated in above post, but I've rechecked the P&O Ferries website today & can no longer obtain those prices shown.

Pity as they did look good & I had also rechecked for Rotterdam before posting.

Today (out this weekend 9th July, back 30th July)

Rotterdam now £274 out £324 return so increases by £290 to Total £1141

Zeebrugge now £324 each way, so increase by £422 to Total £1148

Regarding the mileages - most route finders will come up with differing mileage for the same start / finish points,

Thanks, John.

I'm half happy and half not.

I'd have been really unhappy if I'd been working on the wrong price assumption all the time; on the other hand, I would really have liked the option of a short drive and overnight crossing at a reasonable price :-(

Archived